Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Any better steel LT HT than an DB Alpine
  • swisstony
    Free Member

Sorry for the initials and if this has done before but i'm after a new frame to replace my Stiffee and i think i'm there but just having a final check.

It needs to be steel, needs to be at least Pike capable and needs to be good value, anything better than the Alpine?

ta

swisstony
    Free Member

oh and i've had a 456!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

http://www.demonframeworks.com will build you something special if you ask nicely 🙂

richc
    Free Member

Blue Pig and a PA would be worth a look as well. The Alpine is designed to be ridden in the Alps, so if you are just doing XC over here with some jumps and drops the PA might be a better bet.

scruff
    Free Member

Newer not much changed Alpines on the way soon. Mine sometimes feels a bit flexy at the back on offcamber stuff but I spose it gives it some comfort. Apart from that geometry is spot on for both long days out or wanging it around woodland.

(anyone wants to swap their grey 17/23 for my 17/22 ?)

Scruff, it's metallic black, not grey!

New frames are now on the ship and heading this way. Still taking pre-orders until the end of this month (saving of £50).

Mackem

I like my Orange p7, is it better? Dunno, worth a try though.

richc
    Free Member

A friends P7 with similar bits its definately heavier than my Alpine (Pike's,RF Atlas,Bulbs etc)

swisstony
    Free Member

ta all, i think i'm going to need a bit more then the PA,

Mike, are there any test bikes near Sheffield?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I really like my 456 Summer Edition. Never ridden a Dialled or P7 though.
    And recently, about a month ago, I fell in love with my Marin HT. Old, cheap, built on a very small budget, rides great, esp. as a singlespeed with DH mud tyres.

willyboy
    Free Member

swiss tony – i've just sent you an email

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

the p7 is more cross country orientated?…

swisstony, no demo bikes in shops near Sheffield as despite Sheffield being where I'm from originally and a lot of my 4X team living there, no shops have ever contacted me about becoming dealers. Should be a fair few Alpine owners in that area though. Maybe someone will see this thread and offer you a go on theirs.

One thing to note is the new Alpines are sized differently to the previous batch. New sizes are 16" w/22.25" top tube and 18" w/23.25" TT.

duffmiver
    Free Member

how about a .243 fr?

scruff
    Free Member

Cereal, mine is sparkley grey.

Jamie
    Free Member

mike-at-dialledbikes:

New frames are now on the ship and heading this way.

Any PAs on that boat Mike? As still thinking of getting one now my riding is less 'gnarlcore'.

*heads off to do another 40m XC ride on his alpine :mrgreen: *

soobalias
    Free Member

define LT.
    do you want it to be better than the alpine, or just better value?

whats your opinion of good value? simply low cost or something else.
    as mike says above, the alpine is even cheaper if you make your mind up pronto.

130mm+ steel hardtails have been covered to death on here, the orange transam looked nice (US only iirc) Chromag do some nice stuff. More than one Evil Sov fan on here too.

No Jamie, afraid not. Next batch of Prince Albert frames won't be for a while (hopefully Q1 or Q2 2010) – need to shift some BMX frames, Love/Hates and Alpines to fund them.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I've got an Alpine in Leeds. Think it's a 15.5/22, it's purple. You are welcome to try it (Fox 36 Talas, big tyres type of build).

timsellors@googlemail[dot]com

You would have to do the running around, fetching etc as I am notoriously unreliable at making rides and have umpteen other things to do. But a borrow is fine 😎

Rickos
    Free Member

Hmmmm, Evil Sov and Transition TransAm. Nice.

soobalias
    Free Member

did you not yet find a way to own the TransAm?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Cotic Bfe?

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

I love my Blue Pig…
    piggy

And am sure the Alpine is wicked as well.. just Mike didn't have any when I was in need 🙁

swisstony
    Free Member

LT is 140mm plus, i've got pikes to go on but i've also got lyrics on another bike which may find their way onto the new frame.

As for good value, i think up to £350 is plenty to spend on/charge for a HT so that definately rules out the Evil Sov which i think you must be bonkers to pay full price for and puts the Bfe on the outskirts (sorry Cy)

I hadn't seen the Trans Am but they look very nice indeed, just need to find the price.

richc
    Free Member

They sell direct, so its $716.94 including shipping and duty

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks flow, i hadn't looked at those, i'll read your review but i'll need convincing why to spend twice the price of a 456 on one of those?

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

because two times not very much isn't very much either…?

forge197
    Free Member

I've got an Alpine it is a great bike to own, does all day rides, does technical rides, is nice a for a short blast and above all else is a heap of fun to ride.

swisstony
    Free Member

The Trans Am may have jostled it's way to Number 1! they do look very nice mmmmmmm

househusband

because two times not very much isn't very much either…?

Class! Nice one – great logic at work there.

forge197
    Free Member

swisstony – it might look better but does it ride better you can't see it once your on it and moving 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

did you discount the curtis freeride?
    http://www.curtisbikes.co.uk/freeride.html

soobalias
    Free Member

bump

leggyblonde
    Free Member

71 Head Angle with a 150 fork on that curtis! 😯

Must feel fun with a bit of sag dialled in….

Who's distributing Transition in the UK these days?

richc
    Free Member

Nobody, I think they have given up with UK importers and sell direct.

soobalias
    Free Member

dont think anyone is.

be quite surprised if there is a transam over this side of the pond, despite the interest it generates.

[edited following a quick google]

Vortexracing

Alpine is my opinion, not that i'm biased you understand.

good VFM, well built, not too heavy, and ride/handle very well.

and they now come in Kwaker green

In fact mines on the back of the car ready for a play at Farleton Knott tonight.

lock
    Free Member

check out dirt mag videos,they av one of the trans am being ridden

GlennG
    Free Member

Curtis Freeride, mine rides great with a pike set at 140mm

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Any better steel LT HT than an DB Alpine’ is closed to new replies.