Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Advice for if you think you've been 'done'
  • trickpsyclist
    Free Member

Posted here several weeks ago looking for forks. Helpful response from someone who offered to sell forks for agreed price. After some initial hiccups with Paypal, payment was sent (after flurry of emails between seller and myself).
    There was assurance that confirmation of receipt of payment would be sent, along with likely timescale of delivery.

Since payment sent via Paypal, complete ‘silence’ from seller.
    The best case scenario is that they are on leave or else simply out of touch with email, but i am concerned that the longer the lack of response, the more likely that i have been done.

Oddly, Paypal ‘name’ different from his claimed name in emails he sent.

Any advice about how to proceed, including how much ‘grace’ to give when waiting for goods or even response.

Cheers

craigxxl
    Free Member

PayPal gift with someone you don’t know?

drofluf
    Free Member

How long’s this ‘silence’ been? How much longer than the agreed timescale?

Assuming you didn’t use PayPal gift enter a dispute.

You didn’t use gift….

superstu
    Free Member

As above was this a gift? Assuming not then give a deadline and thn enter a dispute

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is there a time limit for disputes?

psling
    Free Member

Time limit may not be quite as long as the OP suggests above judging by his/her posting history.
    Assuming it is only one week and not the “several weeks” mentioned above and given that it has been a bank holiday week during the holiday season you may want to give just a little bit longer.
    Having said that, if they are on holiday or whatever they could have let you know.

mcnultycop

Dispute first. If they then answer communications keep the dispute open until the goods arrive.

trickpsyclist
    Free Member

Gift, i’ m afraid.

Jamie
    Free Member

Then you’re ****ed.

Sorry, but there it is.

FWIW, the forum owners do try and warn users. For example, scroll down to the bottom of your WTD thread.

mashiehood
    Free Member

oh god, do people never learn! Its like chucking cash out of the window of a car doing 80 on a motorway! You will never get it back!

murf
    Free Member

In that case you might well not see either the forks or your money 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

You don’t need to be afraid, your mistake sadly, and you now have zero recourse. Hard luck. Different names should’ve been a clue.

tymbian
    Free Member

Name and Shame or ask politely if anyone on here knows the seller…

Speshpaul

From another Forum
    “Please note, our PayPal policy is very strict. It is there to protect all members both sellers and buyers. No one should ever request payment for any item to be sent as a gift, either publicly or via PM. If you send payment as a gift, that is your choice but in doing so you waive all protection that PayPal offers. You will not be able to open a dispute and you wont get your money back if things go wrong. A seller should never ask for payment to be sent as a gift, if they do, report the post or Private Message to the staff here and the sellers advert will be removed and their account put under a yellow card for 2 weeks. All additional fees and costs, PayPal fees, postage, packing and anything else, must be stated clearly in the advert. There must be no hidden costs or requests for additional payments. Same penalty applies”

cloudnine
    Free Member

Paypal gift you say..

GIFSoup

mikey3
    Free Member

I,m guessing that gif is just what he needs at the present time cloudnine,well done you 😕

trickpsyclist
    Free Member

Is there no prospect of identifying individual through their electronic profile, not least their own Paypal account? What about recourse to the Law?

It’s deception.

scotroutes

So is “gifting” someone money via paypal in order to avoid fees when it is, in fact, for payment of goods.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Post up his name and any details you have.. you’d be surprised how the stw massive may help track the fraudster down

ste_t
    Free Member

Which one of the helpful souls was it?

Jamie
    Free Member

Is there no prospect of identifying individual through their electronic profile, not least their own Paypal account? What about recourse to the Law?

It’s deception.

Depends on how much info they gave. If they were smart you have very little chance of tracking them down. The police won’t give a shit, mainly due to lack of resources for e-crime, but also as you didn’t make any effort to safeguard yourself.

You will probably have to take this one on the chin.

re: Speshpaul’s post.

