Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Another cyclist assaulted – update
  • GrahamS

If you missed the other thread (before it got closed for unspecified reasons) there was a vid doing the rounds of a nasty **** pushing a female cyclist off her bike and into traffic.

Anyway, good news, according to the Grauniad the guy has handed himself in after the video went viral.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/25/man-pushes-cyclist-into-london-traffic-metropolitan-police

(Mods: no intent to re-open a closed topic. Just thought people may appreciate the update)

curto80
    Free Member

Someone arrest that man

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good news.

Now I hope they get whoever re opened this thread/topic.

GrahamS

The force said on Tuesday evening that a 33-year-old had attended Bethnal Green police station at around 1.30pm and identified himself as the man shown in the video.

He was not arrested but would be interviewed by officers from Tower Hamlets “in due course”, it added in a statement.

Chances are that’ll be the last we ever hear of it. 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

Shame. Was hoping justice would be served another way.

GrahamS

Now I hope they get whoever re opened this thread/topic.

Shut up yooouu mag

You want some? C’mon. C’MON THEN!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Hnaded himself in now, appraently, accroding to The Grauniad.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

You want some? C’mon. C’MON THEN!

Leef it Graham, ee’s not wurf it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shirley the fuzz will have satisfied themselves as to his id and address?

DezB violence…really?

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, why not?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Politely applauds the decision

cynic-al
    Free Member

You really need me to answer?

teasel
    Free Member

Chances are that’ll be the last we ever hear of it.

I hope not. Unlike the other recent video (the Reading incident) this guy physically assaulted her and it’s been recorded – I’d like to think he’ll face an assault charge at the very least.

squoglybob
    Free Member

What a dick, and why does that never happen to me when I ride my bike?

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

…because you don’t give the finger to people often enough?

GrahamS

Yep, if I’ve learnt anything from the online comments about this it is that if someone shouts “SHUT UP YOU ****” and starts hurling abuse at you then the correct response is to roll over and be as meek as possible. Anything else is just asking for it. 🙄

MrNice
    Free Member

and if you wear a camera then you’re antagonizing people so you’re the one at fault (that lesson was from a poster on here)

teasel
    Free Member

the correct response is to roll over and be as meek as possible. Anything else is just asking for it.

Or, and here’s a weird one, you could just carry on without any reaction at all. No rolling over necessary. Well, except tyres over tarmac, obviously.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or not make passive agressive comments to strangers in the first pace.

Not be surprised when their response isn’t polite.

Not escalate it in kind.

He’s a dick, but she wasn’t exactly a shining beacon of politeness herself.

What if car drivers started shouting at cyclists “please dont scratch my paint”? Or should vunerable road users be submissive to anything bigger/faster/more expensive?

DezB
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Don’t need to be arrested to be prosecuted. Can be voluntary interviewed under caution, same effect as under arrest but Code G of PACE basically says if someone voluntarily attends a police station arresting (purely to interview) is unlawful, the Met were successfully sued by a teacher so most forces doing far more voluntaries now.

Don’t let facts get in the way of indignation though.

atlaz
    Free Member

After watching the video I did wonder why she felt the urge to ask him not to push her off. No excuse for him to chase her and do that but it’s all a bit odd.

jimjam
    Free Member

atlaz – Member

After watching the video I did wonder why she felt the urge to ask him not to push her off. No excuse for him to chase her and do that but it’s all a bit odd.

She’s on a bike, an angry man is running after her. Perhaps she felt the urge to ask him not to push her off because she correctly assumed he was going to push her off.

Anyway, he’ll probably get off with a caution.

atlaz
    Free Member

She’s on a bike, an angry man is running after her

But he wasn’t running after her when she told him not to do what he ultimately did.

crankboy
    Free Member

Any explanation why it took so long to release the video given it got the desired result within 24 hours?

turboferret

What surprised me about the article was noticing that the incident took place on 1st May. Why the nearly 4 month delay between being assaulted and the story reaching the news?

Cheers, Rich

teasel
    Free Member

But he wasn’t running after her when she told him not to do what he ultimately did.

There’s one obvious explanation – she had a flash vision of what was about to happen and politely asked for it not to take place.

A psychic cyclist, if you will…

DezB
    Free Member

There is another thread for those who want to ensure they don’t repeat the same discuNO!! I SHAN’T!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or she just decided to break rule 1 of everything, don’t be a d***, and it escalated from there?

gravitysucks
    Free Member

What surprised me about the article was noticing that the incident took place on 1st May. Why the nearly 4 month delay between being assaulted and the story reaching the news?

