Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • After a Suzuki Jimny or similar
  • astura
    Free Member

Looking to get a cheap 4×4 as a 2nd car, there only cheap at around 2000 for a 2003 plate. Is there any other vehicles which would do a similar job around this year, want the 4×4 function because live in the sticks so could get us out of trouble if bad in the winter but mpg is still reasonable

benji
    Free Member

Diahatsu Terios is another option.

MoreCashThanDash

Fiat Panda – not sure about age/budget. There was another slightly bigger 4×4 Fiat, partnership with Suzuki who called it the SX7(?) but the name escapes me….

Old shape Kia Sportage?

grey

Renault Kangoo Trekka 4×4 1.9dci, 50mpg and you can get two built bikes in the back with the seat down, fine so long as you can put up with the popemobile jibes.

Panda 4x4td is a good option as well.

obelix
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with a Jimny, awesomely capable little 4x4s

CountZero

There are the earlier Suzuki 4×4’s, either the 1.0 or 1.3. More basic, but very moddable. Had the rhino on the rear wheel cover. Should be able to pick one up for peanuts.

astura
    Free Member

What model was the 1.0?

scotroutes

SJ410 and SJ413

PePPeR

SJ, and the Jimny is an all round better vehicle.

How about a suzuki sx4 or the Fiat equivalent, nice hatchback with good fuel economy.

cozz
    Free Member

sj’s will be too old, and too knacked or too modded

jimny is good, bought 3 over the years for my bro

have a look at a shogun pinin – they are cheap, and I’d say prob a better build than jimny’s

Duffer
    Free Member

Jimnys are great little 4x4s by all accounts. Look a bit girlie, but a genuine hardcore off roader.

I’d love to get one, but if i’m brutally honest with myself, what I really want is a 90″ landrover…

hora
    Free Member

Panda 4×4 aint anywhere near 2k.

Why do you need a Jimny? Shit space inside for bikes and compromised on motorways.

Trekka is very rare?!!

orangeboy
    Free Member

If I just need 4×4 for getting about think jimny would be my choice
    I have a defender as but its build quality / comfort / economy/ reliability etc is shocking
    But it can tow a big heavy load and is easy to sork on so I’m stuck it

hora
    Free Member

Rereading the OP a Jimny would be perfect.

benji
    Free Member

have a look at a shogun pinin – they are cheap, and I’d say prob a better build than jimny’s

Have failed a couple of Pinin’s on corrosion in prescribed areas for suspension mountings, the front top mount area seems extremely prone.

bigad40
    Free Member

How “4×4” do you need.
    Jimny’s are cool.
    Nissan Terrano or Ford Maverick SWB.
    Rav4 or Subaru forester have 4wd but no low range gear box etc.

T1000
    Free Member

Suzuki ignis?

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Got a jimny very limited space inside I struggle to get my bike in. Personally I think we should have got a terios for the extra space, but the oh likes the fact the jimny is small and easy to park.

hora
    Free Member

Forester has low/hi.

themightysimmonite
    Free Member

I have a Jimny and love it and like all motors does have pros & cons.
    Pros
    Awesome off road capability. I’m on the rough stuff on a semi regular basis and rarely if ever get stuck. I think its mainly down to how light it is and how it just bounces over stuff. I’m also on standard road tyres so god knows how good it would be with good quality off roaders.
    Cheap to buy.
    Uber reliable (as all Japanese cars seem to be these days). I simply fill it with juice and the occasional oil top up an that’s it.

Cons
    Fuel economy is poor (its basically a brick on wheels). If you only do low mileage its OK but I’d look at an alternative if you are a high mileage driver.
    Tiring to drive on motorways.
    Small fuel tank. on a on long journey you feel like your never out of the forecourt.
    No boot to speak of and no cover so everything is on show. Check you insurance as many don’t cover items stolen unless they are out of sight (as I found to my cost).
    Spares are expensive if bought direct from a Suzuki dealer so best find yourself a local scrappy or garage who can source stuff much cheaper.
    Not much space for rear passengers but 95% of the time I’m flying solo or with one buddy so not much of an issue for me.

