Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)
  • Alcohol Free Beer
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Anyone partake?

I have to admit, I don’t see the point for me personally. The only thing I find refreshing about beer is that even one makes me slightly pissed and the taste is something to get over rather than enjoy.

But… this morning I was listening to a radio ad and the makers were selling the concept almost like vaping for boozers, cut back by swapping a few mid-week beers for alcohol free ones. I couldn’t work out if they were actually trying to sell them, or circumventing advertising laws by sneaking the idea of a few beers into radio ads.

So fake beer drinkers – what gives?

slowoldman

It’s disgusting stuff. I have had a couple of “weak” beers, about 2.8%, which were quite palatable.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I also dont get the point

Its [alcohol] not that nice tasting and the whole point is to get the drunk feeling.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

I suspect it’s a Drink Aware outing, trying to get people to drink less. (I’ve heard the ad you mean, can’t remember if it says at the end who sponsors it.)

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed Becks Blue as a good substitute when fancying the taste and refreshment of a beer without the alcohol.

wallop

Friends of mine who have calved some young’uns tell me Beck’s Blue is the best one.

Selled
    Free Member

Alcohol free weiss beer is where it’s happening. Advertised as isotonic, full of minerals and replaces energy. It tastes ok but don’t switch down to it from standard weiss beer otherwise it tastes like …..

Cougar

Its [alcohol] not that nice tasting and the whole point is to get the drunk feeling.

Have a beer with your mates and then drive home?

There’s some rotten alcohol-free beers on the market, but there’s some quite drinkable ones too.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Some are certainly better than others, however if you’re whole reason for drinking beer is for the booze and you don’t like the taste then yeah I can see why you’d struggle.

My personal preference is Nanny State. Yes you can tell that it’s alcohol free (0.5%) but I rather enjoy the flavour.

Cougar

Alcohol free weiss beer is where it’s happening.

I suppose it can’t taste much worse than the regular stuff.

Solo
    Free Member

I find, usually during a warm summer’s evening, a single, ice-cold, 330ml bottle of Heineken 0.0% lager, to be very refreshing.
    YMMV.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve discovered a couple of post-ride cold beers whilst having a chat before jumping in the car to drive home works well.

One brand now market themselves as isotonic for this type of thing.

Cougar

Friends of mine who have calved some young’uns tell me Beck’s Blue is the best one.

It’s not bad. The best one I’ve found I can’t remember the name of (might be Erdinger?) – I’ll jog my memory in the supermarket later.

EDIT: cross-post, yes, that’s it I think.

km79
    Free Member

Beer is great, alcohol free beer is not from what I have tried. If you don’t want an alcoholic drink there is almost unlimited alternatives without resorting to a fake alcoholic drink.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Have a beer with your mates and then drive home?

I am pleased you think I have mates 😉

Why not just drink something tasty? I dont like the taste of any of it much tbh.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Drink some nice beer then? I really like beer, I don’t actually like being drunk. Ditto coffee and caffeine, I like to wake up a bit with one coffee, I would also like to drink a decaf ll day that actually tasted of coffee.

The BrewDog one is supposed to be quite nice (it’s real beer, just 0.5% rather than having the alcohol/flavour taken out).

Beer is great, alcohol free beer is not from what I have tried. If you don’t want an alcoholic drink there is almost unlimited alternatives without resorting to a fake alcoholic drink.

True, but beer tastes like beer, there’s a lot more to the flavour, aroma, mouthfeel, etc than say a can of coke. Giving it up to avoid alcohol would be like giving up Pizza because you don’t like Pepperoni.

Drac

Vagabond isn’t too bad, I drink beer as I like the taste not to get drunk, except the times I feel like getting drunk. 😆

Cougar

Why not just drink something tasty? I dont like the taste of any of it much tbh.

Your unrefined palette does not concern me, peasant.

Do you eat Quorn / TVP at all? It’s essentially the same argument.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Have a beer with your mates and then drive home

This is the crux.

If I wanted to drink something and drive later if probably drink water, or pop.

Oddly the one thing I discovered when I was a non-drinker (5 years or so) was that without alcohol it’s a bit pointless drinking 3 pints of anything over a few hours, you need need to pee a lot.

slowoldman

0.0% larger,

So the same size then?

sbob
    Free Member

Becks Blue does a very good imitation of a citrusy lager.

Unfortunately lager is fizzy gnat’s piss, so I’ll be imbibing a selection of Tiny Rebel ales all complete with lots of lovely alcohol.

