Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • America
  • yetidave
    Free Member

We have been invited to an event in nova Scotia late this coming summer. The event is 4 days long, but it’s a long way to go. So I want to spend 2 weeks over there. What should we look at doing. I want to go to yellowstone, but its a looong way. Motorhome camping I m thinking…

Ideas on a postcard please. Happy dreaming.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

nova scotia is about as far away from yellowstone as you are from nova scotia if youre in the UK…the US is a big place, you need to narrow it down a bit – planning on flying or staying more local? City, rural, active or a combination?

I lived in Philadelphia for 2 years and visited 20-odd states whilst I was there, there is plenty to see and do in the north east (New England) but if you want anything useful you need to set some parameters.

john_drummer
    Free Member

if you’re going to be in Nova Scotia then I suppose you’d be looking at the Atlantic cities in Canada (Quebec, Toronto, Montreal, Ottowa) & maybe the North East USA (New England) – try going any further & you’ll spend more time driving than seeing anything. as crashtestmonkey says, Yellowstone is a LOOONG way from Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia is here:

while Yellowstone is here:

icarus
    Free Member

I lived in the North East for a while and can recommend Vermont,not to far from where you will be and a lovely area in late summer,as has been said it’s such a big country if you try to see to much you will spend all you’re time on the interstate.

yetidave
    Free Member

Almost 5000 km…to yellowstone Quite a drive.. Setting parameters is difficult without knowing where to start, so I have to start here! Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I did think that maybe could fly somewhere first before driving, but the wife/kids don’t want to spend too much time flying either! So keeping it to the north east, what could we have on the schedule. More so, what about nova skoda? We will have four days with me sailing when Mrs yeti n kids will be having to find stuff to do.

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Maine. Coastal NP called Arcadia I think, heard good things.

Vermont. Ben and Jerry’s Factory Tour.

Boston. Cape Cod.

igm

Lived in Virginia for a year and saw 44 states. Driving, so that excluded Hawaii and Alaska, though we did see a bit of Canada.

You can drive very long distances quite easily in Canada / the US – whether you want to is up to you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Plenty of stuff in New England to see and do. Picking one place out of the whole US to see is just as daft as American tourists coming to ‘do’ the whole of Europe in a week.

Motorhome touring is hideously expensive. Best way to tour Imo is to buy or bring a small tent and camp at state or national parks. You get a little table and campfire in the woods, it’s the best place to be in the evening. Not like UK camping really. And cheap too.

Buy the rough guide to the usa. Good writing and they manage to inspire the reader to want to see and understand every region rather than just make a beeline for the crowded tourist spots.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘America’ is closed to new replies.