• This topic has 25 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Del.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Any LOOK Quartz / Time ATAC XS clipless pedal users on here – reviews?
  • bennyboy1
    Free Member

Following 16 years of successfully using other makes of clipless pedal I thought I’d give Shimano the benfit of the doubt and got some new XTR spds for xmas (my previous clipless pedals are nearly worn out now). However, after 5 rides using my new M980 XTR clipless pedals and having spent considerable time setting up the cleat position my right knee has stopped functioning and I’m hobling round like a drunk peg-leg sailor… needless to say they’ll be going on the classifieds v soon… they’ve properly fubbered my right knee…

As such I’m in the market to replace my XTR’s and following a bit of research have got it honed down to 2 choices:

1) LOOK Quartz pedals (as in last week’s STW Friday Goods)
    2) Time ATAC XS pedals

Both look a good bet, have got 15+ degrees of float which seems like my knees will probably need, the LOOK ones in particular are considerably lighter weight than my XTR’s. Keen to hear about bearing life, function etc.

Any reviews / thoughts / further recommendations?

Cheers.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i have used time atacs for 10 years+. They bearings are durable – but i have no idea how to service or replace them. The biggest plus for me is not so much the angular float, but the side to side movement. The two combined allows my feet to move to a comfy position, which is important as my feet appear to want to be at a different angle at the top of the pedal stroke to the bottom, or different when seated or stood, or on MTB or cross bike!

I have no experience of the Looks, but they look like a time copy 🙂

tony24
    Free Member

been using Time pedals for 7 month’s now and i wont choose anything else. they still run like new. there easy to set up, easy to clip in and out of even when caked in mud and can on be found for good prices.

A friend of mine has the Look pedals he likes them but had to have afew rides of difficult clipping in and out while he found the right spaciing on the cleat as the look pedals use shims.

My dad also uses time pedals and swears by them also.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve also been using the Time ATAC pedals in all their guises for over 15 odd years. They do take some getting used to if you have been using the Shimano style SPDs because the pedal allows your foot to squirm about a lot more which can feel a little unsettling. They last ages (I still use one of the pairs on my commuter which are ten years old) and the only down side is the fact you need to replace the soft brass cleats more often than with SPDs. Needless to say their mud shedding capabilities are legendary.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I haven’t had your issues, but went from shimano to Time 5 years ago. Mainly for the definite ‘clunk’ you get when they clip in properly. the shimano pedals, I found difficult to clip in and then often was not sure were cliped properly, especially in the mud .

kiwijohn

My Z controls are on there third bike in 8 years. Cleats tend to last as long as Shimano shoes.

foxyrider
    Free Member

2 sets of time pedals and one old set from a mate (which I need to give back) – 5 & 3 years IIRC and the 5 year old are a bit worn but bearings are spot on 🙂

khani
    Free Member

7yrs on time pedals here with no problems/failures, they seem bombproof

mrmo
    Free Member

i think my first set of Times, which get a little use now, are c15years old. i have replaced the bearings and the springs in that time.

mogrim

Another vote for Times, mine have been running without complaint for 8 years or so.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Hmmm, looking like Time ATAC’s are getting an overwhelming good review on here then! Looks like they’ll be the ones I go for, one further question though, do you get 1 set of cleats with them or do you have to purchase them seperately?

Cheers.

Frankers
    Free Member

Yes you get 1 set of cleats, and go for Atac XS! I have also purchased ROC type recently and much prefer the XS’s

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Another Time ATAC user here for over 10 years (oldest pair still working…just), got 3 pairs. Will never use anything else. from people i’ve spoken too, once you’ve tried Times you never go back to anyhing else. You can get the Alium ones for £40 I think if you fancy a try.

Only one downside is that the cleats wear quickly (last around a year or 2) but that’s acceptible for me.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Frankers, what’s the difference between the XS and ROC? can’t see any differences myself by looking online.

timdrayton
    Free Member

well i love the look quartz have them on all me bikes.

best pedals i have ever used (used time, xpedo, xt, xtr)

cheapest option second hand, and i might just have a set coming up that i am not going to be using if you are interested? v good nick, boxed and with unused cleats…

timdrayton@live.co.uk

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Frankers – cheers for that. Yep, I was looking at the ATAC XS Carbon’s, there’s some great deals for them, around £95 which seems pretty decent.

