Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • Any older dads?!
  • stox
    Free Member

I’m 37. Not exactly over the hill but on my way up it I’d say.

First child is on its way. Tell me its not so bad!!!

Its Probably best i mention that we have 2 Labradors too 🙂

Will I make it through?

Any other older dads on here?

shifter
    Free Member

It’s not at all bad. I was 43 when mine was born and it’s a doddle really.
    Sometimes people wonder if you’re dad or grandad mind 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Well it’s older than 27 or 17 but it’s not old is it?

franksinatra

Older? I was expecting you to be in your 50’s!

I’m 35 and have three kids, never feel like I am too old.

FWIW, of all of my school mates, I am the only one who has any kids. Not sure what the national average ag is for first time Dads but 37 sounds fine!

You will make it through. Its no big deal, just a complete change of life.

RustySpanner

My dad was 52 when he had me.
    Didn’t seem to bother either of us, tbh.

Hearty congrats btw!

ampthill

Second child mid 30s for me. My eldest got their gcse results today and I’m 47.But you are really not that old. Best mate became a dad at 48. I have worked with 2 dads who have retired while they had kids in primary school.

It’ll be great. All these things have pros and cons but older parents have experience. presumably you have some basics sorted: house, partner job etc?

PS I was terrified of parent hood but I’ve loved it

djglover
    Free Member

37 is not that old, although you could be almost 70 before your kids move out….

kimbers

riding a bike keeps you young, IMHO

37s not that old, was 34 when I had my 1st and had 2nd at 36

freddyg
    Free Member

<waves> I was 38 when our first was born. Second one arrived 17 months later.

They’re fantastic creatures.

A lot has changed and we’re in a state of perma-skint, but wouldn’t change anything.

marcus7
    Free Member

I was 35 with our first and im 42 now, i dont reckon its any harder than if you are in your 20s, having said that i do miss my sleep :-). youll be fine as long as you dont mind a complete change to your life!

mrblobby
    Free Member

40 now, Blobby Jr is 18 months and the next one due Feb.

Reckon I’ve aged more in the first year of Blobby Jr’s life than I did in the previous ten years!

Edit: … oh and yes, congratulations! Despite the hard work and tiredness… it is the best thing ever… well it is once you get past the first 12 months 😉

camo16
    Free Member

Congratulations!

Go with it. You’ll have enough to worry about later…

Like, ‘OMG, he/she’s so small! If I lift him/her will he/she break?’ 😯

For now, chill.

chakaping
    Free Member

Start going to bed early now. You might just survive.

bigG
    Free Member

42 when the first arrived, 45 now and second due in January, fatherhood takes years off you trust me.

nacho
    Free Member

47 here, kids are 5 and 6, it’s great! I had a whale of a time in my younger days when some were having kids, wasn’t a particular choice to have them late, just happened that way. It is demanding as you don’t ahve the same energy as in your 20’s but I think it will help keep me younger and fitter as I want to experience things with them as they grow, riding bikes, kayaking, etc.

Jake25

I am 38 and am trying to cope with being a new father, never thought of myself as being an older Dad though. My wife is 29, just for reference.

Tiny is now 3 weeks old. There is defiantly a lack of sleep going on but I think it is worse for my wife. We are both getting between 4-5 hours at night, sleeping in shifts, but I have to wake her for feeds where as I get to sleep through. I am back at work now after taking the first 2 weeks off as a holiday. My wife is still on Maternity Leave and is trying to nap through the day but it is not easy.

We have a Boxer dog and 2 cats but they just ignore us most of the time. Our Boxer has a sniff at Tiny now and then but that is all, she is a very submissive dog though.

Best advice I can give is to do as much as is possible for your partner, be that house hold chores, cooking, changing nappies or whatever. Buy ready meals, they make life much easier in the short term. Give yourself time and try and be patient as possible. Above all else make sure not to loose touch with each other. Hug when possible and make the most of whatever time you have with each other.

I won’t lie, this will change your life. In the first few weeks though the only thing that matters is the baby, the wife and you in that order. There will be time for everything else later on.

All that said though I still think it is the best thing we have done. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

37 isn’t an old Dad. Whether you’ll “survive” depends on you.

Congratulations it’s the best thing in the world, at times infuriating, exhausting, painful but the good parts more than make up for it

I had my first at 25, she’s getting married in a couple of weeks. There is no formula or norm. It’s all good.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Older? I was expecting you to be in your 50’s!

