Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Aerial cycle ways for London
  • organic355
    Free Member
    rogerthecat
    Free Member

Why not get the traffic off the roads instead – cheaper and more beneficial?
    Dedicated cycle/pedestrian streets, curfews for vans & trucks that need to deliver – eg no commercial vehicles between 0800-1000 and then 1600 – 1800.
    Deliveries only after 1900.
    No HGVs in the centre, build transfer stations where goods can be decanted into smaller vehicles.
    There will be exceptions where construction materials are required in the city but those will be far fewer than retail deliveries etc.
    Much bigger thinking needed and we need to remove the dependency on the cars in the urban environment.
    Heaven forbid, it may need an integrated transport policy – John Prescott to the forum please:
    http://www.lgcplus.com/prescott-integrated-transport-policy-should-go-internatl/1499081.article

DezB
    Free Member

Brilliant idea (apart from the uphil ramps 🙂 ). Might move to London if it happens..

aP
    Free Member

The on/off ramps will be immense, with not many able to ride up them.
    Expensive too – at nearly £31,000 per metre run.
    I’m also slightly confused as apparently its a concept idea by Exterior Architects but the picture credit reads Foster + Partners?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

About as likely to happen as Boris Island. And think of breathing in those fumes rising from the road!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Martin is working with architects Foster and Partners on the project and he says Mayor Boris Johnson is supportive, although no funds have been allocated.

consider yourself unconfused.

kimbers

nice idea but paying to use it for each cycle ride
    starts to make cycling the not so cheap option

Im reading 2000AD low life at the moment………. I think ill cycle down at the bottom of the sprawl with all the other scumbags

for me it would be better to ban all cars in the centre and only have electric taxis and buses

khani
    Free Member

If it happens, ill bend over and kiss my own arse..
    There’s more chance of callmeDave releasing a photo of him blowing off one of his lizard overlord masters…

organic355
    Free Member

Brilliant idea (apart from the uphil ramps )

They need Pomma tows or T-bats like in the ski resports.

aP
    Free Member

Hull-Liverpool railway would be a much better use of public infrastructure monies IMO.

clubber
    Free Member

It isn’t going to happen. This is just another ‘solution’ to how to get those nasty cyclists who are taking up my space on the road off it so that I can drive my car there.

As it says in the article, better provision on the roads themselves is the solution.

soobalias
    Free Member

typical bloody trail centre, wide singletrack, smooth singletrack, busy with loads of folk.

the descents look ‘really’ technical.

I will stick to my OS map and the real mountains ta.

warton
    Free Member

pie in the sky.

rogerthecats suggestions are sensible, cheaper, and benefit more people than just cyclists.

thepurist

Brilliant idea (apart from the uphil ramps ).

What if they installed conveyor belts on the uphill ramps?

CountZero

There was a brilliant programme on Beeb 4 the other night, about building schemes that were proposed, but never got built, and there were several that used elevated road systems to get the cars away from pedestrians.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

aP – Member

Hull-Liverpool railway would be a much better use of public infrastructure monies IMO.

The Wasteland Express – from somewhere you don;t want to be to somewhere you don’t want to go in under 3 hours. I can see the marketing campaign now! 😉 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Cycling is booming in London. So much so that at busy times cyclists account for a quarter of all rush hour traffic in central London.

If that keeps up, there won’t be a problem. There’ll just be cycleways all over London, with a few cars on them. They’ll have to restrict cars and lorries for safety reasons, job’s a goodun.

The rest of the article’s interesting though, about those other infrastructure projects.

DezB
    Free Member

A more likely scenario?

kimbers

CountZero – Member
    There was a brilliant programme on Beeb 4 the other night, about building schemes that were proposed, but never got built, and there were several that used elevated road systems to get the cars away from pedestrians.

I thought they were daft!, they were infact running above houses
    and as someone who live near the elevated part of the M4 I can assure you its not that nice (also helps disperse pollutants?

CountZero

I thought they were daft!, they were infact running above houses
    and as someone who live near the elevated part of the M4 I can assure you its not that nice (also helps disperse pollutants?

Oh yeah, completely mad, but at least the designers were trying to think about the issues of car ownership, and vehicular access to cities, and that at a time when private car ownership was very much lower than now, so they were pretty prescient.
    Loved the Victorian structures, a bugger keeping the pigeons off all those decorative bits, though. 😀
    And having driven over the M4 elevated on many occasions, I feel your pain.
    Still, nice views of Wembly stadium, and the Audi West showroom. 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Aerial cycle ways for London’ is closed to new replies.