Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alpine bike holiday recommendations wanted
  • mainmonkeyking
    Free Member

Hi. Myself and a couple of mates have got sign-off from our better halves to spend a week biking this summer. We’ve been to Morzine a few times and love the riding (esp Chatel and Morgins) but find the weather a bit too variable. I’ve been and its rained all day every day for seven days…

So – what do you recommend? We’re definitely more ski-lift downhill types when on tour and revert to singletrack hooligans on home soil…

Cheers!

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi, is this link any good to you,
    http://www.summitdown.com/

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

try this in Portugal, they don’t really “do”rain in the summer in the Algarve. They also will do a split week if there are a few of you and take you up to Lousa in central Portugal for a few days. Anyway have a look at their website there are a couple of videos from customers that have been and some photos etc, they are pretty well in with the locals in both areas so you will get to ride some excellent trails/tracks.
    http://www.freeriderepublic.com/

alexxx
    Free Member

we only had about 3 weeks of rain all interseason and summer last year! but I’d look at spain if you were after something different

ianv
    Free Member

Andorra, la Molina, les angles, ax les thermes- pyranees
    Orcieres, Pra loup, Val d’allos , montgenevres- southern alps

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

we only had about 3 weeks of rain all interseason and summer last year!

les arsc bloody didn’t… wettest summer there for years.

bland

What ianv said, head south, all of what he said plus PILA!

mainmonkeyking
    Free Member

Many thanks all. All suggestions much appreciated. I’ve played sort of safe and decided to go for Morzine again and risk the weather. Though I think we’ll aim to get a day away.

The Portugal stuff looked pretty crazy – mostly appeared to be gunning directly over wasteland and disused fields.

Next year I shall prepare sooner and get away to one of the other destinations you’ve listed.

Cheers

bland

dont do it, you will regret it. Other riding out there is so much better, much quieter, awesome trails and weather pretty much guaranteed to be better. Also, breaking bumps, i say no more.

We stopped off for two days in the PDS two years back on a 2 week road trip and it was by a long shot the worst riding we experianced, even worse than places like val’disere which we knew nothing about.

If you are driving then do it, if going guided then just choose another company somewhere else, i.e. les arcs.

You wont regret it i assure you.

Drop me an email and i will email you an account of where we have been and how to get a free day riding in in the alsace if you are driving down and back!

mainmonkeyking
    Free Member

Hi Bland. I’m pretty familiar with Morzine and spend zero time actually riding in Morzine or Les Gets. Chatel is great for big scary jumps, Morgins is proper downhill race territory, then there is Champery, the Swiss Cup track, the French National, etc, etc.

Les Gets + Super Morinze, not so good and is where most people head.

That said – I’m already thinking about 2013…email on it’s way to you ;0)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alpine bike holiday recommendations wanted’ is closed to new replies.