Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Accept £1000 cash 'gift' from sister in law?
  • benho
    Free Member

My reasonably weathly sister in law has given my wife £1000 so we 'don't have to miss out' on a upcoming big family holiday to Disney World.

should I-

-Act all proud and get pissed off?
    -take the cash and feel forever in debt to her?
    -accept it as a very kind gift and have a blow out in the enchanted kingdom?

All opinions welcome

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

The last one, obviously.

porter_jamie

or:
    -buy some new bling for the bike?

lipseal
    Free Member

Take cash and buy new bike.

carlosg
    Free Member

Option 3.

just remember to say thanks 💡

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

What Spokescycles said.

RealMan
    Free Member

Does she expect anything in return? Pics?

br
    Free Member

Could you afford to go without her contribution?

And do you actually want to go?

uplink
    Free Member

Thank her but decline the offer would be my tack

petefromearth

if she genuinely is doing it to be nice, and you want to go, then take it

do something in return to say thanks (that costs less than £1k obviously!)

pstokes99
    Free Member

Thank her but decline the offer would be my tack

+1

benho
    Free Member

Its along story. The wifes family have a history of big family holidays together.
    I was kind of pushed into a corner by them all (inc my wife) that my kids would miss out, its the last time before some nephews leave home for them to all be together etc etc etc.

To cut a long story short

£2500 flights
    £700 car
    £1500 accomodation (17 nights, big 12 person villa-not my choice)
    £800 disney passes
    £???? spending money

There's only me working so we hadn't planned on a £6000 grand holiday this year

I think its probably a genuine, kind offer, just feel a bit uncomfortable taken that amount as a gift

steve_b77
    Free Member

Take the wedge, go to Vegas 😆

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Are your wife's family the financially irresponsible carpe diem types who (sister-in-law aside) spend more than they earn?

If so, just do what you want. Nobody should feel coerced into spending thousands of pounds on holidays that they don't actually want.

petefromearth

blimey, so even if you accept the money it still costs you £5000. i think i'd decline on that basis! that's still an expensive holiday

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Without knowing your SiL, then it is a bit difficult to comment.

If she's an "exceedingly richer" type, and would never let you forget her loan, then I'd pass.

If she genuinely wants your company and is being altruistic in offering the money, then accept, but make sure that the in laws know that this is a one off, and isn't to become an annual event – even with £1000 "gifted", paying off the other £5k would take more than a year.

allthepies
    Free Member

6K on a holiday! lol.

handyman
    Free Member

better idea would be to send kids with sister in law whilst you and wife have a quiet break somewhere romatic

petefromearth

actually when i was 10 (so 20 years ago) my dad took us to disney land in florida and it was fantastic, best family holiday ever. he mentioned it 1 year before, and having only ever had rainy fortnights in dorset or wales we thought "no way, he's just pulling our legs"

1 year later, he'd saved up and we went. the only time ever that my dad splashed out, and we all knew it! still got lots of photos that we dig out sometimes

if you can afford to go, i'm sure your kids will love it but £5k is a lot

yunki
    Free Member

don't let politeness unsettle you here..

If it's going to spoil the enjoyment of your holiday.. or taint your future relationship with the in-laws.. give it a miss.. but life is waaay too short and magnificent for etiquette..

love life.. don't live by life's limiting little laws..

benho
    Free Member

Its too late to get out as the flights are booked; her family live in a world where 6K holidays are the norm, she drives an Audi R8 (she doesn't work)so she won't miss a grand but feel theres a tiny bit of 'help our poor relative' involved and while the cash would help enormously I'd rather eat at a Taco Bell every night than feel like I was having my dinner bought for me.
    It all comes down to pride, tell me to swallow it and I'll accept the majority verdict.

IanMunro
    Free Member

No idea, but the holiday sounds like hell on earth 🙂
    Good luck whatever happens!

steve_b77
    Free Member

You could always discuss it with the other half, it'd be a far wiser way to make a decision than to rely on a bunch of internet junkies, who think £1.5k is very reasonable for a few tubes welded together with a boingy canister bolted to it.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Sounds like you married the wrong sister!!! 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

"but feel theres a tiny bit of 'help our poor relative' involved"

"I'd rather eat at a Taco Bell every night than feel like I was having my dinner bought for me".

If you feel youre being patronised, and that will sour the enjoyment of the trip (or your future relationship with them) I'd turn it down, but I would also refuse to go on a holiday I couldnt afford. Possibly go with handymans idea of packing the kids off (if they were the emotional blackmail lever) and have a cheaper/more personal holiday for you and the missus. Surely your wife will understand as youre the sole breadwinner.

FOG

If I went on any holiday with my SiL regardless of who paid, I would almost certainly kill her. Luckily my wife, her sister, agrees and we just make short visits just to say we keep in touch. Families are hell!

Kuco

6K holiday 😯

If it was me i'll tell her stop being tight and cough up some more money 😉

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

steve_b77 – Member
    You could always discuss it with the other half, it'd be a far wiser way to make a decision than to rely on a bunch of internet junkies, who think £1.5k is very reasonable for a few tubes welded together with a boingy canister bolted to it.

You can't even get a decent seat post for that, you cheap skate 😛

pacemaker
    Free Member

If you do go, make sure you spend another £400 on Universal studios tickets, then have a day by yourself at Kennedy Space Center. 😀

br
    Free Member

If you can afford the £5k, as in have you it already saved, then its your call.

If you haven't the cash, and will be getting £5k into debt, man-up and tell wife that your (as in your family) aren't going – then if neither of you want to tell the truth, fake an accident (your an MTBer aren't you?).

While Florida is worth a visit, I'd rather spend the cash somewhere else – Barbados is our usual choice.

jordie
    Free Member

pack the family off and offer to "look after :lol:" the R-8 for the fortnight.That sounds way more fun than standing in big Q`s in the blazing heat being ripped off in a big old tourist trap

geetee1972
    Free Member

I'd tell her not to be so tight and ask her to stump up the balance as well 😆

On a serious note, is there not an argument to say that it's not really your decision. It is, after all, your wife's sister giving her the money rather than your sister in law giving you the money.

A good wife would always ask how her husband felt about that and a wise husband would always reply that it was his wife's decision and that he would back her up 100% with whatever she decided? I hope that's not talking out of turn, but it may make your decision a little easier.

Especially if she took the money and bought him a new bike.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Accept £1000 cash 'gift' from sister in law?’ is closed to new replies.