Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • "Algeria are going to smash England 5-0!"
  • Hohum
    Free Member

"Aye, England are rubbish!"

This is what I heard coming out of a 10 year's mouth whilst taking my daughter to her lovely (most of the time) Scottish school this morning.

Friendly banter or racist bigotry?

It is something I always ask myself when England play football and I have to endure the nonsense coming out of most of the locals' mouths.

Maybe I should just get a thicker skin?

Then again I console myself with the fact that the performance of the Scottish team would occupy a nano-second's worth of thinking time of an English person, laugh to myself and then go about my business!

yossarian
    Free Member

if you have chosen to live in Scotland then yes you should.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

+1

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I would have employed an "Is this worth a post on the forum" filter too 🙄

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Looking at some of the teams that qualified, I find it hilarious that Scotland (and Wales) didn't make it in…

guitarhero
    Free Member

You WERE rubbish against USA. Truth hurt does it?
    Out of the mouths of babes etc 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I find it hilarious that Scotland (and Wales) didn't make it in…

In fairness, if Wales/Scotland/Norn Irn/ROI were playing in some of the other confederations, they'd qualify easily. It's qualifying from European groups that's most difficult.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

At least we got as far as playing the USA…

Hohum
    Free Member

yossarian – Member

if you have chosen to live in Scotland then yes you should.

I classify myself as an economic refugee.

soobalias
    Free Member

it was an uninspiring game, i will agree with that
    most england fans expected/wanted to see a thrashing of the USA – not ranked far below england actually.

none of the 'top' teams have shone yet, cept maybe the dutch.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You WERE rubbish against USA

{insert country who should have done better} were rubbish against {insert country they should have beaten}

Story of the World Cup?

mos

They probably will, because we are biz.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is something I always ask myself when England play football and I have to endure the nonsense coming out of most of the locals' mouths.

As a Scotsman In England I have to endure this the other way round from the Englands fans .. a grown man cired in the pub when they drew with the USA. When Croatia knocked them out [Euoros] you would have thought the sun had not risen. Constant refrences to 1966 and the eternal we would have won the world cup but for..ronaldo getting rooney sent off, Beckham getting sent off etc it is never finished with but we were not good enough.
    Learn to live with it or move or take the pi55

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well at least England are capable of getting somewhere in the WC.

Gary_M
    Free Member

"Aye, England are rubbish!"

How is a statement of fact racist?

scaredypants

"Algeria are going to smash England 5-0!"

the correct response is to take up the wager

course, you'd have to bet something recognised as currency, maybe a deep-fried pat of butter or some tennents super 😉

Football a sport for people who spectate but don't play. The more drunk you are the more enjoyable it is.

Scotlands population is a lot less than Englands. They have less of a pool of talent to draw on. Their team isn't as good, which makes sense.

As for Englands chances of winning the world cup? who ever is the best team wins and that's only fair.

On the plus side it gives all the bored people something to talk about, not sure about letting events you have no control over dictate your state of mind.

That said sh1t to do I'm off.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

At least we got as far as playing the USA…

😆

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

You've got wound up about what a 10 yr old said?

If it makes you feel any better, the 10 yr old will never make it as a pundit. I can't see algeria scorng more than 3.

Kit
    Free Member

Just wait until Andy Murray plays at Wimbeldon, then you can adopt your own racist bigotry along with the rest of the STW forum.

DezB
    Free Member

racist bigotry?

WTF?! cos he slagged off a football team??!
    What a bloody stupid suggestion.

elliptic
    Free Member

a grown man cried in the pub when they drew with the USA.

😯

Gazza's got a lot to answer for.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Maybe rather than get a thicker skin you need to lighten up, get a sense of humour, etc.

GaryLake
    Free Member

or racist bigotry?

