Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 182 total)
  • Advice please – looks like I've been scammed
  • Denis99
    Free Member

Yep, the seller doesn't want to help, which probably means its fraud, but the poloice will soon find out.

The seller does seem a little dull, and doesn't know (or want) what to do.

So I've emailed him ('cos he won't phone etc) telling him what to do.

He hasn't replied………

scaredypants

Denis – am I being thick? Nationwide has said the money isn't in the account ?

Surely then bank error, not fraud on the seller's part. I can't imagine how he can help

(unless NW mean money has gone in & come out again ?)

Denis99
    Free Member

Nationwide have told me that they are aware of the transaction and it is not in their holding account (won't actually confirm that it has been transferred, but it is not in the holding / query account, and hasn't been returned to me).

Seller says its not in his account.

He could be lying or there could be a fault in the Nationwide transfer to his account.

Denis99
    Free Member

He could do this..

Go to his Nationwide branch and make them investigate the transaction – he has all the information from me and RBS to ensure this can happen.

God knows, the Nationwide could even ring me to discuss.

IA

He could also send you copies of bank statements to show he's not received the money (wouldn't prove it though, unless you're at teh bank with him when he asks for them, as they could be tampered with otherwise). Sounds like a scam if they won't do this…

scaredypants

could you take NW to small claims ?

presumably they'd either refund or have to explain what went where

Denis99
    Free Member

He could do as you've suggested, and I would have to be with him etc.

But even so, he would have to initiate the investigation – or the police involvement is the only way to progress.

It seems incredible that I can't get the 2 banks to sort this out to confirm its not a bank error.

scotia
    Free Member

Any result from the police?

Denis99
    Free Member

Nothing yet – the officer dealing with it is on nights.

I'll be speaking to him sometime tomorrow.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What I don't understand is why TF Nationwide can't confirm that YOUR money has been paid into his account or not.

Stick with the police, let them chase it up. That's what they're there for. Have patience mate, you'll get your money back. Might take time, but you'll get it back. You've got all the evidence of an agreement betwen yourself and the seller, that's a legally binding contract, so by law you get either the lens or your money back. At this stage, you're entitled to your money back I'd say.

As for the 'going round his house with a few mates', a word of caution. I've known of someone trying that, and the scumbag 'phoning his mates who turned up in a car, with sawn-off shotguns. Probably an extreme case, but it's always best left to the Professionals.

incognito
    Free Member

blimey what a bummer, I've been shafted by someone on here for £75. DOES ANYBODY KNOW BEN NORLEY? I haven't forgotten Ben if you've crept back on here!!! The scrote moved out of his rented flat so the small claims papers never got served. £75 wasn't worth a trip up north for me.

I hope this ends nicely for you and this particular scrote gets what he deserves.

Denis99
    Free Member

Well there has been a development.

I re emailed him again……

Just stated some facts

Confirmed bank transfer from my bank to his….

Gave police investigation report number to him
    Gave investigating officers name and badge number
    Gave police telephone number

He responded within one hour saying that he's had enough of this, and my harassment .

He said that he has put a cheque in the post today for the "missing" £975 and this will end the matter.

~~

Sits back and waits for cheque, and wait till it clears before I look for a replacement lens.

Might even buy a bottle of Newcastle Brown to celebrate the return of my money.

cranberry
    Free Member

That seems remarkably generous of him 🙂 I hope you don't feel too beastly about all the harassment that you have given him.

( I'd hold off the beer though until you i) have the cheque ii) cash the cheque and the money clears into your account ).

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

So, it was theft/fraud and he's trying to get out of being arrested. I can only assume that he thinks this will get him off the hook. I wouldn't be surprised if the police still follow this up. Would he have returned the money if the police weren't involved? Where's the lens? Suspect it never existed. He still (allegedly) committed a crime. Un committing a crime after you've been found out doesn't work!

I'd be relieved, but still suspicious until the cheque clears. Hope it does work out ok, but I'd still want the tosser to be nicked for it

alanl
    Free Member

If he has sent you a cheque, then he has clearly received your money(how many people can pay out nearly a grand to stop 'hassle'). In that case, I'd carry on with the Police involvement, as it is still fraud, whether he pays you back or not.
    Paying the money back will be taken into consideration if it gets to Court, but the Offence has still been committed.
    Alan.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wowsers, how lame!

Keep up the investigation for sure.

Aidy
    Free Member

Don't forget the normal cheque scams, and that they can bounce even after they've cleared. Make sure it all looks good, and keep a photo/scan for evidence.

I'd've insisted upon return of funds via BT – the same way they were sent.

scotia
    Free Member

Denis, i wouldnt accept a cheque from this guy after all of this – Can you not just go meet him and get the cash?

Arrange to meet with the police at the same time. Then you really can sit back & relax…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

A meeting isn't going to work, obviously.

Maybe reply to him and state that you'll expect the cheque within 5 days and that will be the end of the matter.

Scumbag was sitting on the cash hoping you would just go away, what an ass. Poo on his doorstep.

