Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anybody have any real world experience of the Hope RX4 road disks
  • Bruce

The Shimano rear caliper on my Genesis CDF is starting to squeal. I am considering replacing the caliper with some Hope RX4 calipers and would be very interested if anybody had any experience of these.
    Thanks

Ben_H

No – but I’m interested, too. (I posted a while ago asking the same).

I may just go for them anyway.

Bruce

I think in the absence of any advice I am just going to have to buy some.

I will report back when they are fitted and tested.

Ben_H

I will probably order some today, to go with R8020 Ultegra shifters.

My new frame won’t be ready until late October and the shifters may not be available until then, too – so I’d be interested to hear in the meantime.

13thfloormonk

There’s a relatively recent thread on road.cc forum about road discs

Road disc problems thread

Somebody made a very brief comment about the Hope discs, seemed to like them.

Bruce

Thanks for that Mr Monk:)

DezB
    Free Member

Road disc problems thread

Blimey. What’s up with people? 😆

13thfloormonk

I dunno, I thought that was a fairly reasonable thread, apart from roadie’s aversion to sanding rotors (not saying it’s something you’d do very often but it always seems worth trying).

Try to guess which contributor I am, as a serial bothered of this forum with my disc brake problems 😀

DezB
    Free Member

No idea, but kevvjj is the only one who talks sense 😉

philjunior
    Free Member

Is there a leak on the caliper?

If not, replacing it seems a bit severe and potentially ineffective – particularly on a rear brake I’d be more keen to make sure I wasn’t getting oil on it from the drivetrain etc. and to clean everything up first.

Not that the idea of a hope caliper doesn’t sound nice!

Bruce

The first set of disk calipers spread a nice thick layer of oil all over the rear brake. The current caliper looks like it’s doing something similar.
    We have lots of bikes with disks and the only brakes to give frequent problems are the Shimano brakes. Shimano will do what they always do, pretend there is no problem and quietly fix it in the background, but I am going get something that does work reliably.

mrwalker
    Free Member

I’ve got one on the front of my Stoater (and one in a box which should be on the back but isn’t, yet).

This was as easy to install as the Shimano ones, except I needed to shim the adapter out a bit to stop the calliper hitting it & getting out of alignment when tightened. I had to pump each of the four pistons out & push them back a few times – some seemed a bit sticky. When the pads were new I couldn’t stop it dragging a bit. Now they’d bedded in & the pistons pushed back again it’s fine.

This is at least as powerful as the Shimano ones. I don’t think there’s much more clearance if dragging / rubbing is a problem for you. This one is squealing a bit, but it’s nothing like the honking from the Shimano ones with oil on the pads.

DezB
    Free Member

How does the price compare with Shimano? I paid £50 to replace a RS785 calliper.

mrwalker
    Free Member

Nearer to £75 per calliper I think.

DezB
    Free Member

Not bad, cheers.

Bruce

Thanks that useful.I just want a rear brake that works and doesn’t howl.
    I took the plunge and ordered some yesterday.

simondbarnes

I took the plunge and ordered some yesterday.

They’re lovely. Sorry, but they’ve got my fingerprints on them now 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XxqW8w]Hope RX4 caliper[/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

owleggs
    Free Member

Help! I’ve just picked up some rx4 calipers and a hope ‘A-post’ IS to post mount brake caliper adaptor for the fork of my new croix de fer frameset but there isn’t enough clearance between the big piston on the caliper and the adaptor itself for the bolt holes on the caliper to sit flush with the holes on the adaptor (almost a 5mm gap!).

What mount did you use for your stoater ‘mrwalker’?

Has anyone else found an IS to post caliper adaptor that has the clearance for fitting this caliper to an IS mount fork?

Any help would be appreciated.

simondbarnes

Has anyone else found an IS to post caliper adaptor that has the clearance for fitting this caliper to an IS mount fork?

Failed to find one here so modified (I think) a 180 rear adaptor. Would have thought that it would be easy for Hope to make one but hey ho.

Bruce

Thank you Simon and the other chaps at Bikeshak who went well beyond what was reasonable to fit my Hope calipers.

I can report that both brakes are working perfectly with no wailing or any other problems.

Thanks to Bikeshak 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

Those Hope calipers don’t look very aero, especially compared to Shimano and SRAMs offerings.

DezB
    Free Member

Hopefully a mag will do a “wind drag factor” test on road calipers one day 😆

dragon
    Free Member

You’ll need to speak German, their mags love that stuff. TBF our mags are shocking for any kind of technical info, I’d consider reading them again, if they did proper data driven tests than subjective nonsense.

DezB
    Free Member

You’d really be interested in that then? 😯

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

They look great.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Is there a specific bleed kit for these brakes?

I see there is not the usual Hope bleed nipple.

Thanks Max

variflex
    Free Member

i’ve got a set on my cx bike as hated cable

discs. they were a bit tricky to get the right adapters for and in the end used sram post mount stacks (thick spacers basically). bleed using reverb syringe as it has the right connection on nozzle.

performance wise they are mega, almost too

powerful but with loads of modulation. well worth the money spent in my view

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anybody have any real world experience of the Hope RX4 road disks’ is closed to new replies.