Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Air leaking from TUBELESS valve hole
  • Aus
    Free Member

Doing first set of tubeless – Stans rim + rim strip + Bonty tyres + sealant. Front tyre went on smoothly and no sign of leaks.

Rear is proving toublesome – will hold air up to 15 psi but any higher and it leaks from the valve hole (not the valve itself). Can't see any obvious problems with the rim strip.

Any clues what I'm doing wrong / potential problems?

Ta

carlphillips
    Free Member

did you do the shaky dance with the tire before inflating fully..?
    ive had what you describe but a quick shaky dance and all seals up fine..?

singlespeedstu

Is the rimstrip seated under the beadlock by the valve?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Aus
    Free Member

much shaky dance has been done 😀

the rimstrip looks pretty well seated under the beadlock. Tho prob not quite as well as rest of rim as there's a 'bump' under the valve … seems marginal at best

Aus
    Free Member

and air is definitely escaping from the valve hole rather than the tyre/rim or valve itself

singlespeedstu

Have you drilled the valve hole out?

Procedure
    Enlarge ONLY the inside valve stem hole of your rim cavity! Presta valve stem enlarge to 3/8" or Schrader valve stem (Downhill/Freeride) enlarge to 7/16". De-burr the hole after drilling with a small hand file. The sharp edge will cut and damage the rim strip.

This allows the strip to sit flatter at the buldge.

Aus
    Free Member

fwiw, gone back to the wheel, hand tightened the valve lock nut a tad, pumped up and looks promising – 40psi and no sign of leak. Will revisit in the morning with fingers crossed

allankelly

I've seen air coming out of the valve hole when the leak is somewhere else entirely on the rim strip. The valve hole's the easiest place for it to come out. Perhaps you nicked the strip if you used a lever to get the tyre on? If you've knackered your expensivo Stan's strip, just buy a 20" inner tube. (His sealant is excellent though, I use it).

Everything I know on the subject (and especially the warm bath winter tip!): tubelesswheels.com

Cheers, al.

tazzymtb

I've had this with stans strips. I always do the knurled nut up Very finger tight first and no issues usually after that. I do have the arms of a chimp though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Air leaking from TUBELESS valve hole’ is closed to new replies.