• This topic has 44 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgggghhhhh
  • z1ppy

I get the money together for a new bike, the closest shop with the demo bike I want to try…. just sold it… AAAAAggghhhhh!

Distributors have a demo bike fleet, they have the frame I want built up, but they have in midget size…. Aagggghhh.

Nearest other demo bike…300 miles away, DOH!

iolo
    Free Member

What’s the bike and what size?

z1ppy

Banshee Phantom… Large…
    I’ve looked, no ones got one, understandable for a small brand, just very frustrating when a shop up the road had one for a while. I wasn’t prepared to pay for a demo bike till I had the money in the bank to buy it, my loss.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

See if you can get in touch with the person who bought the bike, if you can get them to trust you they might let you have a quick go on it.

roverpig

What happened to the Segment demo ?

z1ppy

CS, TBH if I’d just bought a bike (which is the way it sounds), I wouldn’t be in a rush to lend it out to some random stranger

Next weekend RP… but I’m keeping my options open, as my one friend keeps shouting at me to stop looking at it, and I have lusted after the Banshee since the 1st Sea otter prototype pictures.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

If yourself and the buyer are known to the LBS it’s not impossible that they can help you get something sorted. Just a thought as you’re obviously very distressed 😀

z1ppy

Yeah I know & I agree, but I’m not known to the shop, it’s 30 odd miles away. Close enough to use (& buy from) but I’ve not even walked in the door previously.

I bashing my head against the wall in frustration, not distress! 😯
    Just not willing to spend money on a bike I’ve never ridden

roverpig

Ah, right, sorry, I thought you meant that you were going to buy the Banshee today if it hadn’t sold.

Hope you sort something out as it would be interesting to hear a comparison of the Segment and Phantom (plus whatever else you test).

z1ppy

I was lining it up to demo, the weekend after Segment one, as I’m really quite pessimistic about it..
    There maybe a Transition Smuggler locally, but it’s another stupid “1x” only frame, so I’m really quite mleh about it.

roverpig

Could you get them to put a small enough chainring on the Smuggler to make it work?

I know what you mean about 1x though. I set my Solaris up 1×10 to see whether I’d be able to live with it (since a lot of the bikes that interest me seem to be going 1x only). I used a 28T chainring with a 42 tooth sprocket. So pretty low, but still not quite as low as my previous 22×36

I stuck it out for 6 months and managed to ride up everything, but knackered my left knee in the process. It could have just been coincidence, but I’ve gone back to riding the Five (with it’s 2×10 setup) and the knee seems to be slowly recovering. As I say, it could have just been coincidence, but it’s enough to make me a bit reluctant to go for anything that is 1x only.

Shackleton

If you can get to Dundee you can demo mine for free.

Have you tried mtb-shropshire?

z1ppy

TBH I ran 1×10 with a 32T up front and really wasn’t impressed, did a lot of walking in the mud, got more used to it over the rest of the year but again it hurt my knees.. they’ve only just stopped clicking nearly 12 months later (just realised this).
    I like my granny gears, and if I went 11 speed or 10 with an extender, I’m just going to wearing the low gears out. I know I’ll probably eventually end on this path (it’s the way things are going) but I’m not shooting myself in the foot by buy a “1x” frame just now.

z1ppy

If you can get to Dundee you can demo mine for free.
    Have you tried mtb-shropshire?

Cheers Shackleton, but your another 60 miles past Pedalsbikecare, and MTB-Shropshire are the ppl who just sold there demo bike

Shackleton

Fair enough. I got mine from pedals and they were very good to deal with. They are also just down the way from Glentress/Innerleithen so you can get a decent demo ride in a day.

I’m 6ft (35 inch inseam and long arms) and could easily ride the medium I demoed to get a feel for handling and suspension capabilities before I bought the large if that helps get a demo sorted.

z1ppy

tempting but 360 miles, maybe if it was mid summer 😉 & after 2 years of deciding, I want a bike now!

Interesting thought on the size, especially as the TT does increase with the seat height, m8 saw them at Core yesterday and reckon he’d need a large and he’s 5’11” (I’m 6’2″)

RustySpanner

Blazing Saddles in Hebden hooked me up with someone who’d just bought a small Soul that I could try.

It was a bit odd turning up at a complete strangers gaff and borrowing their brand new bike, but they were very happy to let me have a test.
    Thanks if you read this, btw!

Worth asking.

z1ppy

Trouble is the whole point of this “local demo” was to get it on home ground, especially as it’s wet ATM, so at least I knew what to expect trails wise. As I had a disastrous demo at Afan, not helped by riding a on the new trail (Blade) for the 1st time.

EDIT: Shackleton, are you sure the medium was “ok” to try, it’s whole load smaller TT wise? Sound like my knees will be round my ears…

monkeyninja
    Free Member

z1ppy if you want a phantom just buy it, email Keith the designer he will set you straight on the right size for you. I bought a spitfire v2 this time 2 years ago, direct from banshee as there was no UK distributor at the time. The frame had just been released in the US, there were no reviews at that point, only descriptions of how it rode from Keith. I took a gamble it paid off, it’s an amazing bike and the reviews now show that. What I’m saying is speak to the guy who designed the bike he knows exactly how it rides, it’s sized etc and then go for it!

