Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Another election on the cards if May loses majority..
  • Poopscoop

…Over claims a significant amount of Tory MP’s might have been sexually inappropriate and potentially ending her majority in parliament?

Poopscoop

Ah yes, sorry.

You might have a point!

That said this is a new and very specific threat to the government. Hence I thought it might warrant a different thread?

taxi25
    Free Member

If you want an answer. No there won’t be an election based on this issue.

Poopscoop

taxi25 – Member
    If you want an answer. No there won’t be an election based on this issue.

Genuine question.

Why couldn’t it end in another election if cabinet ministers/ MP’s resign/ are sacked?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You need a vote of no confidence to do that if your not the government, indirectly by-elections could cause big problems if the government truly has no majority.
    There could be a point where the number of byelections required push that it’s better to fight a national election rather than individual ones.

taxi25
    Free Member

Why couldn’t it end in another election if cabinet ministers/ MP’s resign/ are sacked?

Do you honestly believe this government, or any government would sack or allow enough MP’s to resign resulting in an election having to be held. Certainty not during one of the most crucial periods in modern British history (brexit).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you honestly believe this government, or any government would sack or allow enough MP’s to resign resulting in an election having to be held.

Depends on the nature of the accusation, if police are involved and the public feeling. It would potentially be a get out for May to blame the party and then call an election – not sure she could face one though.

There are enough permutations that May doesn’t control that could lead to it. Some serious conversations must being going on at the moment in all parties and lists being drawn up.

kerley
    Free Member

Do you honestly believe this government, or any government would sack or allow enough MP’s to resign resulting in an election having to be held.

They may not have a choice. However it all depends on 2 things;
    – who the offenders are, i.e. if my MP was sacked and there was a
    by-election another tory MP would get elected (65% tory majority
    seat).
    – there could be just as many labour offenders as conservative so
    they will have same problem although the conservative offenders are
    probably more perverted

garage-dweller

Ask yourself this question

“Does the conservative party believe it will be in a better or worse position afterwards?”

If you know or can guess the answer to that you know the answer to whether there will be an election. 😉

Edit… In the interests of neutrality I have no doubt that if Labour were in power the same decision process would apply with substitution of the party name.

bikebouy
    Free Member

May bought her majority off those that supported terrorism.

binners

As MP’s showed during the expenses scandal they’re all very principled people, and would instantly resign the second their behaviour and strong moral character was called into question. And if they didn’t resign their parliamentary party would quickly sack them for fear of the damage to their impeccably maintained reputations for honesty and probity

Oh…… hang on a minute….

bikebouy
    Free Member

Exactly

CallmeDumbass proved that even porking pork doesn’t get you sacked.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unfortunately (for them) some of these allegations (could be) are a police matter so the implications are far greater

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think with everything that’s happened in Western Politics in the last few years, can we really be certain about anything?

We live in interesting times.

binners

You do get a distinct impression, with their somewhat unusual speed in being seen to be doing something about it, that there are some pretty serious beans about to be spilt. You can visably see the ranks closing, hatches being battened down, and any number of other applicable cliches

As with the expenses scandal, I doubt it’ll divide along party lines. It’ll be six of one and half a dozen of the other

Poopscoop

As a Labour voter I wouldn’t be adverse to another vote…

That said I think the county really, really isn’t in the mood for another election.

We really do need a strong government at the moment yet a concerted effort to give us that resulted in the opposite.

Now this, What a mess.

tjagain

this won’t cause another election unless ten more tories than opposition mps get reported to the police and disbarred. all the tory party will do at most is remove the party whip.

mattyfez

That said I think the county really, really isn’t in the mood for another election

It wouldn’t hurt to have another election, every one knows May is knackered and she’s only in office because of the shit storm.

She can’t sack anyone as she’ll lose the Conservatives majority and all that ramifications that entails for towing the party line.

It’s completely absurd. She’s got no authority and everyone knows she’s just a place holder.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Opposition parties will be mightily relieved that this is solely a Tory party issue.

pondo

Opposition parties will be mightily relieved that this is solely a Tory party issue.

