Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alpine 160 noise – driving me mad
  • psguerin
    Free Member

I have a noise that seems to emanate from around the cranks/shock area. It sounds like cables banging the aluminium but they are all zipped up or wrapped in silicon tubing. The crank and pedals are new and the noise was there before I replaced them. I have checked and greased every bolt I can think of and taken the seat post out (Reverb) and shaken it.

It is worst over braking bumps but cannot be simulated by shaking the bike or be heard during big drop offs.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

So it sounds like a filling cabinet full of spanners falling down some stairs? Bottom bracket ok?

matt_outandabout

Chain on underside of swingarm?

scraprider
    Free Member

i had a noise like that on mine , turned out the shock bushes were a bit worn , again would only show on bumps , nice one GaVgAs that made me giggle.

scary_carey
    Free Member

Try taking the mech hanger off and give it a good clean and put a bit of grease on the back of it when replacing. My Five used to make a similar noise and as the frames made our of scaffold bars it’s hard to tell where some creaks and moans come from. Could be worth a try

mattmbk
    Free Member

Spent ages looking for a bizarre noise on a friends 5, sounded like cranks, BB etc but cured by changing the rear skewer for the one on my bike. Regreased his and it cured the crack. Good luck.

oxnop
    Free Member

I had this in my 160. Replaced the shock mounting hardware which sorted it.

It was honestly doing my head in, god damn clicking on nearly every pedal stroke when going over bumps, I even tightened my chainring bolts on my crank so tight it snapped my bash guard off, I then picked the bike up and threw it down the valley side it got on my nerves so much!!

psguerin
    Free Member

Thank you all. A few more things to check.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

then picked the bike up and threw it down the valley side

I like it.

psguerin
    Free Member

It turns out that the noise was a loose spring in the rear brake pads. The pads are superstar components ones and I don’t have an old spring to replace it with. Will try some Goodrich or hope pads and maybe the spring will be stronger. I worked this our when riding downhill and noticed that the noise disappeared when I dragged the back brake. The alpines’s frame seems to amplify any noise.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alpine 160 noise – driving me mad’ is closed to new replies.