Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Adding a stealth-routing hole – good idea?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

If there’s a frame that is initially released without a stealth ‘hole’ (stop sniggering at the back) but then later in the year adds one, do you think it’s safe to add one in the same approximate position (a la Litespeed)?

Asking for – erm – a friend.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’ve done it one 2 bikes and I’ve not died yet.

I guess it depends if you’re worried about warranty or not.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I guess it depends if you’re worried about warranty or not.

My – erm – friend is contemplating it on second hand frame, so out of warranty.

So no – he’s more concerned about dying horribly in a freak broken seat tube incident.

Northwind

I’d ask the company tbh- I did it on my Hemlock, Cy did some engineering sorcery and went basically “It’s probably fine. Do it as close to the BB as you can, make the whole as small and even as you can, and don’t come running to me if you die”. Worked out fine.

(If I was doing it again, I’d do it offset to one side though- I centred it and it was a pain in the arse to drill and tidy. You want an angled hole really, or oval, because the hose doesn’t go through at right angles.)

Rubber_Buccaneer

Did it on a cheap carbon frame with no problems for the few months I continued to use it. I cut a slot by drilling two holes close together and made sure it was filed smooth.

If it is going to worry you just go non stealth, I have a more ‘it will be fine’ attitude to it.

jamesfts
    Free Member

That’s how I did my Enduro, spotted some of the team bikes were like that so asked one of the mechanics the best way to do it.

My latest one I’ve copied how they’re done on their other similar frames and gone in through the head tube. Possibly more chance of death… maybe. I’ll let you know!

chrismac

I guess alot depends on how you ride.

Will it weaken the frame, almost certainly.

Do you ride the bike hard enough for that weakness to be an issue to the point it causes it to fail? Only you know that but I suspect short of crashing most of us dont put enough force and stress into the frame to cause it to fail even if the hole has weakened the frame.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’d ask the company tbh

Yeah – probably best thing to do!

Will it weaken the frame, almost certainly.

I figured it would, but then all frames have small blow holes / bottle bosses etc., so it’s more gauging how much it will weaken it. I know Litespeed advised on areas to route a stealth house on their older frames, in relation to heat treated and butted areas.

I suspect short of crashing most of us dont put enough force and stress into the frame to cause it to fail even if the hole has weakened the frame.

Pretty much my thinking. 🙂

jam-bo

I did it to my bandit. Same place as the later models.

A slot is better for routing than a hole. Drill two small pilots, then make them larger. 6mm from memory and then file the gap in between.

coatesy
    Free Member

Not wanting to pee on the bonfire, but we had a decent quality commuter bike in the workshop, only a couple of years old, with a crack right the way round the seat-tube from one side of the (manufacturer drilled) hole for the mudguard eyelet to the other. Not saying it’ll happen every time, just to be aware that it’s a possibility.

Saccades
    Free Member

😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

What about doing this on a steel frame, from a rust point of view? I know frames aren’t watertight, but being so close to the filth…?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I think it was Liteville , not Litespeed

mildbore

Drill a small hole under the bb to let out all the water that’ll flood in too

sam_underhill

I think Turner gave it the time up on the burner. I’ve seen a few pictures, looks tidy.
    KS lev is so good though, I probably wouldn’t bother with a stealth.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I asked Brant,he said it’s built like a tank but don’t quote me on it.So I drilled my Codeine whilst it was still in the wrapper.
    I did’nt die.
    The person I sold it to did’nt die (probably,but I’ve not seen him lately).
    YMMV

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I think it was Liteville , not Litespeed

Yes – you’re right. My mistake. 🙂

The person I sold it to did’nt die (probably,but I’ve not seen him lately).

😆

damascus
    Free Member

As above is it really any different to water bottle holes?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yes and no. They tend to be a little larger and a bottle hole usually has some support from a bolt*.

*Well, that’s my layman understanding of it.

Northwind

damascus – Member

The frame is designed to have those, so yes.

RickDraper
    Free Member

make the whole

Interesting.

Pridds

Drilled out one of bottle cage bolts and it took a cable fine. Aluminium Scale it is so the bolt for the cage was a kind of threaded rivet.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I did it on my previous bike a Lapierre Spicy by copying the location of the model from the following year.

Worked out fine.

Can’t get a drill in to where i want on my latest bike Saracen ariel or i would do this mod to it too.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Friend of mine did by just removing one of the bottle bolt inserts and using the hole left behind.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I’ll probably do it to my Alline 160 if I need to replace my Reverb in the near future

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Adding a stealth-routing hole – good idea?’ is closed to new replies.