I’d imagine that after months of nothing coming to fruition with he police investigation she threatened to release the video to social media unless the police did. The delay does seem bonkers considering how quickly get identified when something does go viral on social media.

GrahamS

Or not make passive agressive comments to strangers in the first pace.

She saw someone ignore the red man and walk off a central reservation into her path whilst staring at directly at her.

Worried about his intent she said simply: “Please don’t try and knock me off”.

I’m not sure why that is “passive aggressive” (or being a dick)?
    Seems like a simple enough request to me.

Don’t let facts get in the way of indignation though.

I’m aware they didn’t need to arrest him. I highlighted that bit in response to curto80.

But I’d still be willing to bet that very little will actually happen to him unless he has prior.

Why the nearly 4 month delay between being assaulted and the story reaching the news?

Because it was just a cyclist so obviously not a high priority case.
    Compare and contrast to the video of the guy scratching the Aston Martin which the Met made public much faster.

convert

I’m not sure why that is “passive aggressive” (or being a dick)?

Would that have been your turn of phrase in that circumstance? ‘Try and knock me off’ is a phrase that implies aggressive intent. I think ‘Please give me space’ would be my choice if I’d bother to say anything (I wouldn’t). She could have just had a brain to mouth interface error I guess. Makes little odds though – his response was clearly disproportionate and I hope he is now mortified/ashamed irrespective of what charges he faces.

Because it was just a cyclist so obviously not a high priority case.

I’ve not read anywhere that the police had the film for four months. Cyclist could have just not reported it until more recently. Or it took that long from the Police using it to it being a sufficiently slow news day for a national rag to bother picking it up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

He’s a dick, but she wasn’t exactly a shining beacon of politeness herself.

Please dont try and knock me off my bike?

Yes it does not get more impolite than that 😕

Who would not expect a fight saying that eh ?

Or she just decided to break rule 1 of everything, don’t be a d***, and it escalated from there?

You do realise he is the one ignoring the rules of the road dont you.

It escalated due to him in every way imaginable

Will follow the advice of dez b

I do wonder what has to happen though for the STW types to actually accept that the cyclist did nothing wring expect to , unfortunately, encounter an aggressive individual who broke the law and behaved in a highly unpredictable and aggressive manner.

These “debates” are the cyclist equivalent of going well dressed like that and having been drunk well what did she expect.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Both acted like dicks imo.

GrahamS

Would that have been your turn of phrase in that circumstance?

I was about to ask the same thing. What is the appropriate non-passive-aggressive non-dickish thing to say when you suspect someone might be about to push you off your bike?

I think ‘Please give me space’ would be my choice if I’d bother to say anything (I wouldn’t).

Seems reasonable, but I suspect you’d probably have got exactly the same response (“SHUT UP YOU *****!”).

His attitude in the video suggests that he is the kind of guy that sees politeness as a weakness.

(Personally I’d probably have gone for a simple “Morning!” or not said anything and drop my shoulder a little in case he was planning to do something daft).

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Jesus…and people wonder why the previous thread was locked 🙄

slowoldgit
    Free Member

He has The Look already in that pic. One feels it’s not going to end well for someone that day.

But just why have they waited from May 1st?

convert

might be about to push you off your bike?

At that point I think that is still a little unfair (as it still implies aggressive intent) – accidentally walking into her would seem the biggest issue. No pedestrian would deliberately do that as it bloody hurts! I have to confess I do what he did all the time, but mainly with cars – set off to cross the road before the thing has gone past knowing I won’t get to where we’ll collide in time, or I’ll slow down if it looks likely.

His attitude in the video suggests that he is the kind of guy that sees politeness as a weakness.

You are probably right.

Personally I’d probably have gone for a simple “Morning!”

That’s better than mine – it reminds the ped you are another human without any (intentional or otherwise) implied intent or fault on their part. Disarming, none confrontational, friendly – not very London!

rene59
    Free Member

The guy was out of order no doubt and his aggression should be punished for what it was – assault.

Why the woman felt the need to ask someone plainly crossing the road minding his own business to please don’t try knock me off my bike is a mystery.

To be perfectly honest I would have told her to **** off as well.

The way cyclists can do no wrong in the eyes of a lot of members on here is a joke.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The way cyclists can do no wrong in the eyes of a lot of members on here is a joke.

Cyclists clearly can do wrong this thread and many of the voices are proof of that fact.

Nice straw man as well what we are saying is that what she did was in no way responsible for what ensued as it was a way over the top reaction

In that incident she did nothing wrong in the same way as a drunk woman walking him in a small dress did nothing wrong.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Another cyclist assaulted – update’ is closed to new replies.