Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any Swaledale locals able to offer some good MTB routes?
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Hi,

Is anyone able to suggest some MTB routes from/near Reeth (aside from the Gunnerside Gill route)? I’ve a couple of days biking there with a mate in a few days time.

I do have the Yourshire guide book so guess I’m wondering if local knowledge has better routes/link-ups compared to the book.

Cheers for any help.

aracer
    Free Member
    yorkshire89
    Free Member

Dales bike centre sent me a few routes over starting from their shop.
    Email in profile if you want me to send them over 🙂

mt
    Free Member

Speak to Stu at Dales Bike Centre. Also try the cakes and coffee, nowt better after a ride.

pocpoc
    Free Member

There’s a route starting from Dale Bike Centre in this months MBUK – and a few page feature on the same ride.
    The one with Peaty on the cover if it’s still in shops.

muddy9mtb

it’s all rideable! do the north side of the river saturday – taking in Fremington edge climb work your way as per Yorkshire89 second photo. if your not fit enough to the big south climb after gunnerside you can work your back to reeth via the riverside bridleway (good fun and worth a visit) Second day do the south side and get in a few descents. expect long climbs and long descents and a big grin. dales centre will help you out no problems

martinhutch

If it stays dryish there’s also the option of heading north out to Tan Hill for a swift pint or two then meandering back via Muker. That avoids a repeat of Gunnerside Gill.

The entire loop from Reeth covering Fremington Edge, Great Pinseat, Gunnerside Gill and across to Apedale is about 30 miles or so and just over 4000 ft of climbing. Apedale was a little underwhelming for me after the quality of some of the descents on the north side of the valley, especially given the bastard climb up from Summer Lodge.

The best descents from Harkerside Moor also usually elude me. Having a GPX of some highlights might help.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a lot of tracks on Harkerside Moor and figuring out which one leads where and is either ridable or worth it just takes lots of investigating (i.e. I still don’t know where most of them go!). For example I only found the way to The Pipeline descent by chance as I got to the top of the moor and a group were heading in the direction I knew it lay so I just followed them! Now I’ve done it I know exactly where to turn off the track.

Ask Stu at DBC and he’ll give you some pointers.

Cowman

Yorkshire89, are all those routes anti-clockwise?

Cheers

yorkshire89
    Free Member

The top two are anti-clockwise, and the bottom route is clockwise.
    I have a GPX of all 3 if anyone wants one.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Cheers for all the replies (and in the sister thread in the chat forum).

yorkshire89 – gpx would be good. I’ll email you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any Swaledale locals able to offer some good MTB routes?’ is closed to new replies.