Home Forums Bike Forum Am i just stupid but how does this hope 1.5 reducer work

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Am i just stupid but how does this hope 1.5 reducer work
  • robhughes
    Free Member

So i have in front of me the 1.5 to 1 1/18 reducer cup.
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/mtb-accessories/headsets-1/hope-hs136-15-1-1-8-reducer.html
    Now i know this just slips onto the 1 1/8 steerer so that the 1.5 bearing can sit into this.But what happens to the seal that seals the underside of the 1.5 bearing as it seems that you now don’t use either of the crown races.
    Am i going mad or .????

singlespeedstu

Does the 1.5 crown race not sit on top of the adaptor?

matthew_h
    Free Member

You fit the adapter to the crown of the fork which increases the crown to the same as a 1.5″ fork. You then fit the 1.5 crown race over the adapter and Bob’s yer uncle.

scotroutes

+1

spectabilis
    Free Member

Reducer is a bad name for it really….

actually bulks up a 1″1/8th steerer to 1.5″ so you can fit a 1.5″ crown race.

robhughes
    Free Member

Sorry guys..Think iv’e just had a touch of Alzheimers regarding the race….. 😀

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Be careful when you go to remove it as it’s made out of cheese!

andyl
    Free Member

it reduces a 1.5″ headset to 1 1/8″, hence the name.

robhughes
    Free Member

Mosey.It looks it.
    Probably heat it right up before even trying to get this lump on.. 😉

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah I put mine in boiling water and it dropped straight on. Getting it off however, resulted in one messed up adapter.

nuke

Anyone cut a slit in it to make it like a split crown race?

The crown race I’l be using is split…can’t see why it would hurt to do the same to the converter

tonyd

The reducer might be a bit more load bearing than a crown race, I’d be wary of splitting it.

nuke

Meh, got bored and went and did it anyway. Can’t see how it would be more more load bearing. Worked well and it’s still tight but it means you can get a screwdriver in there and tweak it on and off relatively simply. He who dares and all that 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Am i just stupid but how does this hope 1.5 reducer work’ is closed to new replies.