Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Alps itinerary
  • therag
    Free Member

Going to France next week with a group of lads for 7 days lift assisted riding. All experienced riders on 150-170mm full sus bikes. We’re staying in Morzine so will obviously ride there and les ges, but where else is must ride destinations?
    Trail-dh riding but most of us don’t hit the big stuff like road crossings ect.

nickjb
    Free Member

Plenty to keep you busy in Morzine/PdS area. Head over to chatel and down to Champery. With both sides of les gets, both sides of Morzine, avoriaz and Mossettes plus a few ‘classics’ like col de cou or samoens there’s no need to go anywhere else really

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

dont discount the blues and green because they’re blue or green as ive always done before, because some of them turned out to be mega!

nickjb
    Free Member

Good point. There’s very little difference between reds and blues. The greens are easier but flow really nicely. Nearly all of them are steeper and longer than UK trail centres runs

parkesie
    Free Member

The family blue in morzine is a hoot. Not what you would expect from a family blue at all.

legend
    Free Member

Morgins, whatever you do get to Morgins!

therag
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys, I usually prefer riding blues/reds fast than blacks slow to be honest.
    I’ve have been before but only for a weekend so a full week is going to be a totally different trip.

adsbatts89
    Free Member

It’s well worth heading over to Samoens for a day. It’s not in the pds area but its hosting an Ews round this so that tells you a bit about the calibre of riding!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

THe Key to geeting to Morgins is to go via Pointe de Mosette and the Sassex valley and not to try to go via Chatel

steveh

If you’ve got transport a day in Pila would be a must for me. Drive to Aosta at the bottom of the valley and ride in all the dust you ever imagined back from Pila to the bottom as well as the stuff higher up.

nickjb
    Free Member

THe Key to geeting to Morgins is to go via Pointe de Mosette and the Sassex valley and not to try to go via Chatel

That’s certainly the easiest and quickest. It is worth going the Chatel way too if you have the time as it is a nice ride. Feels sort of epic without actually needing too much pedalling

BoardinBob

The “secret” stuff under the Super Morzine lift is brilliant. Easy enough to find. Loads of brilliant off piste stuff in the trees around the main Pleney line and Chavannes over in Les Gets. Definitely worth getting over to Champery. It’s worth it just for the Mossettes chairlift from the Lindarets bowl to the top of Pointe De Mossettes. Breath taking scenery over in the Swiss side. Loads of variety in Chatel to play on all day.

T-minus 5 days for me, assuming the French strikers don’t cause any more havoc!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s been over five years since I’ve been, but the Morgin tracks were the most fun I rode in the area at that time. There was barely anyone else there, so no queues for the lifts and no braking bumps. I would definitely recommend them, especially if any of you are riding a hardtail.

superfli
    Free Member

Yes, Morgins and Champery WC DH would be a must do. Champery WC DH is extremely steep and a little tougher to find. If coming from Champery, get off cable car and turn immediately left at the station exit. Follow trail down until you get to top of a chairlift. It starts there. If coming from Chatel side, head down from chairlift above the Red DH trail towards Champery. Get to station and turn right. The bottom section of WC DH is a little hard to find – I think it goes through a farmers field at bottom which would explain why. Once you hit the road turn right and follow road up for a few 100 yds. Turn left into what looks like a farm driveway. Trail joins here (toughest section IMO).

legend
    Free Member

oliverd1981 – Member

Nah, the key to getting to Morgins is to load up the van/car in the morning and drive round

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Nah, the key to getting to Morgins is to load up the van/car in the morning and drive round

To be fair I did do that quite a few times when I stayed in Chatel as it made the whole thing super easy, although there is a fun yet laid back route all the way down from the summit of Mosette that doesn’t take long at all if you get it right.

therag
    Free Member

No car, we’re flying. So much choice. Thanks for the replys

jambalaya
    Free Member

No car certainly limits your itinerary. You can get a minibus company to run you about, eg Google ski blue ridge they run a transport service

Ride all the PdS and search out “off piste”. The descent from Lac Joux Plan to Samoens is excellent and then spend a day riding in Samoens before getting a cab/minibus home

wl
    Free Member

Verbier. Unbelievably good natural technical singletrack, and hundreds of miles of it, away from the crowds. Talk to http://www.bikeverbier.com if you want to get to the best bits. There’s a decent and growing bike park too, but it’s still not a patch on the stuff Bike Verbier guide on.

BoardinBob

Verbier. Unbelievably good natural technical singletrack, and hundreds of miles of it, away from the crowds. Talk to http://www.bikeverbier.com if you want to get to the best bits. There’s a decent and growing bike park too, but it’s still not a patch on the stuff Bike Verbier guide on.

We’re staying in Morzine

😉

wl
    Free Member

BoardinBob – I know, but it’s not actually that far away, and it’s definitely worth the effort, especially if OP could manage one night and two days’ riding (or more) in Verbier.

therag
    Free Member

Ended up riding Morzine park & bits of off piste,
    Super Morzine park & off piste,
    Les gets park, chatel, lindarets, col du co, Swiss national track & avoriaz.
    The week flew by and I could of done 10 days easily. Great trip.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Sounds like an awesome riding.

northernmatt

Sounds awesome. 2 weeks on Friday for me. I am counting the days/hours/minutes etc.

therag
    Free Member

The heat was totally unexpected too, took loads of waterpoofs after hearing the tales from last year. The dust on the busiest trails was incredible but I’d take that over streams.

therag
    Free Member
    nickjb
    Free Member

Lucky you. Its at least 50% better when it’s dry and sunny. Always pot luck though. 2 weeks to go for us.

rascal
    Free Member

A week Friday for me…the days are grinding by slower than a slow thing.
    The guy running the chalet says it was mid 30s the week before last 8)

godzilla
    Free Member

Through the mill is a good one too, love that trail.

Markend
    Free Member

@therag

I met you guys at the top of the Col De Coux – thanks for letting me tag along to Champery!

showerman
    Free Member

never trust the weather. i missed the group ride last year as stuck in hospital, looking at the photos i was glad to be it looked horrible with the rain.
    but have been on other years when its a dust bowl which is how i like it.
    can never get over the braking bumps out there, greens and blues are great runs the height of some of the burms are great.

therag
    Free Member

Markend. Good to meet you, and what a place!
    No prob, we were all glad to be shown that route. I was on the orange transition and I think I asked you to take a pic

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Alps itinerary’ is closed to new replies.