Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Amazon fire HD 10 tablet
  • richardkennerley

These are on special offer at the moment. Seem pretty cheap at £119 without ad’s.

Anyone got one/can recommend it? I see it comes with a specific Fire OS which tries to prevent installation of Google services. I’d like to be able to sync my Google photo’s account.

Plus does it have the reduced blue light function for reading at night!?

spacemonkey

The missus bought last years version for monkey jnr at Xmas. As an Amazon device it’re pretty limited for games/apps, especially for a kid that wants to play the same stuff as his mates. So I did the necessary research and managed to install various Google services on there along with Play etc. Was quite a ballache and I wouldn’t want to do it again.

It’s not the fastest device either. OS gets quite laggy but thankfully most games/apps are fine once running.

trademark
    Free Member

I was given a 7″ Fire HD as a present, the one with adverts.
    It runs Amazon Silk os. NIGHTMARE!
    Lots of things I got used to on Android do not work. Certain YouTube videos cannot be played, HTML5 spring to mind.
    Adblock doesn’t work. There are more that I don’t recall atm.
    Rooting apparently solves this but is beyond my capabilities and interest, I’m just going to buy a Chromebook for web browsing.
    It is very well made though, it’ll make quite a dent when it hits the bottom of the wheelie bin.

Edit; it could be a coincidence but after trying to deny it ramming Amazon-everything down my throat I recently noticed that three months of Amazon Prime had been taken from my bank account, without my permission!
    From day-one I had the in-app purchases set to OFF.
    Never again.

richardkennerley

Well that’s two pretty damning reviews!

I bought my wife a galaxy tab a 10.1 last year and I see that can be had for £180 now. She’s well pleased with that so maybe I’ll just get another one of those instead!

johndoh
    Free Member

I doubt I would want to spend £110 on an Amazon tablet, but the current £30 for the boggo standard 7” version is bloody good value.

We got them for our girls two Christmasses ago when they were £35 and they have proved *VERY* good value for that.

GrahamS

Is it the 2017 edition or a reduced price on the 2015 edition?

2017 edition looks good:
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/amazon-fire-hd-10-2017-review

Personally I’ve just picked up another hudl2 off our local buy&sell for £65. (This one is for the mother-in-law to replace her awful Archos tablet).
    Still great little tablets in my opinion, despite being fairly old now. Same 1920×1200 resolution as the new Fire, but no tie-ins to Amazon.

pocpoc
    Free Member

We got the 10″ one a couple of years ago.
    As spacemonkey says, the OS is very restrictive. It took me a lot of attempts to find a youtube apk that would work without having to link to every other google service.
    It is purely there to lock you in to the Amazon world and buy more stuff from them.
    It’s very slow and frustrating to use. Only redeeming feature seems to be that it is loud enough for 3 children to be able to hear it watching a film in the back of the car on the motorway.
    I’m currently looking at how to flash it and install a basic Android OS instead.

If I were you I would avoid it. Get a normal Android tablet for the same price. If you want all the Amazon stuff then they have Android apps available that work better most of the time.

GrahamS

It’s very slow and frustrating to use.

Should be noted that you’re presumably talking about the 2015 edition, That TechRadar review says: “We didn’t much care for the Amazon Fire HD 10 (2015), which cost $230 or £170 and had a terrible screen resolution, sluggish performance, and a plasticky design. The good news is that Amazon has shaved some money off the price for this year’s Fire HD 10, and bumped the resolution and performance. The bad news is that it’s still plastic.”

fossy

We have a Fire 10 for our aged mother in law. She mainly uses it for Facebook and you tube. Didn’t want to spend too much as she isn’t techy minded. It does the job

Sandwich

I have an 8″ 2017 vintage jobbie. It won’t play embedded BBC videos at all. Getting Google services on it wasn’t a problem, no native Flickr client. It allows for you to adjust the amount of blue you want in the screen during darkness. I use it when traveling to read and listen to music, the no advert version is a bit more expensive. Refunds for inadvertent buying of music and books is good and speedy.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I have one and it’s fine. I use it for Netflix, Spotify, browsing and you tube and really can’t complain. Takes a bit longer to start up than I’d like and access to more apps would be nice but for the money I’m happy.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I bought two Fire 7s last year.

Pretty easy and plenty of instructions available to flash stock android onto them. Great little tablet for £30.

tomcrow99

I have a 5th gen fire 8. Putting Google play store on it was easy as along as you are happy to install a few apk files. As a media consumption/web device it’s fine though a bit slow especially if you are used to a top spec phone. The 8s are currently only 49 for the latest version so I’m considering an upgrade as the latest ones are meant to be a fair bit faster.

Stainypants

The new fire hd10 is only 119. You’ll not get a better tablet for the cash. You can easily install google play store on them and then you geybthe best of both worlds. If my lg8.3 hadn’t come back to life this week is have one in a minute.

Stainypants

Double post

pocpoc
    Free Member

OK, I’ll take back some of what I said.
    Inspired by being reminded how useless it was and reading others on here I went in search of getting the play store installed and working on it.
    I used THIS guide and the files linked on it.
    Took a little bit to get going as I had the issue of the”install” but being greyed out but eventually got it to work.
    Now I have working play store and the tablet suddenly seems to have come to life! Just having chrome instead of their silk browser has made me actually use it instead of sitting gathering dust (the tablet, not me).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Amazon fire HD 10 tablet’ is closed to new replies.