They were a surprise gift from the missus, who is off the booze for the month.
    💡
    I think I may be walking into a trap…

Cougar

This is the crux.

If I wanted to drink something and drive later if probably drink water, or pop.

Depends on the kaliber* of your mates maybe. I don’t move in that sort of circle thankfully, but I can readily see how for some folk peer pressure might be an issue.

(* sorry)

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Erdinger do a half decent one. It’s a bit gassy though. Either Sainsburys or Tesco do a Czech one which is quite swiggable.

I quite like them. Gives me that instant beer relaxation feeling but means I can drive to pick up my teenager from whatever late night gathering she’s at. (Think Uncle Buck).

binners

Mrs Binners has just done an alcohol free month. Once I’d finished winding her up by conspicuously drinking red wine, I came out in sympathy with her and packed in drinking during the week

I still fancied a beer watching the footy so tried a good few

Becks Blue is ok, the erdinger is nice, but the nicest by far is Sainsbury’s Czech pils

Or if you fancy something more ale-like, this

Cougar

Czech pils

I’m not sure I could drink a beer that sounds like the English policeman in Allo Allo asking for the bill.

richardkennerley

Bavaria wit is my favourite, but they’ve stopped selling it in tesco. Used to be £3 for 6 so pretty cheap too.

Get erdinger from time to time, but I prefer the franziskaner one. Nanny state is ok, but defo an acquired taste!

It’s a more satisfying alternative to a glass of water or vimto. Sometimes I don’t want any alcohol effect, like if the little one is poorly and I know we’re in for a bad night or when I’m on call for work.

MSP

Alcohol free beer? Whatever next, they will probably make pop with alcohol in it.

dirkpitt74

Good shout binners – will give them a go. Quite like Necks Blue.

Drac

Oh wait it’s Nanny State not Vagabond. 😳

mrlebowski
    Free Member

There’s some very good alcohol free beers as it happens.

Erdinger.
    St Peters.
    Maiden.
    Schneider Weisse.

Easy enough to get a mixed box from any number of places. Don’t be put off by the boo boys..!

Makes a nice change.

smell_it
    Free Member

If I wanted to drink something and drive later i’d probably drink water, or pop

This ^ or try and employ a different mode of transport. I love the taste of good beers and enjoy the effects of alcohol. I think drinking alcohol free beer could put confusion in my brain that these two wonderful things didn’t always come together. But takes all sorts.

weeksy

Thanks for thread. I love a beer, but don’t care about its alcoholic properties, I’d happily drink 0% all night if it tasted good.
    Will try some of them above.

shermer75
    Free Member

I like the second bit

theotherjonv

Probably get flamed for this, but here goes anyway. If you mix your first (or even, damn you, have a full pint) and add in the alcohol free version then the change is more nuanced.

So for example have a pint of beer and a bottle of Nanny State…. as you drink a bit, top it up and then keep doing so until in the end it’s basically all alcohol free.

Of course it still means having had a pint or 1/2 of real beer which will impair your driving but you won’t be over the limit.

Works nicely with G&T too, just keep adding a fresh tonic when there’s space.

alpin
    Free Member

Big eared biker has it.

Alkoholfreies Weißbier is indeed refreshing and isotonic.

stumpy01

Erdinger or Franzikaner alk frei is pretty nice.

Becks blue or the Cobra one are nice – best when properly chilled.

binners

Other things I’ve sampled over the last month due to Mrs Binners abstinence…..

Once again, from Sainsbury’s….

Put a bit of this in tonic water and it is absolutely indistinguishable from a G&T, without the alcohol

Oh…. I’ve also learned that ALL alcohol free wine is absolutely rank!!! Just don’t even go there!

swamptin
    Free Member

I’m all in favour of Alcohol-free beers. I like going out, but hate having to get taxis or buses home. So I figure have a few “non-beers”, drive home. I only drink alcohol at home anymore really. In order of preference, Erdinger is most likely to be available and taste nice. Pauliner is muck. Nanny State is quite nice, but I’ve only recently discovered that one. Becks is larger, so not to my taste. If only there was a way to make a decent ale, but alcohol free… I’d drink little else. I like the taste of beer, but I dislike being drunk.

jonnyboi

Brewdog nanny state is good, I’m also quite partial to the Bavaria 0% and their shandy 😳

As an aside we are currently trying out the seedlip gin alternative

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, the decent alcohol free beers are actually low-alcohol and brewed that way. The piss poor ones are where normal beer has had the alcohol removed.

Can anyone confirm?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Alcohol Free Beer’ is closed to new replies.