Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Any Vizsla owners on the forum??
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Following on from my other post (Other post) are there any Vizsla owners on the forum I can ask some breed specific advice of?

Main one is, once we’ve walked / run / exercised the dog in the morning – will the dog give us a chance to get on with our work for the rest of the day? Like I mentioned in my other post we’ve only seen dogs when they’ve been out for a walk or round the breeders where they are always really happy to see you.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve got a 7 year old and a 6 month old.

The routine is… 15 minute walk in the morning, 45-60 minute walk lunchtime, 15 minute walk (longer if it’s nice) in the evening.

The old one snoozes all day. The young one alternates between snoozing, chasing the cat and collecting sticks in the garden. No problem getting on with work.

In the evening they need some entertainment. Either finding things or raw hide bones.

Weekends are the opposite. Walks during the day or they mess around in the garden while we’re outside and they snooze in the evening.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

5thElefant – what do you do for work?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I sit at a computer all day. Having a phone stuck to my ear features for much of the day.

I occasionally end up with a dog sleeping on my lap during conference calls.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

That’s good to know, we’re similar but both my wife and I have to go and visit customers but we’re normally around mostly and I’m actually keen to take the dog out for walks during the day just to get away from the PC/phone when I am working at home.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The first couple of months are tough. Once the routine is set they stick to it. They can tell the time. They come and get you when it’s time for a walk. They even know about BST.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

LOL! I’ve heard they are really intelligent.

I’ve got 3 months gardening leave so the chance of a 7month old puppy arriving in the next few weeks would work really well to get it in that initial routine before I start my new job.

5thElefant
    Free Member

During the day…

Later in the evening…

mindmap3
    Free Member

They’re great dogs. My uncle and aunt had one called Digby who was ace, but needed a lot if attention. If he didn’t get it he was a pain in the bum. I stayed with them whilst finishing my degree for some sine peace and quiet and ended up spending a lot of time with him. He’d insist on trying to sit on my lap whilst I was at the computer (and often succeeded!).

At first he slept in the kitchen at night but he’d howl all night and started chewing everything but he then ended up sleeping on the floor at the foot of their bed and he wouldnt make a noise all night. Another time, I remember taking him for an early morning walk with my uncle and in the way back we stopped to grab a paper and left him in the car for five minutes. We came back to find that he’d knocked down the dog guard and p*ssed all over the drivers seat in protest. I thought it was pretty funny.

The above makes him sound like a nightmare but he wasn’t really he just wanted to be with people. Someone living in their courtyard had one called Barney who was much the same; he went everywhere with his owner.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

My mother has a bitch called Kayla. She is a wonderful dog. Amazingly friendly and eager to please, brings you presents when you walk through the door, (usually her entire bed). She needs a lot of exercise to ensure she’s calmer in the evenings, but I guess a big part of that is her age. She’s fab.

5thElefant
    Free Member

All the above is true. 😆 They are known as velcro dogs for a reason.

Our puppy still sleeps in a cage, the big one on the sofa, but if he hears one of us get up early in the morning to go to the toilet he takes it as a prompt to get into bed with us.

Every visitor gets a gift. Except delivery men, they get seen off.

mindmap3
    Free Member

They are my favourite breed of dog and I’d have one in a heartbeat if our lifestyle was suitable but unfortunately we’re both out all day so it wouldn’t be fair on any dog.

Not only are they very loyal and clever but they’re damn good looking dogs too.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Great photos there 5thElefant – all you hear on the internet and speaking to people (either owners or people familiar with the breed) is how much exercise they need and you don’t hear about how active they are outside of this – we’re OK with the exercise side but my wife is starting to get worried that they never have any downtime and will be constantly on the go – I’ve always assumed they will chill on the sofa and sleep but not how much they will do that so she has a good point in raising the concern.

Your photos show they do relax.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Even when camping 😉

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Plumtouch! 😆

Brainflex

mental stimulation is good for em as well as physical.

obelix
    Free Member

Serious set of ‘nads on that Viszla there…

I’ve got a working cocker spaniel myself (not the more common and more urbanised show variation). It’s also a breed with a tremendously high energy level. I find that if he’s taken out for two long walks a day, he’s fine. one walk of half an hour and another of an hour plus. This includes a decent session of ball-throwing, as this is the canine equivalent of interval training and wears them out good and proper.

