Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any builders / electricians / plumbers in da house?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Just seen a house that may suit our expanding family, but it needs some work.

To help in the “grown up” conversation with my wife this evening are their builder, plumbers and electricians in the house that could give me a rough ball park idea of the followings costs?

Central heating with combi boiler and 13 radiators
    Removal of 4 gas fires and numerous storage heaters (can the stortage heaters just be taken off?)
    Closing up a doorway in a supporting wall.
    New doorway in a supporting wall (per door)
    New consumer unit
    Rewiring per room (4 double sockets in each)
    TV / phone socket relocation
    Network cabling/sockets to 4 rooms

I await the wisdom of the hive mind.

Ta.

Harry the (mortgaged up to his eyeballs) Spider

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Boiler £1000ish for a good one including a standard flue and the other shizel. no labour.

Radiators, plumb center catalogue is your friend,

Concrete floors downstairs? outside wall for combi?

saladdodger
    Free Member

rough guide rewire costs about £45 per sq meter of floor area

Harry_the_Spider

Paul, boiler in garage, floors… dunno (forgot to ask 🙄 ) this place is 150+ years old though.

sharki
    Free Member

storage heaters can be taken off, but if it's the old type, it's easier to pop the screws out and take the fire brick out to lighten them..

Doorways would be about a days work in total to block up and make good.
    Same for a new opening and another hr for a new door to be hung.

Day rate would be anything from £100-£170, materials to make good either would amount to approx £50-£70 not inc a door with would vary depending on style.

Allow for a skip if lots of work being undertaken, which is i think around £150

And as it's an old house alot of material may coem out of new openings.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Get some quotes then, rough guess without seeing it, £2500 for gear, maybe £4000 done?

Depends on size and types of rads. I'd fit a Magnaclean, hydroflow if it's a hardwater area.

Give British Gas a ring, we get slated on here, we're not cheap but we're really very, very good!

saladdodger
    Free Member

paulosoxo – Member

Give British Gas a ring, we get slated on here, we're not cheap but we're really very, very good!

Bet that will boost your Qudos points ( £ in the pocket)

Yes I am a ex British Gas empolyee and I think that the way that you are expected to SELL is complely unethical I walked out of a team meeting because of the sales patter I was told to use by the "sales champion" and told them to insert the job where the sun does not shine shortly after

Get a good local Gas engineer to give you a quote

paulosoxo
    Free Member

How come, will Harry the spider hand my pay number over for me?

Nothing unethical about the way I or ANY of my engineers work thankyou!

As an aside, are you still in the industry?

saladdodger
    Free Member

yep still an electrician ta

paulosoxo
    Free Member

The way you were talking I thought you were gas 😕

roundwheels
    Free Member

don't go to british gas they are a bout £2000 more expensive than local gas fitter and not any better

for electrical quote its about £30 per point ie 1 socket =£30, 1sw+ 1 light = £60,so a room with 4 d/sockets +1 sw +1 light =£180
    data stuff is similar although the plates can be expensive check screw fix or the rs catalogue for ideas

saladdodger
    Free Member

Na did a stint as a electrician with them on "home care"

FallOutBoy
    Free Member

Just had similar work done on my house – large 3 bed semi – by my uncle (who is Corgi and PartP registered) Gas/central heating work came to 3K. Rewiring + all electric was 4K. Knocking out supporting wall and installing RSJ was 1.5K.

did all the networking/phonelines and cut chases for wiring in the wall myself.

Just so you know – rewiring is a bl00dy awful job. Don't want to be living in the house while its done. Cutting chases into the walls gets dust everywhere and on/in everything

miketually
    Free Member

Your house seems nearly as bad as mine. Do you have a potentially unsupported chimney stack and rising damp too? 🙂

Figures for the electrical stuff will be useful for us too, ta.

gazman
    Free Member

hiya mate i`m a builder and am in mcr too (thats handy) can get others as well give us a call 07598 263647 gazman.

roundwheels
    Free Member

Just had similar work done on my house – large 3 bed semi – by my uncle (who is Corgi and PartP registered) Gas/central heating work came to 3K. Rewiring + all electric was 4K.

FallOutBoy and you still call him uncle lol you were shafted mate £7000.did you know that he has made about £5500 out of you not bad for about a 1 1/2 weeks work 😆

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any builders / electricians / plumbers in da house?’ is closed to new replies.