Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anthem X 29er build; this will take a few days….
  • Bream
    Free Member

Finally my build is underway, won’t bore you with the details but due to sourcing wheel issues this build is about 2 months late and I’m at almost bursting point.

Anyway, between work, my teething baby, the garden/house, wife etc, I finally made a start last night. Wheels due to arrive this week so no real rush until they turn up. I’ll update it daily until finished 8)

Last night I messed about with all the parts, fitted the press fit Shimano BB mated to the FSA carbon crankset, and Giant headset.

clubber
    Free Member

Nice, how much did you get the frame for? (Looking at this too…). Don’t suppose you recall what the warranty is, do you?

thepurist

Shiny! But you could’ve sorted that wiggly wire out in the 2 months you’ve been waiting.

Bream
    Free Member

Bought the frame from the US as a frame/fork deal for $2099, right faff because Giant won’t let the shop ship any frame/bike, not even within the US, pickup only. Luckily my dad lives in the US so he could go to a Giant dealer, sign some paperwork, then the shop could ship to me overseas.

Before anyone asks, I’m sorry to say but I can’t help anyone else source one via my route, too much hassle for my dad etc.

Warranty is the standard Giant warranty, only if I wanted to claim I’d first have to post it to the shop I bought it from. Hopefully this won’t ever be necessary.

Will straighten the wiggly wire out also 😉 😆

IA

Now that’s a proper man-sized bike, very interested. Bit crap that you can’t easily buy them in this country though. I’d want to try one first.

Bream
    Free Member

I also would have preferred to try one first, but where I live there is almost no possibility to try any 29er. I’ve taken the punt with the Anthem as I loved my old Advanced for the last 4 years, and this should just be a bigger version of it, which in my mind can only be a good thing. But if it’s not then I’ll hold my hands up, should know by the weekend either way.

Bream
    Free Member

Going to fit these beauts tonight:

rootes1

what’s more annoying is that there are no XL being imported to UK and unlike in say canada there is only one 20er in the range whereas in other markets they are 29er anthems at different price points.

this looks nice:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/anthem.x.29er.3/8085/46579/

going to try a salsa spearfish first and see..

Bream
    Free Member

I was all set to buy a Spearfish if I couldn’t have sorted the Giant out, they look a great frame for the money. Even had a free shipping offer come through from 918XC in the US, plus Salsa confirmed to me they warranty would be OK.

Marge
    Free Member

I read something about a recall on the Anthem 29er.
    Do you know anything more?
    I so want one of these too but the recall thing makes me a bit nervous.

Bream
    Free Member

Yep, there was a recall on an early batch, covered here, just check the frame numbers, but all proper Giant dealers won’t have any of the old stock now.

Ok, did a bit more last night, pre-cut of steerer tube, running all the spacers at the begining so I can adjust after the first few rides.

Steering on, with my Hope hulk brakes, X0 twisters and rear mech, XTR front mech. I’ll start a list:

Giant Anthem X 29er frame (L) with Fox Float RP23 Boostvalve
    Fox F29 FIT RLC forks, 15QR thru axle and tapered steerer, 100mm travel
    Giant FSA tapered headset
    Shimano BB71 Press-Fit Bottom Bracket
    FSA K-Force Light XC Chainset MegaExo
    XTR pedals
    Thomson masterpiece seatpost
    Ritchey WCS Carbon Flat Bar
    Ritchey WCS 4Axis Matrix Stem
    Hope mono mini pro’s in Team Issue Green, Ti bolted
    X0 Twist grip changers
    X0 Rear mech with KCNC jockey wheels

Marge
    Free Member

That’s soooo nice.
    Looks like I will have to try & organise a business trip to the US this summer…

Anyone know a European location selling just the framesets?

Bream
    Free Member

I was told that frames won’t be heading outside of the US until the Autumn!

sarkmeister
    Free Member

Looks lovely.

Do you mind me asking how you fitted the press fit BB?

Did you buy the recommended tool?

I have one to fit to a Lapierre Spicy and can’t decide whether to have a go myself, or take it somewhere

Bream
    Free Member

It was a lot easier than I had imagined to fit the BB, I used a tool I made a couple of years ago to fit headsets. Basically a threaded bar with 2 turned plastic thick washers & 2 nuts. Pulled in very easily, needed very little force, if I hadn’t of had a tool I would have been happy to gently tap in into place with a plastic mallet.

That said, if your BB ID demension is smaller it could need a little more force. Either way it is dead easy so you should be ok yourself.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Damn you Bream …..NOW I WANT ONE ….. 👿

db

Hold on – you are projecting STW against the wall!?

Bream
    Free Member

Yep, I’m lucky enough to have a brick insulated & heated bike workshop, big enough to store my bikes, and have a service and desk area. I run a dedicated PC with my Tacx Fortius trainer through a split screen/projector setup. Makes riding in the mountains RLV or training with the Schleck brother much more involved 8)

Also doubles as my cinema 😯

Bream
    Free Member

Hurrah, the wheels arrived.

Got to say I am extremely impressed so far, they are really really light, ~1400kg for the pair. The new American Classic hubs, DT comp spokes, alloy nipples and Stans Crest rims.

