Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Advice needed – reading tablets – Kindle/Nook etc
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I’m travelling around California for a couple of weeks at the moment, and want to pick up a good ebook type thing.

I want it for books primarily, but extras like being able to read magazine and newspaper subscriptions would be great.

What’s the best around at the moment?

Been looking at Kindle, Kindle Fire, Barnes & Noble Nook

Don’t want an iPad before anyone suggests it, but would consider a similar tablet if priced around same as the e book readers (up to $300 max).

Thanks!!

🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

bump for the working week 🙂

Pieface

Kindle seems to be the most sorted

project
    Free Member

wh smith also sell their own brand.

Cletus

I have a Kindle 3G with keyboard and it is excellent. Part of me would be tempted to get a Kindle Fire for the better surfing experience (surfing on my Kindle is a last resort) plus access to travel websites etc. If I could be certain of being able charge it regularly then I woulg get the Fire. If not then a 3G e-ink model.

5lab

i’d not get a kindle fire if your primary use is reading text – the screen\battery life will be poor for the job compared to an e-ink reader.

kindle should be registerable to either a UK or US Amazon account, giving you what you want

jamiec360
    Free Member

Got a fire for friend’s birthday, works fine with UK accounts, really good value at $200 so good in fact getting one this week for Father in Law’s crimbo. The nook gets good reviews and you can go into most B&N and pick one up there, but like 5lab said if it’s just for text get the regular kindle touch if you can, much better value than the basic one here in the UK kindle infrastructure seems better.

But best of all just get an iPad you know that’s what you really want….

MartynS

I’ve got a 3g kindle and its ace. It’ll do everything you wanted above. However as a web browsing tool its rubbish so you’ll need an ipad for that!

mogrim

Kindle is wonderful for reading, great on the eyes and excellent battery life, but pretty crap for anything beyond checking Gmail when it comes to web access.

If you’ve got a wifi capable phone for web (or don’t care about it), get the Kindle, if not, get a tablet.

toby1

WH Smith do kobo – it’s not their own brand, it’s owned by a Japanese giant and will soon be a lot more popular in the UK.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed – reading tablets – Kindle/Nook etc’ is closed to new replies.