Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • alpkit fuel pod – what do you put in yours?
  • nedrapier

Thinking about the med or the large.

I’d probably put camera mid-size compact (LX7), wallet, phone, nibbles tools in it. for bikepacking tip. I reckon that’s probably the large. Could also do tools, phone and a windlayer if it’s my only bag on a day ride.

Any thoughts?

whitestone
    Free Member

Just hit the order button on the medium sized fuel pod so will let you know 🙂

I’d say you want the items that need to be to hand rather than “just maybe”.

dknwhy

I’ve got both the medium and large. The large seems slightly less stable.

I use the medium on my cx bike and it usually has my phone, keys, wallet etc in. Use it for a light battery pack too if night riding.

I use the large on my mtb as I have a reverb dropper and can’t use a saddle bag. It carries a tube, tools etc plus keys, phone wallet.

jam-bo

I used a medium for a recent trip, small camera, phone, map and snacks fitted ok. If you don’t have the fuel cells either side of it they have a tendency to flop around a bit.

nedrapier

Cheers whitestone.

This is more back-up capacity to the other bags – that^ stuff currently lives at the front of the frame bag.

I guess I should have asked: “What size have you got and what do you manage to fit in it?”

scandal42
    Free Member

Unleaded

jmatlock
    Free Member

I have the small fuel pod, I use it on my Diverge.

It is usually just got snacks in for long ride, debit card and keys maybe.

On a longer ride I stick an extra spare tube in there too.

Lovely well made little thing for the money.

cokie

Didn’t know these existed.
    They look like a perfect substitute for a saddle bag.
    Is the small large enough for; 29” tube, multitool, tyre leavers, gels and maybe a phone?

jmatlock
    Free Member

Cokie

Its bigger than it looks, im sure you could squeeze that stuff in there.

I hate the look of seat packs.

whitestone
    Free Member

A question of my own:

Does anyone mount their fuel pod at the back end of the top tube, i.e. to top tube and seat post? I’ve got an unnamed small fuel pod as well so am thinking have that one at the front and the Alpkit one at the back.

40mpg

I use a large which sits really well on the twin top tubes on my Fatty. Carries (big) tube, multitool, pressure gauge, and my bag’o’bits – tyre levers, puncture kit, zip ties, quick links for 8/9/10 speed chains and allsorts of assorted junk for trail fixes.

Plenty of room still for wallet and phone too!

And I run it at the wrong end, just to be different 😀

[url=https://flic.kr/p/u2EPQ6]P6206673[/url] by Allan, on Flickr

stevious

Small fuel pod for me. Big enough for some snacks and an iphone on bikepacking trips.

hilldodger
    Free Member

medium and large all out of stock anyway – been waiting awhile for them 🙁

whitestone
    Free Member

medium and large all out of stock anyway – been waiting awhile for them

I must have ordered one of the last medium ones in stock then as there was only “Chilli” out of stock early this morning.

cokie

Hm, still showing stock on all Medium except ‘steel’.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Oh I’ll go check, have been waiting for the “back in stock” e-mail….

whitestone
    Free Member

Showing all colours as in stock https://www.alpkit.com/products/fuel-pod-medium

hilldodger
    Free Member

yes, thanks – added to basket 🙂

40mpg

If you want an alternative, and to support recycling, cottage industry and fellow bikers, have a look at Beerbabe’s stuff. Its really good!

nedrapier

Thanks all!

Academic in the end – no larges in stock, so medium it is!

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive a beerbabe one and its great. Out the other day stuff in my alpkit bag was wet beerbabe was bone dry. Really well made too

nedrapier

Firestarter – what size is that one? med or large?

Edit – never mind, could be either – the side panels the same, just the width that’s different.

firestarter
    Free Member

She made it to my spec as i wanted a certain size and shape for my phone and other bits. its more on the medium size side but a bit bigger

firestarter
    Free Member

The side panels certainly were different when i got this im pretty sure they still are tbh. Worth an email tho as she will spec to order

nedrapier

It’s bit confusing on the site to be honest. There’s med, large and sumo. spec page says med and large are the same bar the width – 40mm v 60mm. But some of the shots of the Sumo say Large.

Worth an email anyway, cheers,

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘alpkit fuel pod – what do you put in yours?’ is closed to new replies.