Speshpaul

Have tried Plush hills for a Transition?

volatilemike
    Free Member

Maybe contact Ison distribution to see if they could send a demo bike to your dealer?

edit: just read your post properly, nvm.

z1ppy

I spoke to Keith at Core last year, he did a good job of convincing me & I was totally blown away but how approachable a chap he was.. just totally forgot to ask anything useful at the time… other than “WHEN ARE THEY COMING!”. Trouble is all the designers are passionate about their bikes, so really is this a yardstick to use?

I’m asking my m8 for a best price, but am really reluctant to buy a bike with a test of some sort. I don’t buy bikes often, as I keep them and ride them.

z1ppy

Speshpaul – Member

Have tried Plush hills for a Transition?

I refer the gentleman to the earlier comment
    “There maybe a Transition Smuggler locally, but it’s another stupid “1x” only frame, so I’m really quite mleh about it.”

But cheers for the thought, there cheaper too, which is nice.

Shackleton

If you are 6ft2 then medium may be a bit dinky. I could ride the medium without problems but was aware it was too small. It did let me see how the suspension worked, what the handling felt like, etc. Then I just went for it! I think you would definitely benefit from sitting on one to choose between L and XL. Can you get a go on a Prime or Spitfire in L or XL to at least give you an idea of the family characteristics (although the phantom is better than both 😉 )?

I was limited by there being no other options for short travel 29ers besides the process 111 and I wanted the ability to run a front deraileur (and had always wanted a banshee since the new genration came out 😳 )

If you really want to know you may have to bite the bullet and drive somewhere for the weekend. It is the only way to know.

There may be a review of the Phantom in this months mag as it was in the freshgoods a while back. They may make some comparisons to the Segment they reviewed in 94/93.

Speshpaul

You could always try 1x. you never know. Out Plush Hills turn left up carding mill, that should test it 😆

Rosss
    Free Member

Pretty sure Unit Cycles have a Large Phantom in stock, IIRC they’re doing really good deals on rolling chassis at the minute. Great guys to deal with give them a call or message on Facebook.

z1ppy

Paul I’ve tried it.. it’s rubbish 😉 (see posts above)

Unit cycles.. only 230 mile away now, I do appreciate the post trying to help.. maybe I could try a large Prime, to get the idea of the suspension feel and general handing hmmmmm, who got one of those? Ison test fleet?

user-removed
    Free Member

Just buy a different bike. They all have two wheels and handlebars. I’m not having a great day, sorry.

z1ppy

😯 I will, just really like the look of this and wanted a go as I’m testing another bike next weekend & want to make a final decision asap. 1st world problems I know

PS: Ison’s Banshee test fleet is for midgets… grrrmmmble 😉

mboy
    Free Member

PS: Ison’s Banshee test fleet is for midgets… grrrmmmble

See, despite what the mainstream media would tell you, midgets like 29ers too! 😉

dingleberry
    Free Member

At 6’2″ I’d even consider an XL, I’m 5’10″ish on a large Spitfire…

z1ppy

Can’t.. well they’ve no stock, ISON really have a downer on tall ppl :mrgreen:

glowormnz
    Free Member

High guys, unfortunately Pat at Ison does not have a login so cannot help directly but has asked me to steer you in the right direction.

Not only have I ridden both sizes of phantom I also happen to be the NZ importer. I am 6ft and could ride either size, they feel longer than the spitfire.

First of all, picking bikes for a demo fleet is a difficult beast and we’re never going to get it 100%. However although sizing is important, demo’ing a bike is also about how the bike feels, the suspension, the angles, the pedalling.

I’d encourage you to try a medium and then make a decision from there, I’m sure it will help.

glowormnz
    Free Member

….also Pat has advised he has sent an email direct to z1ppy in an attempt to help out. Cheers

gee
    Free Member

I’ve got a large phantom if you’re anywhere near Camberley.

z1ppy

Cheers Bruce, I just seen Pats email & have replied. Ok come on you all know I wasn’t being serious about my “Ison midget loving theory” 😈 , & I can understand the point of limiting stock based on previous sales & the difficulty a bike shop experiences stocking demo bikes.
    Many thanks for the very kind offer Gee, getting down to 133 miles now 😉
    Little limited for time though currently, so I wouldn’t want to put you out trying to arrange a ride, then have you watch some tub of lard huff and puff on your pride & joy 😳

mboy
    Free Member

then have you watch some tub of lard huff and puff on your pride & joy

LOVE it!

The future’s bright, the future’s Orange! 😉

gee
    Free Member

Let me know if you decide you want a go.

GB

Sui
    Free Member

There’s one in Surrey hills, nirvana..

z1ppy

Again cheers Gee, I really want to test locally, to get the feel of a bike without distraction of new trails.
    nirvana cycles have a prime, unless you know something that’s not on there website. Really want the bashee Sui, I was really clutching @ straws, about trying a prime

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgggghhhhh’ is closed to new replies.