Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Altura night vision evo jackets! (are they any good)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

WOW! Those things are bright!

OK so my RF Atlas has big silvery reflective bits on it, and I ride arround with two cateye flashers on my back and one on my seatpost, but I'm not a bright bright yellow person shaped object. You could see this guy was a cyclist from half a mile away!

Anyway, not being an elite XC racer I couldn't catch him up, shout "elite racer comig through", hurl abuse, strip the bearings in his kona, tune his frame, take some tastefull nude pics of his wife and/or daughter, declare myself as the next big thing in rally motorsport before passing him and asking what its like as a jacket………………

So ohhh STW Oracle of knowlage, do they work as a waterproof and breathable jacket, or are they just a glorified workvest?

Was about to hit checkout on wiggle before the £15 off £100 ran out at midnight, but realised they'r £15 cheeper everywhere else anyway.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

trio25
    Free Member

I have one that I wear for commuting most days. It's not as breathable as my more expensive jacket I use on fun rides, but it is pretty good. I find the arm length a little short. But I really rate it as a commuting jacket where I want to be seen!!! I have the pink women's one by the way.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheers, my current jacket is a race face atlas, so not super expensive or breathable, but does the job with the pit zips open and sensible layers underneath (SS jersy and softshell normaly).

Anoyingly my aldi LS jersy is yellow with lots of silver piping/logo's/patterns and black underarms, but the same windstopper is nealry all black with a few yellow pannels!

It's mainly for not so cheeky nightime excursions involving more than ideal levels of roadwork.

The RF may still be needed when a more subtle aproach is required :p

windydave13
    Free Member

I'm using one at the moment as a trail jacket. Been out in the rain, mud and dry with it and can't fault it. As trio25 said, they are a little short in the arm so i had to take a size up but with christmas on the way there's plenty of space for some expansion!!

I went for the red one which isn't quite as bright as the yellow! Nice little feature on the rear to attach an LED, although not sure i'll need one for hossing round the trails.

I managed to get mine cheap from Merlin Cycles. Currently selling them t £69 for which the day i went they had an extra 10% off. Perhaps not as high performing as some of the other jackets but at the price i'm not worried about destroying it if i stack it on the bike which i'm sure i'll have done before the winter is out.

🙄

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

haha, stacking doesn't worry me, I'm the make do and mend type, my baggies have more of my stitching in than the original stuff, and some of my lycra stuff is heading the same way!

This just struck me as being a much better idea than a dark blue/gray jacket in the winter 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

I really like these – and after a few close shaves with the commuting traffic this winter, have been seriously looking into getting one (have a yearning for the red)

HOWEVER – they seem to have a really weird cut. I'm not overly fat / large build, but to get one that fits my torso comfortably I'd need to roll the arms up from my knees 🙁

organic355
    Free Member

I have a red one for commuting and I really like it, I do commute on the road bike though and find it does ruffle up a bit in front of you. seems pretty waterproof and has good pit vents.

The are bloody reflective though and you will look like TRON when the headlights hit you. (not me in the picture):

PS dont bother buying the optional hood, its a waste of time.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Ive got a black evo night vision, only had it 2 weeks so cant comment how well it breaths on hot rides. Im very impressed with it so far, the reflective parts really are bright, even the wrist straps are reflective. I only use it for commuting duties though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Altura night vision evo jackets! (are they any good)’ is closed to new replies.