You should have a look at the news sometime.

kimbers

I think that was sarcasm…..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😉

Who needs the 3 jokers when we can have Lady Nugget leading us into Brexshit Nirvana. Strap in tight…..

kimbers

May’s face in the house as this was being discussed yesterday was one of utter dejection.

that list of Tory wrong-doers, knowing that she can do nothing to them because

a) she has no power within her own party
    B) has a tiny majority
    C) some of those named like Fox Johnson, Fallon are senior government ministers, tho Raab surely is toast?

tjagain

she cannot dismiss them as MPS and force a byelection. Not within her power. the only thing she can do is withdraw the whip / demote to the back benches

pondo

I think that was sarcasm…..

Yes, yes it was. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

for reference

Details of the Act[edit]
    Section 1 sets out the processes by which the Speaker of the House of Commons would trigger the recall process, namely a custodial prison sentence, suspension from the House ordered by the Committee on Standards, or providing false or misleading expenses claims. Sections 7-11 outline the procedure whereby the petition is forwarded by the electoral returning officer for the constituency to the MP’s constituents for ratification, a 10% approval triggering the loss of the MP’s seat and a by-election, with Section 15 confirming the MPs seat becomes vacant if the petition is successful, notwithstanding the vacating on the seat by resignation or death.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/25/pdfs/ukpga_20150025_en.pdf
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_of_MPs_Act_2015
    It is not just up to the PM to dismiss or remove. If there are some unpalatable tales coming out in a close seat then I can see a petition coming along very quickly and pressure to have them at least up in front of the Standards Committee.

Along with the expenses scandal this will be across them all and there are now the mechanisms to do something about it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and on that list before the banning order hits STW Liam Fox – shortest but fully redacted one word problem? Thats got me intrigued.

jam-bo

and on that list before the banning order hits STW Liam Fox – shortest but fully redacted one word problem? Thats got me intrigued.

Edit: See. STW knows…

kimbers

its adam werit- allegedly, which is hardly news, but obviously tory MPs that compiled the list are in no doubt

amusingly damien green someone has censored out ashley madison, i guess thinking its someones name http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11818088/Ashley-Madison-Former-Tory-minister-Damian-Green-denies-involvement-in-adultery-website.html

also kwazi kwerting down as getting jiggy with Rudd & Truss, not sure why his name should be hidden & theirs not! rudd/kwartang known to be in a relationship for years http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/14/who-is-amber-rudd-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-home-secretary-6005664/

mefty
    Free Member
    kimbers

heres Mays face as they were discussing this yesterday

that very few male MPs bothered to attend (guilt?)

shermer75
    Free Member

Does she have a majority to lose?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It is bringing back fond memories of the 90’s
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_Basics_(campaign)

Poopscoop

^^ Well remembered!

frankconway

I’m no fan of Theresa May but, F me, she has inherited so much crap – so much more than she could ever have imagined.
    I have some sympathy for her in dealing with lying, duplicitous, dissembling MPs with no moral standards; the same applies to politicians of all other parties.

How close will the tide of sewage come to her?
    If it removes any/all of Johnson, Gove, Davis, Raab I will be relaxed.
    As for females who may have been involved with (I was going too say ‘impregnated by’ but that’s too pointed) Kwarteng/Fox/ either of the Johnson boys and many others – you’re now smeared with……god knows what.
    Armando – did you script this???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so much more than she could ever have imagined.

I think most things are more than she is capable of imagining.

Armando – did you script this???

As said the job of satire is falling away, VEEP this year couldn’t match the real version and for May it’s all things she should have known all about – as said lots of it was open secret like this one
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/14/shaming-ex-john-whittingdale-culture-secretary
    As said previously there are ways to remove MP’s now one of them is via petition it’s won’t take many heading to by elections in the wrong place to cause problems. I wonder how the DUP feel about the behaviour of some of them.

kimbers

maybots disastrous tenure as home sec, once again biting her in the arse

Lisa Nandy?Verified account
    @lisanandy

3 yrs ago, I asked Theresa May to act on evidence that Whips had covered up sexual misconduct. Today at #PMQs I asked her again to act.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwkOWPauu_A[/video]

bloomin heck Ive become JHJ

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Another election on the cards if May loses majority..’ is closed to new replies.