I think PP Gift can be used from time to time. There are several members on here I would have no qualms using it for, and have recently sold myself via that method. Using it with randoms, tho…..well. The weird thing is, it’s not as if the buyer benefits in anyway from using it.

kimbers

PayPal names often don’t match sellers, mums, mates, wife’s account etc. (Though I find that odd)

Definitely name them, one of us may know them or we could get out the pitchforks. *

* see how I didn’t lambasted you as an idiot for pp gifting I’m sure you don’t need someone else to remind you **

** sorry

toppers3933
    Free Member

dooge
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that, I have used Paypal gift for small things but generally anything more than £10 and its normal payment. Paying a little more to cover some charges is a slightly less expensive way to avoid getting done.

Unfortunately I doubt theres a comeback, sorry buddy.

trickpsyclist
    Free Member

Claims ti be from Inverness.

Email address : ‘whyterthanwhite@tiscali.co.uk’

Paypal name: Tim Lott

Email address that Paypal have is ‘mrtimlott@tiscali.co.uk’

There was someone from this forum with that user name last active approx 4 years ago.

Forks were for my son, for his birthday, and he had been keen to proceed. Pressure of time led to hasty action, i confess.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Whats his posting history? If hes ever bought something off here then someone will have his address.

All you’ll then need is a set of bombers to sort him out. Which coincidently I have going cheap. Lets say £150 PP gift to e.mail in profile…

edit…just saw the son’s birthday bit. not cool.

Jamie
    Free Member

If it is the user, whyterthanwhite, they seem like a charmer…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wtdali-faye

…also, oldgit may have dealt with him back in 2010.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-nicolai-argon-singlespeed

Edit:

Since payment sent via Paypal, complete ‘silence’ from seller.

Should probably ask, how long has it been from payment?

cloudnine
    Free Member

stw username? any idea if he’s on pinkbike?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Might have bought this from Captain_Sponge

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-litespeed-pisgah

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but also as you didn’t make any effort to safeguard yourself.

Ahhhh, the old “she was asking for it” defense.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

whyterthanwhite – Member

go pook yourself in the ass.

He’s either Hora or Binners

user-removed
    Free Member

Tinas – bit of a tasteless comparison. He hasn’t been raped, he’s been ripped off. Hardly comparable.

That said, it’s no secret that PP gift is a daft way to pay for goods from strangers. If you use it, you run the gauntlet / roll the dice… Don’t mean to rub it in but as has been pointed out, there’s a large warning on the buy / sell forums for a good reason.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

user-removed – Member
    Tinas – bit of a tasteless comparison. He hasn’t been raped, he’s been ripped off. Hardly comparable.

+1
    Would you leave an envelope full of cash on a park bench for somebody you had never met?

and to the OP, advice? Learn from your mistake, hope that you can track down this person? If not you have been scammed and the cash wont be coming back.

nickdavies

You could try contacting him via his registered email with STW:

bummingspammerssince69@yahoo.com 😕

He has signed off a couple of posts on here as Tim though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

tasteless

Blaming victim – acceptable

Pointing out hypocracy – tasteless?

Gotcha

user-removed
    Free Member

Blaming daftness – acceptable. Pointing out spelling errors – less so. So I won’t. Not at all.

trickpsyclist
    Free Member

Update – seller has been in contact. Some issue with fork has prevented the sale proceeding. But he has reassured me that the money will be reimbursed.
    I have also asked moderators to close thread.
    Thanks

Jamie
    Free Member

I’d probably wait till I had the money in my account till I got too carried away.

Hopefully you do, tho, and realise you have successfully dodged a bullet.

chakaping
    Free Member

Scammers will often tell you they’re going to pay the money back to buy time, so don’t count your chickens mate.

Escalate now if you have any means to, give him a deadline of a few hours before you contact the police?

plyphon
    Free Member

I’m gonna be a real **** now and rub some top draw Himalayan mountain salt into that freshly sliced wound:

In this instance, for the buyer to receive £180 you would of had to of sent £186.54

Six pounds fifty four, or the cost a pint and a packet of nobbys, could of cost you £180.

Sorry man – I’m mainly posting this to hopefully give some perspective on the matter to others who may consider using Gift in the future.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Advice for if you think you've been 'done'’ is closed to new replies.