I also take him out whenever I go for a ride. He’ll come back dirty as hell, but will love you all the more for it. If it’s a long enough ride he will be pretty worn out even into the following day, and you can skip the fetch session. I haven’t trained my guy overly much, but have developed a decent recall. Use a whistle, because if there’s a forest near you and he takes off after deer or rabbits, he’ll be out of voice range in no time.

Overall, it’s awesome having an energetic, intelligent and friendly dog. Can’t help it, but I do sometimes feel sorry for those with ankle-biter yorkies or scotties, because they miss out on so much of what owning a dog can be.

lilac2009
    Free Member

Hi Bushwacked
    Just out of curiosity, do you have to pay the breeder for the 7 month old pup?

dab

Ha ha all very apt
    I collect my Vizsla pup this weekend

Going to be an interesting few weeks 😉

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Lilac – I’m expecting to pay for it but don’t know if that is the case.

Dab – we’ll need photos – how’s it going?

psling
    Free Member

My next door neighbour has one. He’s out running around all day, curled up all evening. They ride (horses) and he runs out with them which is fine if he stays with them; if he wonders off on a scent he’s got no sense of direction (although he does always seem to find his way back through the woods to the pub 😉 ).
    Earns best part of four figures every time he’s introduced to a bitch, too…

lilac2009
    Free Member

[Bushwacked – Member
    Lilac – I’m expecting to pay for it but don’t know if that is the case.]

I wouldn’t think you should pay for a dog that has been returned to the breeder as that means they get paid twice for the same dog. Look in to your breeder before you take the pup from her. Some breeders are all about the money and appear to be so helpful then they turn out to be a lot different.
    You can get in touch with the Hungarian Vizsla Society for information on breeders, be careful, you don’t want to regret your decision. 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Lilac – The money will be going to the owner not the breeder and plus the breeder is well recognised as a leading light in the Vizsla world of breeders – we’ve chosen very carefully hence why we’ve waited nearly 2 years.

To be honest the HVS wasn’t as helpful as I’d hoped.

lilac2009
    Free Member

Hi Bushwacked,
    I wonder where you get your info re the breeder, as I recognise the place from your pic of your wife, that’s the only reason I commented.
    I’m sure you’ve done your research, hope you have a lovely time with your new addition. 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Lilac – drop me an email as I’m curious. barnt at hotmail dot com

lilac2009
    Free Member

Hi Bushwacked,
    Just to say that if the previous owners emigrated then surely they would have been planning long before they had a new pup 5 months ago.
    No money would go to the previous owners as when you buy a pup you sign a contract stating that the dog must be returned to the breeder if there are rehoming issues and you do not get your money back. So with that in mind you should not be paying any money for any dog requiring rehoming really, otherwise the breeder cashes in twice.[funding their next expedition abroad]
    Leading lights in the dog breeding community are usually people who care so much about the breed that they don’t breed prolifically. Otherwise it appears as much more a “money making” exercise than caring about the breed.
    I have attached a link for the Hungarian Vizsla Club which is a branch of the Hungarian Vizsla Welfare Charity. I quote a section from this site
    “PLEASE BE VERY CAUTIOUS OF WEBSITES OTHER THAN THE TWO OFFICIAL BREED SITES -THIS ONE AND HUNGARIAN VIZSLA SOCIETY. Many websites are very attractive, but some could actually be more interested in the money that results from selling the large numbers of puppies being bred by some website owners. Until fairly recently, respected Vizsla breeders never advertised their puppies – they were accessed via the HV Club and HV Society puppy lines or by word of mouth.”

http://www.hungarianvizslaclub.org.uk/About.html
    http://www.hungarianvizslawelfare.org.uk

I don’t wish to go into detail but I have 1st hand experience and I would go to a rehoming Charity before a breeder, just to see if there may be a chance of acquiring a pup from rescue. Yes you may have to give a donation but at least the money goes to a good cause & you get support throughout the dogs life.
    There are far too many of these beautiful dogs being bred compromising their temperaments.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Like I said – email me to discuss as I’m not going to go into any further details on this forum.

lilac2009
    Free Member

That’s ok Bushwacked I think it’s all been covered, nothing to add, I wish someone had been able to give me & others more unbiased info years ago.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’m still keen to discuss as I think you have mistaken the location of that photo and I won’t reveal any information which could identify what I understand and believe to be a reputable breeder from first hand knowledge and speaking to people within the breed.

Like I said, email me if you have nothing to hide as I want to make the right decision.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Spoken to the HVS and have been told I would end up with lovely puppy from this breeder.

lilac2009
    Free Member

ok

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Any Vizsla owners on the forum??’ is closed to new replies.