Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Alpkit Koala alternatives
  • stevious

Planning a trip in July and need some more on-bike luggage. Had planned on the Koala but they don’t seem to be in stock and probably unlikely to be in stock in time for my trip.

Are there any other options in the same price ballpark?

Thanks.

colin9

You can use an Alpkit Airlok Xtra drybag with the extra straps instead. It’s not tapered but if you pack it right with softish stuff you can strap in on firmly and it’s also only £8.

northshoreniall

Apidura?

iainc

the new Apidura stuff looks decent and the seat packs are similarish price to the Koala. I have a Revelate, which is same idea although more dosh

scotroutes

Also a Revelate user. Very pleased with my kit.

stevious

Thanks for the info. Suspect that the tapered Airlok might be the way forward this time as we’re just credit-card touring. Will definitely keep the others in mind for more rugged trips in the future.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IIRC the tapered airloc is intended to inside the koala and would be subject to wear form straps/grit etc.

I ordered my koala through the combinator page and it was with me in just over a week, the combinator site says it’s all made to order now and should be done in under 48 hours. Give them a ring and check?

Cheezpleez
    dirtydog
    Free Member

Available from ktm.nl for £31.00 delivered, bought one last week, not waterproof so dry bag would also be needed as a liner.

breninbeener

When i go to ktm.nl i just get fab but no use motorbike page. Can you send a link pls?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Just had a look but cant find them listed, maybe they have sold out.

There was a guy on ebay selling them for £38.00. Search ebay for “Fat Bike Mountain Bike Road Bike Mtb touring seat saddle bag 18ltr ktm”, sorry can’t provide a link as on a mobile device, just checked and he’s got one left.

Seller is listed as hullkrrichie.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Wildcat

damascus
    Free Member

I bought a ktm 18l bag from the guy on eBay. It had a 1.5kg tent and 600g sleeping mat in it. It was very good but it did have a bit of movement. It survived a 5 day c2c mtb route. For £30 I would highly recommend it.

chief1409
    Free Member

I have a brand new unused Koala that I bought recently for doing the West Highland Way and ended up not using. I was going to post it for sale anyway. It’s yellow and yours for £60 including postage?

cynic-al
    Free Member

A customer used Revelate and told me the straps wore through the fabric, he prefers Apidura.

stevious

Thanks for the offer Chief but am looking for 2 of them.

Will speak to alpkit about getting a couple made but if not I think the airlok should survive the use it’ll get on the road bikes for a week.

P20

We’ve got the Alpkit koala, they’re good, but I would seriously consider the Apidura that my mate has if I was buying again.

damascus
    Free Member

I was disappointed that the apidura kit was not waterproof.

dirtydog
    Free Member

@breninbeener

Now at proper PC, link to KTM bag… £31.00 delivered direct from KTM.

http://www.ktm-shop.nl/ktm-bicycle/bike-parts/saddlebags/saddle-bag-velcro-tour-xl.html

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just pop it in your winkelwagen

breninbeener

@dirtydog, many thanks, ihave ordered!

fin25
    Free Member

Koala back in stock on the alpkit website

ragpuddin
    Free Member

Any idea what the processing and delivery ETA is like on these KTM bags?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Mine took around 8 days.

ragpuddin
    Free Member

Thanks, gives me some idea what to expect, ordered last Friday (29th) and noticed it still unprocessed but might as well consider it only two working days in.

Thanks for the original heads up btw.

ragpuddin
    Free Member

Quick update of this for anyone who ordered around the same time, or slightly after, and is scratching their head wondering what’s going on.

It’s Austrian national holidays so the Dutch KTM shop is trying to get their order through and struggling, they think they (KTM) have the stock available but more will be made up anyway and orders will be fulfilled.

The nice mr man at KTM-shop.nl I spoke to was very apologetic and said there was about twenty outstanding orders, mostly from the UK and he was going to contact KTM again after he’d spoke me.

slugwash
    Free Member

Has anyone who ordered a KTM bag after reading this thread received theirs yet? I’m having trouble logging into my KTM ‘account’, and so far, UPS have not stuffed a bulky package from the Netherlands through my letter box 😕

EDIT: now logged in and no mention of order having been despatched. Grrr!

rudedog
    Free Member

“IIRC the tapered airloc is intended to inside the koala and would be subject to wear form straps/grit etc.”

