• This topic has 76 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Moe.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • All day Fog Lamps!
  • supertacky
    Free Member

Following on from my mildly amusing “Middle lane Hogging on M8 motorway” I’d like to throw another pet hate of mine out for wider debate.

Why not switch you fog lamps off when its not foggy instead of driving around blinding everyone.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Because it doesn’t blind anyone. I have no problem with this, it’s more light to see them by.

I don’t have any on the front of my van though. Nor have I ever owned a car with them.

LoCo
    Free Member

To show off (car dependant), neither of my vehicles are fitted with them and I’m damn jealous I can tell you, drving there with your extra lights and stuff 😯

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mega
    Free Member

eu regulations that all new cars must have daytime running lights
    Thanks continentals

fbk
    Free Member

Have to agree – very annoying. And I think rear ones should be banned – if only people understood the fact that you really don’t need to use them after a light shower, in a queue of traffic grrr!!!

supertacky
    Free Member

It is illegal to have any fog lights on unless the visibility is under 100yds.

supertacky
    Free Member

BTW I’m not talking about all day running side lights it fog lamps.

Cougar

Daytime running lights != fog lights.

I find it helpful that some people drive round in fog lights; it serves as advance warning that I’m near someone who can’t drive.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Because it doesn’t blind anyone.

Rear ones in heavy traffic and when not needed can certainly dazzle people.

I assume that people who leave their rear fog lights on when not required do so because working out when to have them on or off is too complicated for them.

And I assume that people who leave their front fog lights on when not required do so because they think it makes them look like rally drivers.

Houns

Sadly DRL’s are causing the increase in muppets thinking it’s ok to use foglights all the time

Though what I am hating most at the moment (and this isn’t the drivers fault!) are the cars that switch a foglight on when the driver is indicating…This makes the indicator harder to see and makes the car look like one of the lights are out…VW I’m looking at you! 😡

Houns

Foglights when the roads are wet do dazzle me

supertacky
    Free Member

From Highway code –

“You MUST NOT
    • use any lights in a way that would dazzle or cause
    discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians,
    cyclists and horse riders
    • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously
    reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility
    improves to avoid dazzling other road users”

Could these symptoms be common to the fools that I see daily driving whilst speaking on the phone or texting?

supertacky
    Free Member

“Because it doesn’t blind anyone”

errr yes they do!

Grimy
    Free Member

Fog lights don’t blind you any more than regular dipped beam lights would. The whole point about fog lights is that they are mounted lower down, and aim downwards at the road immediatly in front of the car to cut under the fog, and thus reduce the amount of light bounced back at the driver. Set correctly they should be no more blinding to oncoming traffic than your regular lights.

Why do people use them? Because most new cars have large alloys prone to cracking when hitting the huge pot holes our roads are covered in. They are hard to spot at distance because of your low position in a car, and even in daylight your normally on top of them before you see them and take evasive action. Fog lights really help you to see the road right in front of you, critically in the area potholes tend to reveal themselves, which is an area that your higher mounted dipped beam seem to leave dark.

Just what you jobsworths find so annoying is completely beyond me? Is it that you haven’t any yourself, or that your economy class wagon doesn’t have the aesthetic large wheels (as stupid as they are) to worry about. If anything you should be chuckling to yourselves when you see someone with their fogs on, as they have obviously gone for style over performance with their wheel choice, not having a little bitch about them blinding you which is horse shit.

Cougar

Why do people use them? Because most new cars have large alloys prone to cracking when hitting the huge pot holes our roads are covered in. They are hard to spot at distance because of your low position in a car, and even in daylight your normally on top of them before you see them and take avasive action. Fog lights really help you to see the road right in front of you, critically in the area potholes tend to reveal themselves, which is an area that your higher mounted dipped beam seem to leave dark. they look cool, innit.

FTFY.

Also, I think I’m a better judge of what blinds me than you are. Maybe you just don’t notice, up there above traffic in your [penis extension | high horse] (delete where applicable).

Sandwich

If you can’t see the obstruction/hazard with dipped beams you are:

going too fast for the conditions, slow down

or

you need a night vision eye-test, get it done.

supertacky
    Free Member

Grimy, just to summarise you recon that fog lamp use rises exponentially with the number of potholes on the road…

Good argument I’ll give you that, also one that I can relate to as most dummies that do this seem to have highly modified cars and very little intelligence.

The fact that there use in all but “foggy” conditions is illegal isnt at all important.

Grimy
    Free Member

High horse, lol, I’m not the one judging people for using their lights. Here get your self a pair of these Night driving glasses

supertacky
    Free Member

From highway code:
    “You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously
    reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than
    100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear
    fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility
    improves”…

But if the roads full of pot holes knock yourself right out… hahahaha 😛

Grimy
    Free Member

I know it’s illegal, and I don’t use use mine, I ditched the ridicules 19″ alloys my car came with from factory in favor of some with a little more rubber. I’m telling you why people may use them, and that I disagree about them blinding you. It’s easy to sit behind what the book says and proclaim your viewpoint divine, so let’s just agree to disagree.

Cougar

I’m not the one judging people for illegally using their lights

FTFY, again.