Andy

Scumbag was sitting on the cash hoping you would just go away

Yup and its still theft. Would press the Police to follow this up, even after you have your money.

jhw
    Free Member

Yep, you should chase him on this.

Denis99
    Free Member

I've told the police about the cheque in the post, but am still going ahead with the police action(s).

Didn't have much of a choice about the payment method – he surprised me really – just sent me an email as a statement of what he was prepared to do.

In the end I'll accept the cheque and hope it doesn't bounce or have any other complications.

Sounds sad, but I'll be glad to have my money back – its just a relief to (hopefully) get the money back and …….relax.

I'll keep the bottle of Newcastle Brown in the fridge for the moment 🙂

Aidy
    Free Member

Call me cynical, but I find it pretty suspicious that he's sending you a cheque to settle things, rather than the lens you paid for.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I also got scammed by a seller on here for £80, a well known seller as there's probably the largest ever thread about it all.

Anyways, I was promised that the money would be returned by cheque on a regular basis. The post office really appeared to be very careless with all the post he was "sending".

So, press ahead, ask your bank how long it takes for a cheque to clear completely and for the funds to not be recalled / bounced (from memory it's actually quite a long time, something into the months). Until this period is up, keep on with the police investigation, and keep records of all calls / emails, including the times and dates etc and pass them on to the cops on a regular basis.

My bet is that the following will unfold:
    – the post office have lost the cheque;
    – this chap not prepared to send another before the post office investigation time is up (about 28 days or something)
    – nothing will ever be sent so it can be tracked
    – the cheque never existed in the first place

Denis99
    Free Member

I'll just be glad that the saga is (hopefully) over.

Once this is over, I'll be posting on most of the UK camera forums to warn others. I have been looking to see if he has been trying to sell the same lens on different forums – but haven't seen it yet.

A friend of mine has emailed him to enquire if the lens is still for sale etc – he hasn't replied to date.

julianwilson
    Free Member

If he's got the money then what's wrong with a bank transfer your way again? When it's in your account, it's in for good then, non?

Denis99
    Free Member

If the cheque is suspect, then the police will prosecute.

I contacted the bank – I can pay a fee to ensure that the funds are available in his account to cover the £975 , about £15 I think.

Its not over yet, but the police detail has spurred him into action – so it must be worrying him ?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheque clearing has changed, after 6 days or so it can't be taken off you. Allegedly.

OFT info here

Denis99
    Free Member

thanks for the link

pk-ripper
    Free Member

it's spurred him into action, but don't call them off until it's fully resolved and the cash is safely and fully returned to you.

Then leave the police on him anyway for clearly being a tool.

hora
    Free Member

Keep all communication and IF the cheque arrives and it is NOT in his name inform him that you are handing the cheque, envelope and communication to the officer investigating. It could mean he has hold of a stolen chq book. If it has been stolen the chq would bounce due to the owner cancelling the book.

Keep at it. There is not a chance in hell that I'd pay someone almost a grand to 'make them go away' if I'd never received the payment. Not a chance- or anyone else who is sane. Hes using the 'harrasement' to hope you feel bad and 'believe him'.

Then leave the police on him anyway for clearly being a tool

Totally agree. He'll have form on this and even if he isn't already known to the Police, this transaction will hopefully start his record proper.

I still think hes a teenager living at home, riding his bmx and laughing at 'mugs'. He wouldn't be the first (Ebay had one of these).

Denis99
    Free Member

ummm… takes Newcastle Brown out of fridge for the moment, looking good on the dining room table.

I do hope I can open it soon….

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmm, so he's prepared to refund you the money. Here's a thought, why not send the lens instead?
    He's talking pish if you ask me.
    Oh and treat yourself to a nice ale, Innes & Gunn for example.

incognito
    Free Member

so it sounds like he's had your money all along, there's a shock! Lets hope the scrote gets a record for his little scam.

I wonder how many others have been done like this.

tron
    Free Member

TBH it's utterly amazing more of this doesn't go on. Fairly decent chunks of money change hands every day on this forum. It's astonishing that there aren't more people taking the mickey. That said, I've had a couple and that's my fill.

Dark-Side

It sounds to me like he used it as a holiday loan until pay day, on the assumption most people got paid on Friday / Tuesday.

Denis99
    Free Member

Cheque has arrived by recorded delivery this morning.

Photo taken of the cheque and will take to my bank tomorrow morning.

~~

Bottle of Newcastle Brown moves back into fridge in readiness…..

~~

If its genuine, then I suppose it won't be until Wednesday – Friday next week until it clears.

nuke

Cheque has arrived by recorded delivery this morning.

Great news. Fingers crossed it clears.

TBH I was expecting it to be more like pk-ripper described…"the post office have lost the cheque; this chap not prepared to send another before the post office investigation time is up…etc"

crashdummy
    Free Member

Good luck – hope you get your cash back – but I also hope this doesn't mean the scumbag will get away with it.

Isn't it odd that he decided to send you money instead of the lens? If he is genuine he now has the problem of selling the lens again.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘Advice please – looks like I've been scammed’ is closed to new replies.