Cheers.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Another long time Time user here. Yes, you do get one set of cleats with the pedals.

Personally, I prefer the Roc-Atacs to the XS. Wider, with a larger pedal/shoe contact point making them noticeably more stable. Also, the springs are original ATAC style and last much longer then the cast ones on the XS. They are also ‘independent’ on either side – if you bash the XS on a rock you can cause the springs to disengage.

The disadvantage is that the ROCs are 50g heavier (but they’re also about £40 cheaper so you could probably save the weight elsewhere). I’ve never been able to seen any benefit in anything above the cheapest model in each line – there’s no benefit in adjustable spring tension (ATAC were originally meant to be self adjusting anyway) the chromo axle isn’t noticeably stiffer and they don’t break. The carbon body seems to add no benefit other than being black (if you bash them on a rock you’ll still take a chunk out of them. The Ti model are super expensive.

Frankers
    Free Member

PaulGillespie – Member

Frankers, what’s the difference between the XS and ROC? can’t see any differences myself by looking online.

Atac XS have a square section retention bar whereas the ROC type have a round wire type.

I find there is a difference between the 2 when clipping in and also whilst clipped in.

XS Type allow more foot swivel/movement

z1ppy

+1 for Times, ace pedals, I’ve had 3 sets. 2 x Z controls (I pair had died but after 5-7 years use) and one ROC style (plastic though not composite) – there dead easy to service, and the bearing are penny’s from a local Bearing supplier.
    I won’t be buying anything else.

(EDIT: The 2 posts above weren’t there when I initally posted)
    Differences between XS and ROC? Looking at the Time website, just the pedal shape? (both Composite/steel axle/ATAC clips as far as I can see…)

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

I’m sort of in the same position as the OP. Tried using SPDs and despite faffing with the cleat position for ages they wrecked my knees and they stopped working after the first climb.

My LBS (Summit Cycles in Aberystwyth, one of the best LBS full stop!) suggested looking into Time pedals, and they all swear by them. Plus you can get quite large platforms for a lot less money than SPDs and Crank bros.

Frankers
    Free Member

Personally, I prefer the Roc-Atacs to the XS. Wider, with a larger pedal/shoe contact point making them noticeably more stable. Also, the springs are original ATAC style and last much longer then the cast ones on the XS. They are also ‘independent’ on either side – if you bash the XS on a rock you can cause the springs to disengage.

I agree with most of this but prefer the less contact area of the XS giving a more flexible feel, XS bars do wear quicker but i like this as they feel better after years of use. Independant springs is correct too but not big issue…..

No benefit of Carbon body i’d go for XS only… or ROC Atac if you prefer more “clipped” in solid feel

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I agree with most of this but prefer the less contact area of the XS giving a more flexible feel, XS bars do wear quicker but i like this as they feel better after years of use. Independant springs is correct too but not big issue…..

🙂 YMMV. I *may* (may also have binned them) still have a few sets of part used XS’s in a box somewhere if anyone wants them – I disliked the instability and switched to ROCs. email me if you’d like them for spares.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

My oldest round bar ones and now worn square anyway!

Andy

15 year user of Time Atacs here. Love ’em. Knee problems with Shimoano SPDs prompted switch. Use Aliums, XS ad a couple of pairs of Titans. Only thing slightly annoying is the bushes on XS versions seem to wear quite quickly.

Oh and simons_nicolai-uk ygm!

roger_mellie

Another vote for Time Atac XS here. As well as the reasons already mentioned, I like the ability to be able to adjust how much force/pressure you have to use to release (‘Sensor’ feature). Or as Time put it “an adjustment of sensation that allows the rider to customise the elasticity within the area of angular float.” Quite.
    Page 5 of the Time brochure – beware its about 30MB Link

Del

happy with times on 4 bikes here too, though not for the lengths of time as some of the other posters!
    i switched from eggbeaters, having got hacked off with onerous service intervals and pedals that break, then try to stab me in the leg.
    times are ace.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Any LOOK Quartz / Time ATAC XS clipless pedal users on here – reviews?’ is closed to new replies.