Nah, it can be used fine on its own and is actually heavier built than the normal airlok xtr. Capacity seems slightly less than the 13l normal airlok due to the tapered design.

Here is a pick from a recent trip :

ragpuddin
    Free Member

Has anyone who ordered a KTM bag after reading this thread received theirs yet? I’m having trouble logging into my KTM ‘account’, and so far, UPS have not stuffed a bulky package from the Netherlands through my letter box

EDIT: now logged in and no mention of order having been despatched. Grrr!

I received an email (8th) from the KTM shop a few hours after I called them and they said that KTM in Austria had this to say: “Our system was out of order last days and we couldn’t ship any orders , all backorders are picked and ready for shipment “ .

To which the KTM shop said: “So our appologies for delay… products will be shipped as soon as the are in our wasrhouse”

So let’s be generous and say they got the Austrian shipment by Friday 12th and they started processing Monday 15th….

If I haven’t heard anything by Friday I’ll give them a call…again.

slugwash
    Free Member

Ok, so I’ve had a reply and it looks like I might not have the bag for my forthcoming Tour de France bike packing trip, but hopefully it’ll arrive for my September Tour Mont Blanc jaunt 🙁

Anyway, here’s the email I received (with names slightly altered to shade identities)…

Dear Mr Gradient Pervert,

We are still waiting for delivery from KTM Bikes

We asked KTM for update and they told us that they don’t know when products will be in

So our apologies for delay… do you still want to wait ?

With kind regards,

Testikool Van Torsion,

Assistant Logistics Manager,

KTM-shop.nl

Honderdland 173

2676 LT Maasdijk

http://www.ktm-shop.nl

info@ktm-shop.nl

sandwicheater

Anyone have a working link to the KTM saddle bag? Struggling to find it.

ragpuddin
    Free Member

Nope, as soon as the Dutch KTM shop went out of stock their online system took it offline. There’s a Hungarian(?) retailer that shows up on google and there was a guy from Hull selling them on ebay (for more than KTM were charging) but they seem to have all gone now, looks like he ran out of his own personal stock.

@Slugwash. So it seems KTM Austria are blagging bastards. Who knows how long you’ll have to wait they’re probably being made up in the Far East and could be two months away.

The bag is in the 2015 official bike gear and parts catalogue: http://issuu.com/ktm-bike-industries/docs/ktm_parts_gear_2015/47?e=14611674/10383468

Not that that means a great deal.

sandwicheater

Thanks ragpuddin, with fathers day around the corner I’ll be dropping some Alpkit hints.

ragpuddin
    Free Member

Anybody get one of these this am?

Good morning ,

This morning we have to our great regret, received the following reply from the representative at KTM bikes.

These bags prove unfortunate enough to be completely sold out … and is therefore waiting for 2016 for the new collection ...

We apologize for the delay and inconvenience.

We will immediately request a credit for you at the platform which processes online payments.
    After some processing time the total amount will be returned to your account again

Once again our apologies

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Yep, ditto 🙁

belugabob
    Free Member

Me too. Rather surprised, as they didn’t disappear from the site until several days after I placed my order.

I have an alternative, but was looking forward to this. Will have to weigh up the option of buying one of the more expensive brands.

Shame.

damascus
    Free Member

Just spotted these Blackburn bar and saddle bags on eBay. No idea if they are any good but they are cheaper than some alternatives.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=141732933369&alt=web

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=141732700269&alt=web

belugabob
    Free Member

If anybody is interested – and prepared to wait – the KTM saddlebags are available to pre-order…

Online shop link

belugabob
    Free Member

Well, to my great surprise, the saddlebag was waiting for me when I arrived home tonight.(I checked, and it isn’t January yet)
    It seems very well made, and quite sturdy.
    I’ve had a quick fitting session, and it seems to be just the job, although I did fit it in a slightly wonky manner, due to not bothering to unlock the bike and get proper access to it.

I feel a shakedown ride coming on 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Koala alternatives’ is closed to new replies.