Going UST for the first time as well, fitted the Racing Ralphs 2.25s front and back. Pumped them up all fine but both seem to leak so will need to put some sealant in tonight.

Went on to fit an XTR gear cable set and then had to leave it for the night. Should be all finished tonight, so will give it a test ride tomorrow, really really looking forward to riding it.

A pair of 160mm Ashima rotors fitted, along with a new SRAM PG990 cassette.

Nearly there now 😀

Bream
    Free Member

Updated spec list:

XTR SIS gear cable set
    XTR pedals
    X0 Twist grip changers
    KMC SL chain
    160mm Ashima rotors, Ti bolted
    PG990 cassette
    American Classic hubs (15mm front, QR rear)
    DT Super Comp spokes
    Stans Crest rims
    Alloy spokes
    Racing Ralphs 2.25s UST front and back

rOcKeTdOg

nope, as much as i try to like how maestro suspension bikes look i can’t do it, i’m sure it’ll ride fantastically but it looks butt ugly to me

transapp
    Free Member

Agreed – they do look ugly. And that includes my Anthem X1!
    The ride makes up for it though – stunning.
    I’d love a go on the 29er should be a magic carpet ride – looks like a great build. top work!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

That looks like its going to be really nice!

I’d have gone for a matching Ritchey seatpost so everything looked the same, but that’s just my obsessiveness.

Is this for XC racing purposes?

Bream
    Free Member

It will be raced, just this year I’m not racing as much due to new baby etc. But I’ll do a couple of marathons after the summer vacation, when I’ve had chance to train more 😆

Probably will do at a minimum:
    21/8 Snapphaneturen Hässleholms CK
    3/9 Bockstensturen Varbergs MTB

And my local XC race:
    17/9 Åstorps MTB

I did have the Ritchey post before, but had to sell/swap because they don’t do a long 30.9 version.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

? you based in Swedenland ?

See you at Bockstensturen then! Might need to take it for a quick test spin 😀

Bream
    Free Member

Yep, I live in Ängelholm, Skånelandshire 8)

You’re welcome for a spin at Bockstensturen.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Cool, I’ll keep a look out for it/you.

takisawa2

Ugly!!!
    I think its gorgeous.
    Looking forward to hearing how it rides…

Bream
    Free Member

99.9% finished now, had the first ride out yesterday and it simply blew me away. This is not only my first 29er, but the 1st time I’ve ever ridden one, took a gamble to buy without trying and it’s totally paid off.

It feels just so natural, up to speed quick and just rolls faster & better. I did a lap of my local training loop and I’m sure it’s the fastest I’ve ever been round there. Not only that it also feels more efficent, not just the FS thing, but in your legs.

This without a doubt it the best XC MTB I have ever owned or ridden, simple as.

Final spec (waiting a new Arione seat and Ti bottle cage this week for the last 0.1%):
    Updated spec list:

XTR SIS gear cable set
    XTR pedals
    X0 Twist grip changers
    XTR front mech
    KMC SL chain
    160mm Ashima rotors, Ti bolted
    PG990 cassette
    American Classic hubs (15mm front, QR rear)
    DT Super Comp spokes
    Stans Crest rims
    Alloy spokes
    Racing Ralphs 2.25s UST front and back
    Fizik Arione saddle

Weighs in at 9.86kgs, and that’s with my Garmin 705 fitted, will weigh it again without just so I know.
    Front wheel complete is 1.2kgs (Inlc disc & bolts, plus UST Racing Ralph)
    Rear wheel complete is 1.6kgs (inlc disc, bolts, cassette, QR skewer & UST Racing Ralph)

clubber
    Free Member

You really need to sort out that moss…

It’s certainly not a beauty but I’d love to try one.

andyl
    Free Member

<10kg for a FS 29er! Wow.

The frame looked huge before the wheels went on. Makes the shock look tiny.

andyl
    Free Member

<10kg for a FS 29er! Wow.

The frame looked huge before the wheels went on. Makes the shock look tiny.

will
    Free Member

Stunning!

i want one so badly, but I think i’m going to settle for the XTc 29er as I can’t justify the cost 😆

rOcKeTdOg

Bars look very narrow

Bream
    Free Member

Pretty much straight & 610mm, been riding this setup for over 4 years now for XC. DH setup I use 750mm Bergtecs and love them, just doesn’t feel right to me running wide riser bars for light XC. Must admit, I am tempted to try a slightly different bar, quite tempted to try the Mount Zoom bars that njee runs, they look a really nice size/shape.

Bream
    Free Member

Finally finished (for now anyway) and I am extremely happy with the result and ride, can’t recommend it enough, I think the biggest helper is the wheel build, super light yet stiff/strong, makes a huge difference. I compared them to my make who just bought a Trek FS 29er (new superfly) and my bike was nearly 2kgs lighter! Just the wheel setup alone were ~1.5kg lighter!!!!!!

Final weight was 9.76kgs.

Now for the pretty pics 😀

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anthem X 29er build; this will take a few days….’ is closed to new replies.