• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by pdw.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Alternative handlebar clamps for Lumicycle halogen lights
  • pdw
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of Lumicycle halogens which I’ve converted to LED and use for commuting.

The only problem I have with them is that the clamps are a bit of a pain. I don’t leave them on the bike when I leave it at my office and when putting them back on, getting the angle right is a bit of a faff and I usually end up trying to adjust with them when riding along (which usually ends up with the clamp coming off completely and having to stop to sort it out).

Has anyone got any suggestions for alternative clamps that can be made to fit the cans? Something where the light slides on and off a clamp which stays on the bike would be ideal.

CraigW
    Free Member

I’ve used mine with mounts from an old Cateye light.

ie one of these brackets: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-handlebar-bracket/
    You also need the bit that screws onto the light, and clips into the bracket. I think it is the H-27 spacer: http://www.shopcateye.com/products.php?product=H%252d27-spacer
    Though I’m not sure if these are actually available to buy anywhere.

pdw
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ve got a bunch of old cateyes lying around and I did briefly look at using the mounts from them a while ago, but I think I struggled to find a matching mount and light. Sounds like I should try a bit harder.

pdw
    Free Member

Managed to find some matching bits in my parts bin, and I’ve now got one of my lights on an old Cateye slidey mount. A little ugly, but works much better than the Lumicycle QR clamp.

As you say, the parts seem impossible to get in the UK but I’ve managed to order some more parts for my other light from that US Cateye shop (via family in the US).

brassneck

What are you using to heatsink your LEDs? That Tamiya motor thing, filed down?

pdw
    Free Member

Couldn’t get hold of any of the RC ones when I was looking, but managed to get some made up by a man with a lathe.

I got about 10 made up, kept 3, and the others were sold on here within a day or so of being advertised. Covered costs plus some beer money for the man with the lathe.

pdw
    Free Member

So yesterday a package of Cateye bits turned up, care of my brother in the US. For the benefit of anyone else looking at doing this, here’s a few details and pictures as it wasn’t easy to figure out which bits are compatible.

The clamps are available in the UK, but the mounts (spacers) only seem to be available in the US Cateye store, and they’ll only ship to the US. The prices are good, though: $2 for the spacers, $2.75 for the clamps and $8 for the helmet mount.

It turns out that Cateye have used at least two different types of mount, both of which have been used on different variants of the HL-500 light. The H-27 is the newer style (bottom left), but there’s also the H-24 which is slightly larger (bottom right). The H-27 fits the H-32 clamp (top left) and also the helmet mount.

Both can be made to fit the Lumicycle cans, and probably lots of other lights too, although the smaller H-27 is neater. They need a small spacer to give the mount a flat surface to mount onto, and need some minor bodging to make the spacer take the larger bolt needed for the Lumicycle cans.

I’ve now converted both of mine to the H-27 mounts, and they work very well. I can easily get them on and off with one hand, and there’s no faffing reseting the angle. The mounts allow for a few degrees of left/right adjustment in the angle of the lights, and if you want to adjust the angle up or down you can just undo the QR.

The helmet mount was an added bonus, allowing me to use one of my commuting lights as a helmet light for riding off-road.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Alternative handlebar clamps for Lumicycle halogen lights’ is closed to new replies.