Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Advice on buying used LPG car?
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello,

Looking for a 'new' car, new to me anyway, and think I've found one.

It's around £500 over my budget, could just about stretch to it, but it runs on LGP which with my miles should save around £800 a year on fuel. Maths works.

However, would you buy a used LPG converted car? Are there any particular problems I should look out for?

It was converted by Autogas 2000, a reputable fitter and then owned and run by a local council. However, it is 7 years old and has 83,000 on the clock. Conversion was done when the vehicle was new.

Assuming it has the LPGA installer's certicate are there any other questions I should ask?

Not really sure where to start with this, I know very little. Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Andy H

djglover
    Free Member

Me <—————–A barge pole——————> LPG converted car

andrewh
    Free Member

One out of one, that would appear to be a unanimous 'no'.

Found a normal petrol one in budget. Will just have to slow down a bit to save the fuel…

Ewan
    Free Member

Can't take on the Chunnel IIRC. Government could change the tax incentive.

pault41
    Free Member

Whats your problem , have run LPG Landrovers for last 6 years no problem .

currently run V8 Discovery on LPG , cheaper to run than a TD5 diesel.
    if you don intend goin in chunnel no prob,gas availableity go, go to LPGA site .cost avr 55p litre

.carries 5 bikes plus canoes, no access probs , excellent people carrier ,can't ask anymore of my Disco.

steveh

The only issue can come if you have engine troubles. Garage says it lpg problem, lpg garage says its a petrol bit problem.

Have you got a decent place locally for servicing etc?

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

The LPG engines run hotter and you cannot park in some car parks as if the car leaked fuel you could have an explosive gas cloud

Shakey
    Free Member

Another LPG Discovery here and no problems at 120000 miles, yes it runs hotter but it won't be a problem until the manifold cracks completely and then it will be replaced.

Also, never had a problem with parking it in any car park although the channel tunnel issue has proved to be an irritation!

5thElefant
    Free Member

I've got an LPG 4×4. No problems at all, but I've only done 20k after the conversion.

I'd want a service history for the LPG system for starters.

Check the induction manifold is metal, or has a pressure release valve. Otherwise a splutter and backfire into the induction system will lift your bonnet.

How big is the gas tank? They can only be filled to 80%. Make sure the actual range isn't going to be a pain in the arse. Obviously you can run on petrol if you run out, but that defeats the purpose.

Check it runs on petrol! If you let the fuel tank run dry the fuel pump will burn out. While you can just run on gas cold starting can be a problem (as is not finding a gas station).

andrewh
    Free Member

Looking a bit more positive now, thanks guys.
    Tunnel shouldn't be an issue, no intention of trying to use it. In the unlikely event I qualify to race world cups this season I can use the ferry. Also, I never use multi-storeys so unlikely to be a parking issue, but worth knowing just in case.
    It runs on petrol and LPG. No probs getting LPG where I live but I travel to north Scotland and Snowdonia regularly and it's not always easy to get there.

5thElephant, thanks for advice about the manifold and the valve. Also, I didn't know about them running hotter, seems to be a consensus about that. Think it be worth fitting bigger fans for the radiator? Or would the radiator have ben upgraded as part of the installation?

Cheers
    Andy

alexathome
    Free Member

I bought a used C-class once, and had it converted, it was fine! I did about 60k in the car before selling it, all i did was change the tyres and the oil once or twice (oil doesn't need changing so much with LPG and neither dot the plugs) it had 130k on the clock when i sold it and was still going fine then.

I wouldn't touch one that had been done at home thou, i've heard of a few horror stories, but given the history of the one your after it sounds like a goer, especially if petrol go's up!

thefettler
    Free Member

Check if the tank need to be inspected after 10y, they sometimes have to take it out to test.
    I've run LPG for 16y with on probs,as long as it,'s less than half the price of petrol your laughing

marcus
    Free Member

I would be very cautious. I ran an LGP converted mondeo (sp?) for a couple oy yeras. That was converted from new by a powershift approved installer – funded to the tune of about 1k by the government, About 60k miles later the engine was shagged – but out valves and a head problem from memory. In the meantime the 'approved' installer had gone AWOL owing a lot of people money.

After a bit of digging around it turned out the construction of the engine in the ford was completely unsuitable for the hotter running temperatures.

Having said that I wouldnt have any problems running a coverted landrover V8 as it has well proven reliability, providing fitted well.

swamp_boy

I ran a converted V8 range rover, put about 60,000 miles on it with no gas related problems, though it is important to run it on petrol now and again or at least keep some in the tank. More and more filling stations are doing LPG so finding it shouldn't be a big problem.

They can take time to fill and you will never get the tank up to its nominal capacity though.

andrewh
    Free Member

Interesting Fettler, is that a compulsary MOT-type test or a manufacture-recomends-you-check-it-to-cover-themselves type of test? Not come accross that one before.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Not part of the MOT. I don't believe they run hotter, never heard that before and gas has a lower calorific value than petrol hence the drop in power, so I can't figure out how the could runner hotter. But… they are harder on valves.

thefettler
    Free Member

andrewh
    I'm in OZ,
    and they check tanks here every 10yrs,
    Yes lpg's harder on valves plus you have to run some petrol if you don't have the head mod(valves)
    but in the end if you do the mileage ,it's cheaper

Makore
    Free Member

Reputable fitter and certificate to start. Autogas 2000 do have a very good reputation. The car should have hardened valve seats (there are ways around this) – a good fitter will know which engines are better suited. Then it's just like buying any used car – sevice history (including LPG system service) etc and make an informed decision. Give Autogas a ring and ask there opinion or if they can give the gas side of the car a look over. A well converted and maintained LPG car is no more a risk than petrol only. The engine doesn't really run hotter – the cooling system still works the same – the fuel is harder on the ignition system, but servicing will prevent ignition related problems.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Advice on buying used LPG car?’ is closed to new replies.