Other comments
    I can get two bikes inside (with rear seats folded flat – admittedly I have to take both wheels off and lower the saddles). That said I have a tow bar and prefer to carry bikes that way.
    I also have a roof box where I stick all the wet & dirty gear.

Have no plans to change in the near future as it suits my needs perfectly.

obelix
    Free Member

I have a Jimny and love it and like all motors does have pros & cons.
    Pros
    Awesome off road capability. I’m on the rough stuff on a semi regular basis and rarely if ever get stuck. I think its mainly down to how light it is and how it just bounces over stuff. I’m also on standard road tyres so god knows how good it would be with good quality off roaders.
    Cheap to buy.
    Uber reliable (as all Japanese cars seem to be these days). I simply fill it with juice and the occasional oil top up an that’s it.

Cons
    Fuel economy is poor (its basically a brick on wheels). If you only do low mileage its OK but I’d look at an alternative if you are a high mileage driver.
    Tiring to drive on motorways.
    Small fuel tank. on a on long journey you feel like your never out of the forecourt.
    No boot to speak of and no cover so everything is on show. Check you insurance as many don’t cover items stolen unless they are out of sight (as I found to my cost).
    Spares are expensive if bought direct from a Suzuki dealer so best find yourself a local scrappy or garage who can source stuff much cheaper.
    Not much space for rear passengers but 95% of the time I’m flying solo or with one buddy so not much of an issue for me.

Other comments
    I can get two bikes inside (with rear seats folded flat – admittedly I have to take both wheels off and lower the saddles). That said I have a tow bar and prefer to carry bikes that way.
    I also have a roof box where I stick all the wet & dirty gear.

Have no plans to change in the near future as it suits my needs perfectly.

Good summary. I also have a Jimny, and while there definitely are the cons, it has so much ‘character’ that the pros by far make up for it. And if you like modifying vehicles, the Jimny is an empty canvas…

Here are a few pics of my unmodded Jimny:

And a link to an enthusiasts’ website: www,bigjimny.com

hora
    Free Member

The ironic thing is if it was called Suzuki Sabre (etc) Prices would automatically be 1-1.5k higher..

Duffer
    Free Member

This one should be called the Suzuki Slayer:

bob_summers

This thread makes me feel slightly better for owning a Vitara 😉

mattsccm
    Free Member

Mine is great. Had it from new in 04 and been dead reliable. Commuting mpg (18 miles at 40 to 50 then 3 at stop start ) is about 37mpg. Its 4wd system is lie a series Landy. rear 2 drive or 4wd with transfer box locked. High or low 4wd. Great in snow.
    Can’t see a motorway issue but then I loath and despise those who go over the limit. Took ours camping to northern Scotland with a roof box 2 up. Plenty of room. I just use a normal rack on the spare wheel but run the top straps to the roof rails if the load is heavy.
    Doubt you will find limits of 4wd with a tidy one as you will want to keep it that way. What I like is the fact that it has a proper 4wd system unlike many small 4wd that don’t even have a low box.
    Parts no worse than any other Jap car although there are plenty of bits from independents , especially anything that might aid its off road capability.
    Some owners, like me love the original tyres, some hate them.
    Avoid anything that has towed a caravan! Only 1600kg towing I think.
    Lastly avoid the tarts versions with poncy wheels etc. Be a man!

astura
    Free Member

Brilliant, can’t wait to get one now. Should b getting one in next couple of weeks

CountZero

I love the photo of the Jimny in the puddle lake with the guy standing on the roof! 😆

Duffer
    Free Member

A bit of a buyers guide here if you’re interested.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Honda HRV

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘After a Suzuki Jimny or similar’ is closed to new replies.