Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Acoustic guitar, taylor, martin or simon and patrick?
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

Been playing a few, i strum do some picking, i am of average standard i suppose…

I had a mid range takamine which i found a bit tinny

My mates got a mid range taylor (about £1200 worth) which is lovely

I have tried a few martins and they have a lovely warm sound rich and resonant and i was set on getting one, till i tried a simon and patrick, for £650 it was pretty difficult to put down lovely sound and action.

Anyone got a simon and patrick what do you think?

Any other suggestions?

Any other brands i should try, any decent guitar shops within 30 miles of northampton

lodious
    Free Member

Personally I found Taylor's a bit bright, I prefer the Martin sound. S&P have a good rep, so if you like it, I'd go for it. Makes more sense to start with a cheaper guitar, then as you get more into it, you can change if you want something different.

The only decent acoustic guitar shop I know vaguly near Northampton is Sheehans(?) in Leicester, but I have not been there in years, so don't know what it's like at the moment.

stevomcd
    Free Member

You're not really comparing like with like there as I guess you know. Taylor and Martin are top-end stuff whereas Simon & Patrick are pretty mid-range.

That said, I've had a Simon & Patrick for years and years and love it to bits. It always gets loads of great comments from anyone else who picks it for a strum too.

Apparently, Simon & Patrick are the sons of Robert Godin (of Godin electric guitars) so they've got a good pedigree.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

i've had an S&P 6 Cedar for 6 years now. Absolutly adore it. Got a big round sound after i swapped out the brass for steel. I would highly recommend it. ditto – Stevomcd, everybody picks it up and admires its craft.

Actually selling it if anybody is interested.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

till i tried a simon and patrick, for £650 it was pretty difficult to put down lovely sound and action.

There's your answer.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

One of these…
    http://www.fyldeguitars.com/about.html
    My guitar teacher has one and it's just gorgeous.

Ooh, I do love a guitar thread. 8)

timdrayton
    Free Member

Bontybuns mail me id be quite keen

timdrayton@live.co.uk

How much pics etc

BontyBuns
    Free Member

Take a look at what i found in my Grandfarthers belongings when he passed away. 1970's 453 gibson copy i think, when Antoria were alive and kicking.

P1010784

Edit:Gibson 345, sorry 😉

BontyBuns
    Free Member

Tim ygm

FoxyChick
    Free Member

BontyBuns…what sort of chuffin' forum name is that?????? 8)

grievoustim
    Free Member

I tried both taylors and martins – they are both nice

What swung it for me was my LGS (GAK in Brighton) were able to knock a fair whack of the ticket price on a Taylor, but not a Martin – guess they have lower margins on those.

I agree that the Taylor is bright with a plectrum – but it really comes in to its own when played fingerstyle. Its incredible the variance in tone etc you can achieve just by varying your picking style compared to a cheaper guitar – I suppose the difference is 2d vs 3d. Of course I'm making sweeping statements – I;m sure there are plenty examples of budget guitars with great tone.

things to consider – do S&Ps have laminate side and backs? You will get a decent cases thrown in with a Taylor or Martin, will you get the same with a S&P?

FYI I got a £1300 Taylor for £1000

BontyBuns
    Free Member

It's a combination of more fortunate nick names given to me by my so called ''friends''.

metalheart
    Free Member

I'm a firm believer in you should buy the guitar you like/prefer playing best. Ignore who its made by.

I bought guitars in the past because I liked the look of them over how they played.

That said I bought a Taylor Big Baby unplayed as I got a local deal on it and it was selected for me as being the 'best' one they had in the shop. It is really nice, great sounding (but then I only play it fingers, no pick) for a 'cheap' guitar. Its plenty good enough for the likes of me!

I heard it said that Taylors are designed to sound great out of the box but that they don't 'mature' soundwise.

Martins probably have the best pedigree but you def pay for the name. Also been told to avoid the 'cheap' Martins as they aren't much cop.

mooman
    Free Member

seagull are another you should try.
    I have a simon & patrick folk size acoustic. Great easy to handle and superb sounding guitar – the seagull alternative is a bit pricier, but some say better sounding.

AdamT

I tried Taylor and Martins, but ended up with a lakewood. No electrics or anything, just a really responsive sound. Better for fingerstyle than thrashing. I think it's an M1, so smaller that a dreadnought.

CountZero

Ah, Seagull guitars. A friend's daughter wanted a guitar to learn on and she found a Seagull, solid top, for £100. I think they're a little more expensive these days.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Acoustic guitar, taylor, martin or simon and patrick?’ is closed to new replies.