Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Alternatives to an FSA Orbit-Z headset
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

About to replace one, so was wondering if there are any better quality or (even) cheaper alternatives? 50mm OD head tube, 1.125″ fork, semi-integrated, very low stack – anything else fit that description? Google doesn’t come up with anything equivalent….

Ta.

RustyMac

If it is standard zero stack it wil be 44mm ID, hope, nuke proof, cane creek + others do headsets suitable. If you want to replace it cheap then presuming the cups and races are ok you can just buy bearings for them. Google the numbers for the bearings and you should find them no problem, tehre are a few different types of bearings so it is best to remove the current ones and take the numbers off them directly.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I believe it is a 50mm OD headtube at the cups (head tube is flared at the top and bottom – will need to get calipers on it to be sure) – the whole thing is jiggered, esp bottom cup/race. Years of trundling around with zero maintenance has taken its toll…..

RustyMac

Years of trundling around with zero maintenance has taken its toll…..

This would suggest the one you have has faired pretty well.

I had one of these which uses standard cane creek bearings and it ran fine for a number of years with a bit of a clean out and re-grease every now and then.

This hope one will also fit but costs a bit more

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Thanks Rusty. Yeah, to be honest, for the cost of it, what it’s gone through and how long it’s lasted I really can’t complain. I would be happy to do a like-for-like replacement and just look after it a bit better. The Hope looks like a pretty good ‘bling’ replacement mind – have to see how far the budget stretches as the drivetrain needs replacing as well (not for a lack of TLC this time!).

RustyMac

As i said in my first post with the FSA headset using standard cane creek bearings you can pick replacements up for £10 -15 per pair, i never had any problems with the headset so wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

I have not used the hope one but it gets good reviews.

When it comes to the drive train check out the sales but also have a look at some of the german sites they have been very competative of late.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

When it comes to the drive train check out the sales but also have a look at some of the german sites they have been very competative ove late.

Been there, done that, made the spreadsheet, saved hundreds 😉

I have not used the hope one but it gets good reviews.

I have a standard 1.125″ Hope headset on my road bike – done thousands of miles and is still buttery smooth. Very tempted.

j40aja
    Free Member

Got a brand new one of these in black if you’re interested!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=51070

Came with my new frame but wanted Hope to match my BB, skewers etc!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Go on then – name your price and I’ll have a think, but I think the Hope one may be on the cards 😉

j40aja
    Free Member

Looking for £30 posted 1st class!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

OK – I think I’m going the way of the Hope – so I’ll pass. Ta.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to an FSA Orbit-Z headset’ is closed to new replies.