Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alfine gears – which drop outs are best…..
  • MoreCashThanDash

Toying with the idea of going alfine this year, but hear different views regarding which type of drop outs are best suited.

As I understand it, slot/horizontal drop outs look neater but are a pain to take the wheel out to fix punctures/change tyres etc. Vertical/normal drop outs are easier to get the wheel out but usually need you to run a tensioner.

Just after some opinions and experiences – basically issue is whether I should just use my current frame or get a horizontal/SS frame to convert.

Thanks in advance for any help

epicyclo

If you get an external EBB you can use vertical dropouts. Forward Components make one.

There is a limited range of adjustment, but you can get round that with a half link, or simply use +/- 1 tooth on the rear sprocket.

SidewaysTim

I’d say a vertical dropout with either sliders or an EBB is the neatest solution.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sliding

swampi
    Free Member

slot drop outs like on the inbred are the most secure,I have 2 alfine bikes and whilst they fit and work fine on all my drop outs the nine turn washers don’t seem to have massive depth and you have to do them up bloody tight overwise on steep hills the torque has pulled the wheel out twice on me, ever since then I do them up using a bloody big spanner, since you have a normal frame just run it with the alfine tensioner,check it even has the capacity to run a double ring up front

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

i run mine on a slot dropout inbred, don’t use a tug just whack the nuts up tight and haven’t had a problem even with my 97kg weight on the pedals.

my bug bear is having to line the wheel up and reset the brake caliper every time it’s removed, admittedly that isn’t too often but my next frame will have vertical dropouts, either adjustable (kona/salsa) or ebb (niner/singular).

mboy
    Free Member

Same setup, and similar feelings on it as Stu McGroo above.

I’d say for security, and simplicity once setup, then slot dropout is the best way, as it doesn’t require any tensioners or anything. Can be a pain to setup initially though, but once done, it’s all good. No more difficult than setting up a singlespeed though.

Or if you can, a frame with an EBB is a good choice. As long as the gear ratio means you don’t have to have the BB in the extreme forward, or extreme back positions which then messes up your position on the bike (as happened with my GF Rig, though obviously choice of gear ratio will make a difference here).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ebb and vertical dropouts would be my preferred solution

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alfine gears – which drop outs are best…..’ is closed to new replies.