Also, you’re not judging people for using their lights, true, instead you’re being obnoxious and offensive towards people voicing objections about it.

scaredypants

they should automatically cancel whenever the engine is switched off – that’d fix half the problem (the forgetful/dozy); the dickheads who choose to have them on when it’s not foggy are then easy to spot

supertacky
    Free Member

Top idea scaredypants! Their infrequency of use could leave people confused as to how to turn them off, or maybe they just forget. Your idea would solve this.

Cougar

I disagree about them blinding you.

Again; how do you know what blinds me?

I’m telling you why people may use them,

What about rear fog lights? Are they for detecting potholes when suddenly reversing?

It’s easy to sit behind what the book says

The point being made isn’t really “it’s illegal” (though it is, and with good reason), it’s “they’re a bloody nuisance, inconsiderate, and cause discomfort to some (most?) other road users.” And you can argue that till the cows come home but you’ll still be wrong. So yes, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Cougar

they should automatically cancel whenever the engine is switched off

I thought most did, certainly on modern cars. 99% sure they do on mine; last car I remember driving that didn’t was in the 80s.

Grimy
    Free Member

This is not an argument I’m ever going to win but I’d like to make a point about the potholes your so blasé about. You can’t always just reduce your speed for fear of a pot hole, if the carriageway is otherwise empty. Straight, and it’s safe to cruise at the national speed limit, the chaps behind your will usually be pushing you to do so. Hitting potholes is no minor issue, it can cause serious damage to wheels and tyres, and in some cases cause their failure. I know from experience that there is nothing more frightening or dangerous than a blow out. If having fog on helps people spot the bloody things, I’m all for it. Argue all you want, but that’s the way I see it. If youve got anything more constructive to say other than what some government jobs worth wrote Ian book, then I’m all for it

Brycey
    Free Member

I reckon the chavs are trying to replicate the “drl look” as mentioned. It looks far too deliberate (sidelights rather than full headlights) on the shitbox Astras and Vectras you innevitably see doing it.

scaredypants

I believe thay “all” do now but a little old lady in her 1993 polo is my target demographic

Brycey
    Free Member

I’ve met Ian Book; he is a jobs worth right enough.

Houns

Again I’ll comment that foglights certainly do dazzle when the roads are wet, mirror effect you see grimy.

Also I highly doubt they improve pot hole spotting. As above, if you struggle then get eyes tested

Drac

I thought most did, certainly on modern cars. 99% sure they do on mine; last car I remember driving that didn’t was in the 80s.

I’ve never had one that does.

My current Golf does the one spot on thing, it’s not when you indicate as that would be silly it’s when you turn the wheel to certain position. So those sitting with them on waiting to turn have their wheel turned. I don’t the front one blinding but the high intensity rare certainly do.

Haze

Used to be pet hate of mine too, but I’ve got loads of new one’s so it doesn’t bother me so much these days.

I suspect most who use them think they look cool and convince themselves they’re not **** by insisting on calling them “driving lights”.

Cougar

I’ve never had one that does.

I’ve just tested mine.

My car has an ‘auto’ mode for headlights, turning on and off according to ambient light levels. The only time I have to touch the control is after it’s been in for a service and the mechanics have fiddled with the dial.

In auto mode, the fogs auto-cancel if I turn the ignition off for a few seconds.

In manual mode, when I turn the ignition off the headlights revert to sidelights (‘parking lights’ I suppose); when I turn the ignition back on, the fogs come back on (along with the headlights). If I turn the headlights off completely and back on, this also cancels the fogs immediately.

So, the fogs auto-cancel on my car unless you go out of your way to stop them by leaving your sidelights on all night.

highclimber
    Free Member

At least every other car I pass has front fogs on though they don’t dazzle you head on they certainly do when they come over a hill. much more than usual dipped headlamps.
    I understand some people often forget to turn them off after going through a fog patch but to see them on on a good day is just unforgivable and I hope they get a fine for it.

djglover
    Free Member

I’ve never found front fogs annoying. I tend to use them myself in the dark on unlit A and M roads where full beam is not appropriate because of oncoming traffic

FeeFoo
    Free Member

It still amazes me that people can be so uptight and mother-hen clucking when it comes to other people’s driving “errors”.

Fog lights can be dazzling but hardly in the same category as full beam headlights.

I sense a definite “I’m right, it’s in the highway code, behold my righteous stance.”

Pitiful.

lizzz
    Free Member

I believe thay “all” do now but a little old lady in her 1993 polo is my target demographic

Hey, now that’s unfair! 😆

bigG
    Free Member

My VW dominator has front fogs that I switch on when the visibility is poor or when I’m bullying some halfwit slow coach out of my lane (aka the overtaking lane)

They do that weird thing of coming on when I indicate at low speed. Since I very rarely go slow it’s not a problem for me but I’d like to know what benefit it’s meant to be.

scaredypants

Oncoming cars with their foglights on stop me from being able to see potholes

(Sorry lizzz – nothing personal. Can I have a Werthers ?)

supertacky
    Free Member

I sense a definite “I’m right, it’s in the highway code, behold my righteous stance.”

awesome!

😈

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘All day Fog Lamps!’ is closed to new replies.