THIS
    You will be fine , once you get over the shock to the system 😉

stox
    Free Member

Whoa that post erupted quick! 🙂 thanks.
    I suddenly feel a lot younger !
    I know I’m not old OLD but at 37 most of my friends seem to have 7, 8 year olds already so I do feel like an old dad in that respect.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m 37, mine are only 2 and 4.

You deal with it 🙂

woody2000

Tell me its not so bad!!!

Nah, we’ve all had to suffer, why shouldn’t you! 😉

42 here, first one at 38, second at 39 and a bit. Missus is bothering me for number 3……

You’ll be fine (probably), either way it’s coming so GET READY!!

stox
    Free Member

Jake25 – a lot of that rings true.
    For reference my Wife is only 27 so that’s in our favour from a pregnancy point of view.

camo16
    Free Member

I know I’m not old OLD but at 37 most of my friends seem to have 7, 8 year olds already so I do feel like an old dad in that respect.

There are no norms any more, so relax.

And, if your kid’s a lad, don’t call him Norm.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Two of my mates are grandads [ both 20 when they had kids] and my kids are only 8 & 6.

It does not really matter

prawny

I’m 30, my youngest is 3. I feel too old most days. Little bastards.

At the opposite end, My wife is 35, her dad is 83. He’s always been fine. So it’s probably more my kids, than what age you are.

franksinatra

In the first few weeks years though the only thing that matters is the baby, the wife and you in that order.

Fixed it for you.

jools182
    Free Member

you’re not selling this having kids lark

sounds like a bit of a pain in the arse 🙂

stox
    Free Member

prawny – Member
    I’m 30, my youngest is 3. I feel too old most days. Little bastards.

🙂

organic355
    Free Member

First child is on its way. Tell me its not so bad!!!

are you me??

Tiny is now 3 weeks old

Did you call your kid Tiny? Hope he grows up to be a boxer or action movie star. 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

As far as I can make out it’s actually an advantage, although as a stay at home dad of 40, with two pre-school boys I find myself flagging occasionally.. Working Dads don’t have a clue..
    It’ll be a piece of piss really though, just remember to love them and then love them some more

tonyd

I was 38 when the first arrived, 39 when the second arrived! You’re not old but you will feel it 🙂 The only real disadvantage I can see is that you suffer more with lack of sleep when you’re older (well, I seem to). I also sometimes feel a bit gutted when I realise I’ll be approaching my 60s by the time they’re hitting 20s but such is life.

My sister had hers when she was young (first at 17) so I can see arguments for having them young and old, but that’s irrelevant really. Enjoy him/her as much as possible, that’s the main thing.

And congratulations!

scotroutes

Similar age to what I was. I don’t see where any potential problem lies.

hora
    Free Member

My regret is ours isn’t older now as I’m a big kid at heart and would prefer more laughs etc. I’m 39/hes 3. When I’m 50 he’ll think I’m too sad to be jumping on a bouncy-castle etc 🙁

MrsToast
    Free Member

My dad was 34 when my older brother was born, and 38 when I was born. He was the best dad ever.

I’d say the majority of people at our place left having kids until their 30s/40s.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

sounds like a bit of a pain in the arse

You’re doing it wrong

Jake25

Did you call your kid Tiny? Hope he grows up to be a boxer or action movie star.

We didn’t call him Tiny but it was a nickname till he arrived and we decided on a name. 😀

instanthit
    Free Member

I am 50 (wife is quite a bit younger) with a 7 and 5 year old. Think i have more patience and am a better dad than i would have been in my twenties.
    Means i get to go to theme parks, make sandcastles, and be a child currently both learning to body board so having to join them at that too.
    The only downside is they come to the LBS with me and always remind me “daddy no more bikes”.
    Congratulations. Enjoy.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m 40 and my wife 38…

We have two daughters, aged 2 and 6.
    I reckon we’re somewhere in the middle in the parents age range in the eldest ones school class.
    Plenty of Dads well into their 40’s…

ransos
    Free Member

People have kids later these days. I’m 35, with a two year old and another on the way. I’m probably one of the younger dads at the nursery.

Anyway, we’re poor, tired but mostly very, very happy. You’ll have a blast.

tinsy
    Free Member

44 when I had my boy, 47 now obviously he is 3, its flipping great. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Any older dads?!’ is closed to new replies.