• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Am i daft 14.5 mile commute on shifts?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Having a bit of a think, toying with the idea of commuting on my mtb to work but probably only on earlies or days. Distance is 14.5 miles mostly cycle path in rural setting between towns.

I currently drive it but with rising fuel costs its getting a fair bit more costly to do. Plus maybe the added bike miles might improve my fitness.

Am i daft to bother with this as i will have to be up at 0400 to set off for 0430?

Anyone else do this

_tom_
    Free Member

I have to get up at 4:30 for my 6:30 shifts, I don’t think I could face riding a bike at that time of the day, it’s bad enough sitting in a car 0_0

I don’t like giving away my shift pattern, but I regularly ride 12 to 18km, with about 10km of that off road on either route, between 1 and 4 in the morning.
    I love it, as it means I regularly ride 12 to 18km, with about 10km of that off road on either route, between 1 and 4 in the afternoon. 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Do it, your fitness will thank you for it. Alternate the days you do it on or only do it when the weather lets you.

amplebrew

I’m working shifts and cycle to work, although I don’t leave until 6am.

I’ve found the mornings to be no problem especially now the weather is beginning to improve.

It’s really lovely being out and about so early 8)

I think the main problem is getting yourself out when the rain is beating off the bedroom window and it’s blowing a hoolie. Once you’ve got out in it though, it’s fine and never as bad as you thought.

I find cycling back after a late shift though around 2-3am to be the hardest as I’m usually really tired anyway.

I’d definately recommend cycling in though, I think it’s great.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Do you find it generally a pain in the bottom or just got used to it so not an issue?

theflatboy
    Free Member

if you’re going to have to be up anyway and using the time traveling in another way, you might as well ride. that’s generally been my perspective.

sofatester
    Free Member

I currently drive it but with rising fuel costs its getting a fair bit more costly to do. Plus maybe the added bike miles might improve my fitness.

Only one of those will improve by riding to work 😉

Do you find it generally a pain in the bottom or just got used to it so not an issue?

You will always be glad you rode. Just get through the first two weeks and you’re laughing.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Do you all do it on your mtb’s or commute type bike?

meehaja
    Free Member

I managed it, and my ride was hilly. Organisation is the key. Pack everything the night before, leave as much of your work kit as possible at work. Go fast at it in the morning, steady on the way home, you can still drive from time to time of you are tired etc!

amplebrew

bigbloke – Member

Whilst it’s no pian cycling into work in the mornings, there has been the odd time that the weather was so bad; I was nearly tempted to take the van or get the bus.

I’ve not given in though and I certainly feel better for it.

Even if I’m working extra hours or my days off, it means that I’m still getting some miles in.

I always cycle in on an empty stomach, then have breakfast in work.

bigbloke – Member

I use a Kona Big Unit singlespeed with mtb tyres which has proven to be reliable and very cheap to maintain.

Cycling to work will save you a fortune as well 8)

bigpole
    Free Member

I live 25 miles from work, I put my Bike in the car drive half way park up and ride the rest.(about 12 miles) I have to be out of the house by 5:30am to get to work, the ride only takes 40 mins on average.

higthepig
    Free Member

I do it but struggle with motivation sometimes and I have only 6 miles each way!
    I work 7-day 12 hour shift cycle (9-9), either days or nights with a week off in between. As has been mentioned above, planning is vital, sort your kit out well before hand and have a routine to do it so that you do not forget something important. I use both a MTB/CX bikes, depends on what mood I feel like, or what way the wind/rain is blowing or which bike is making the least noise!
    Good lights/back-up get you home ones are essential, as is keeping up on the maintainence of the bike. Nothing worse than having a mechnical half-way on your journey.
    Once out on the bike it is ace, it is just the motivation to do it. I’d say try it for a couple of days a week and then build up to the full blown not needing the car. Good luck

sofatester
    Free Member

MTB or road bike depending on conditions. Don’t buy anything new as that would defeat the object of trying to save money by riding in. If you only have one bike just ride that.

You wont need to change much. Just get some decent lights, perhaps a set of mud guards and away you go.

Only thing extra you need to do is spend half an hour each weekend making sure it’s cleaned, lubed and set up properly. You’ll also catch any potential issues early and be able to repair or replace before anything fails. Worth getting in the habit as it will mean you’re not faffing during the week.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i used to get up at 3.30, leave @ 4am to start at 5 am, again about 14 miles on a fast trunk road though. I really enjoyed it, made me fresh for the day ahead but it caught up on me and i was unable to do this and train for racing so i stopped the regular commute, choosing to do so on mid shifts or late shifts as my training regime allowed, you’ll definately get fitted and loose a bit of weight!

althepal

Literally could not do it..
    Would be about 12 miles each way but I do 12 hour shifts and I’m usually gubbed by the time I finish.. Never mind when it gets towards the end of the run of seven..

Drac

I walk to work and start at 7am it’s easy but then it’s quicker for me to walk then ride as I can be there before getting the bike out the garage.

If I lived further away say 10 miles or so I’d consider riding when on nights but would fancy the 5am get up for days.

Here’s two of my longer routes, about 16km, roughly 25% road, 25% single track and 50% farm track and canal tow path.
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/518551
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/519254
    I was doing it on a single speed MTB until a week or so ago. I put the Rohloff on to get used to riding gears again ready for the upcoming trailquests.
    Now I’ve got two bikes I’ll probably use one as a SS commuter and one as a Rohloff racer.

What others have said, kit laid out, sarnies packed, all ready to go the night before.
    Lights and GPS on charge as soon as you get in as well.

I don’t have a problem with motivation. I cycle to work. That’s what I do. I don’t think about the other options.

robbo167
    Free Member

Early shift..up at 3.45 am,breakfast,ride 20 miles,shower,work at 6am….nice ride home in afternoon at 2.30……Lates means afternoon ride in for 3pm,home by 12.45 am.
    Do this 3/4 times a week..sometimes just too tired so stay flexible,as above the trick is getting properly organised at home and work..reccomend it for getting(and keeping fit) plus you start work all energised…the days I drive always feel much longer!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I do 12 hour shifts and have a 15 mile commute across the Quantocks to get to work (1000ft of climbing each way). I do get to include some great offroad detours if I’ve got the energy 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

used to, and did for three years a 12mile commute when doing rolling shifts, 6am-2pm, 2pm-10pm and 10pm-6am. Riding home at 10pm was nice in the summer and to be honest 6am is a nice time to be out and about, particularly in the summer.

I would do it,

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Am i daft 14.5 mile commute on shifts?’ is closed to new replies.