Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Air Ambulance Event
  • paulatmtbleasing
    Free Member

Hi,

If you fall off your bike and knobble yourself in the middle of a hill or mountain you can rely on the air ambulance to come and help you.

It costs £1.8 million a year to run each helicopter and they get no government or lottery funding – it’s all donations.

I’m working with Surrey, Kent and Sussex air ambulance to try and do our bit to raise funds for the service.

We’ve got ambitions to organise an event in September next year that will hopefully attract 2 thousand mountain bikers and their families.

The event will include races and activities for mountain bikers as well as events for their kids and partners to get involved in.

I would welcome your input as to the sort of things you would like to see there that would attract you and your family.

To give you an idea, we’re looking at an XC race, a downhill race and a hill climbing race.

There will probably be some sort of fancy dress or pimp my bike competition and a mini cyclocross track for the kids.

If you have suggestions for venues in the Surrey, Kent and Sussex areas that would be great as well. Bear in mind that there will need to be access etc for 2000+cars and bikes:)

Anyway, I’m putting it out there to see what you’d like to see at the event and what type of peripheral activities you’d like to see.

Best regards

Paul

matt_outandabout

If you fall off your bike and knobble yourself in the middle of a hill or mountain you can rely on the air ambulance to come and help you.

err, not always. There have been three incidents here in the last few weeks where local air ambulance was attending, but could not get casualty as they cannot land on wonky ground, have no winch, cannot fly in strong wind or low visibility, etc. The ‘proper’ parraffin budgie was then called to effect the rescue in tandem with MRT.
    I do not want to knock what the air ambulance people do, but I support my local MRT instead.

paulatmtbleasing
    Free Member

Hi Matt,

I do not want to knock what the air ambulance people do, but I support my local MRT instead.

It’s a team effort, fella:)
    If you’re badly injured the Mountain Rescue Team will get you to a place that the Air Ambulance can come and get you to speed you to hospital.
    Well done on supporting your local mountain rescue team.

Northwind

location means I wouldn’t be there but it’s a bloody good cause, so good on you, hope you can make it a reality (without driving yourselves mental)

paulatmtbleasing
    Free Member

The plan is to hold the first event in Surrey, Kent and Sussex region and then expand them out across the country for other Air Ambulance Charities.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Great idea – really hope it comes to fruition.

To give you an idea, we’re looking at an XC race, a downhill race and a hill climbing race.

Cool – all on the same bike I hope.

I remember the original ‘Ride for a Flight’ charity event at Checkendon following Russ Pinder’s awful accident. I’d promised my workmates I’d ride in my party frock if I raised over a certain amount . . . no laughing please 😆

Russell96

Great idea and should be repeated annually around the country, here’s the N.E Wales one

http://www.borderlandbikechallenge.co.uk/

Ps MD glad you could raise so much

paulatmtbleasing
    Free Member

Anyone have any suggestions for a location in the Surrey, Kent , Sussex area?

Private land would be good so that we don’t need to worry about bumping into walkers etc, although it would be great to get walkers out as well to have a go on a bike and see what all this MTB craic is about:)!

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

It might be worth talking the Gorrick crew as they have a massive amount of experience of running MTB events, so might be able to help out with location etc.

paulatmtbleasing
    Free Member

thats not my name,
    Thanks for the suggestion. One of the trustees is talking to them at the moment.

DavidB
    Free Member

I remember the original ‘Ride for a Flight’ charity event at Checkendon following Russ Pinder’s awful accident. I’d promised my workmates I’d ride in my party frock if I raised over a certain amount . . . no laughing please

I helped organise those and the appeal is still going RUSS Appeal we still hand over many thousands of pounds each year to the AA.

I wish the OP all the best in getting this up and running as it is no mean feat to organise and promote given the large number of competing commercial events.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Air Ambulance Event’ is closed to new replies.