Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Another touring Question (Sorry)
  • alfabus
    Free Member

Right, I can’t take it any more. I’m going to have to go touring next week.

Bastards.

mugsys_m8

[img]http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6097/6210561880_3ed3fb15df.jpg[/img]

We did a 1 week tour from Perros Guirec to Aberwrach along the N coast of Brittany. We=Mrs Mugsy, Mini Mugsy (3 1/2yo),Micro Mugsy (1y2months) and myself.

Due to our stunning planning and suspected slyness from the side of Mrs Mugsy, she could not carry panniers as we could not get a front rack in time and she could not carry rear panniers due to the childseat. Sooooo that left me with rear panniers and termarests on the bike and towing the cougar chariot with (not so) mini mugsy, a 35l dry bag, the tent, bucket and spade.

This was camping. I leapfrogged the car ever 3 days or so, so we could do an A to B rather than a loop.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    Teetosugars
    Free Member

Teej,

Are they Carradice Panniers??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes. Slightly fiddly to get on and off the bike but really secure- the rears are huge – loads bigger than ortleib. totally waterproof and the straps to strap stuff on top was really handy

boblo
    Free Member

Tandems on trains are a royal PIA. Yes they may be carried on ‘some’ trains but what a pullava….

The HST’s seem to be OK (so long as they have a Guards wagon which is built in – I think), anything else… you takes your chance. I suspect it’s similar for trailers.

I’ve used East Coast quite a bit with the tandem but the little pushmepullyou regional things are subject to argument with ‘balding/fat/officious/not getting any’ railway person(s).

We had the same problem with SNCF. Booked on, confirmed OK and then refused travel by French version of the above railway person. We had to hire an estate car from Monpellier to Calais to get back that time.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’ve just arrived back in Britain after my aborted Spanish-Morocco tour due to knee problems. I used 4 Carradice Super C panniers, which was plenty of space, even with a couple of books and warm winter clothes, spare shoes and a wetsuit.

As for racks, look at Old Man Mountain for rack mount less rackage, available from Carradice in the UK. They are solid and very awesome.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

3 days off next week starting Sunday so me and a mate are heading off into the Dales, one night at the Bike Centre and another some place else, depends on the route. looking to do about 60 odd miles a day

We’ll just have bar bags and seat packs with a slight change of clothes but no change of shoes so i’ll be wandering down to the bar/dining room in my stocking feet? i cannot wait! 😀 Friend will be on his new Steel lightweight and i’ll be riding fixed 😯

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Another touring Question (Sorry)’ is closed to new replies.