It's not Racism unless you're a different Race anyway…

ratherbeintobago

The quarter finals? 😛

The big difference is, I think, that mental cringe that resulted from 1978 (when tens of thousands of people paid to see Ally's Army off at Hampden – thought try finding anyone who'll admit to having been there) means that when we do qualify, there's an attitude of 'we'll not get very far, so we may as well enjoy it while it lasts'. As England aren't very good (though in fact they do better than statistics would suggest they should – see Why England Lose), it's perplexing to the Scots mind as to why, every time & despite lots of evidence to the contrary & a huge injury list, you think you've got a cat's chance of winning and are then disappointed to get dumped out by Germany.

Andy

molgrips
    Free Member

Not racist, sporting banter – get over it. Next.

Gary_M
    Free Member

thought try finding anyone who'll admit to having been there

Raises hand, and I'll never forget it.

Hohum
    Free Member

ratherbeintobago – Member

The quarter finals?

Yes, that's normally as far we get and what you would expect a team that is ranked around 8th in the world to come.

Hohum
    Free Member

Kit – Member

Just wait until Andy Murray plays at Wimbeldon, then you can adopt your own racist bigotry along with the rest of the STW forum.

Andy Murray makes me laugh.

I notice how this World Cup he has decided to publicly support the England team rather than make the same mistake he did 4 years ago.

KungFuPanda
    Free Member

I notice how this World Cup he has decided to publicly support the England team rather than make the same mistake he did 4 years ago.

Well I havent forgotten that and Andy "big gob" Murray will always be an enormous spanner. Fact.

Hohum
    Free Member

Even Alec Salmond wished the England team well!

Bet he had to go and wash his mouth out with soap afterwards to remove the bitter taste from his mouth…

Junkyard
    Free Member

I notice how this World Cup he has decided to publicly support the England team rather than make the same mistake he did 4 years ago

this is what happened

"The journalist said to me 'So Andy are you going to be supporting Scotland in the World Cup?', knowing that Scotland hadn't qualified and he started laughing.

"So he asked me who I would be supporting in the World Cup, and I said 'Anyone but England ha-ha' and all of a sudden it's the biggest story ever."

banter quite clearly and just more evidence of the anglo centric nature of reporting no one ever says about the english reporters [who accpets it was a joke and says it is a non story] initial dig do they? [ tongue firmly in cheek to avoid similiar reaction]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So what are people to think/say? Ohh, you are so funny Andy, it has always been in your nature to be so light-hearted and witty – stop it, you are killing me.

Or

Jeebus Christ, here he goes again, that miserable, sour-faced personality-free tennis bloke is again showing what a misery he is – stop it, or I will kill you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends on how much sleep the twins have had and how much calpol you have drunk 😉

No clearly they should ignore it and just keep calling him an English hater 🙄

gonefishin
    Free Member

So what are people to think/say?

Well maybe people could actually engage their brain and think that the press may have taking the comment out of context or is that too much to ask? No, you're right mindlessly swallowing whatever the appears in a newspaper is a far better response.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No clearly they should ignore it and just keep calling him an English hater

I believe he's achieved a consistently higher world ranking than the England team has in recent years and has reached tournament finals 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

As a Scotsman In England I have to endure this the other way round from the Englands fans

You don't sound very Scottish 🙂

The Andy Murray thing was massively overblown and the OP needs to get a grip though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My point being was that he isn't known for his witty nature so when he says something like that, it *can* be easy for people to assume he was being serious.

However, if it was someone like Frankie Boyle, people may consider that he may have been joking.

And besides – many people do believe that he did actually mean it and it was just thinly-veiled as a joke.

Now pass me the Calpol…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And besides – many people do believe that he did actually mean it and it was just thinly-veiled as a joke.

You sound like you need convincing yourself m_f 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

You don't sound very Scottish

I moved here when I was 7 and none of you lot could understand me so I lost the accent.

many people do believe that he did actually mean it and it was just thinly-veiled as a joke

You are right there are many idiots out there

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘"Algeria are going to smash England 5-0!"’ is closed to new replies.