Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • A which lights thread
  • saxabar
    Free Member

Having got a bit lost in past threads, here’s another. The brief: lights needed for 7 mile one-way commute with no street lights. Ideal cost, up to £60. Any suggestions?

Jamie
    Free Member

Having got a bit lost…..

Here’s a map 😀

Incidentally, I have bought a DX for £28 for night riding on unlit roads. I figure if I get one winters use then I cannot really grumble. Also got one of the Lunar R1 rear lights from Planet-X for £13. Jeesus is that thing bright.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I’ve been reading all the light threads lately too. I’ve decided my best course of action would be:smudge’s light

I’ll also be on deal extreme for some sort of helmet mounted torch…but that’s where i got a bit lost.

TimP
    Free Member

Ordered a smudge light on Friday having got all confused by the DX light threads and meeting a bloke who had got a cheap DX light and killed the battery already meaning it only lasted a couple of hours.

Looking forward to it arriving and testing later this week

saxabar
    Free Member

I have a DX, but I’m hoping that a bright spark might have some good suggestions on ones without battery packs. Any more thoughts?

ElShalimo

the smudge lights look really good
    has anyone had done a long-term review of them?

Taff
    Free Member

I have just bought THIS and even in daylight is it pretty bright but tonight will be the deciding factor. I will be using it in conjunction with the light that Jamie linked you to for £28. All in all I have spent £60 on lighting that should be all I need for off road riding so you should have no issues with it on the road for commuting.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

500 lumens is going to be a bit too bright for the road, I reckon 200 is max, based on messaging around with a hope vision 1.

You wouldn’t want a car to come round a corner, be blinded by your light and then hit you because his night vision was screwed.

Get a vertically mounted fibreflare for the rear – gives side visibility as good as that to the rear.

http://www.fibreflare.com/

saxabar
    Free Member

Ah sorry – should have clarified, the commute is mostly offroad so no worries about vehicles.

Taff, do let us know how you get on with it.

Clobber
    Free Member

I can confirm that the smudge light is excellent!

ElShalimo

I was thinking of getting a smudge light then adding a cheap dealextreme torch to my helmet. Has anyone done this? If so which DX light did you get?

Taff
    Free Member

This is my torch, I find it quite powerful and it’s stated to be about 300lumens. The photo doesn’t really do it justive if I’m honest

stayhigh

Clubber How did you find the Smudge light, did you have it on the bars or helmet?

sangobegger
    Free Member

Deal extreme – love the lights (p7 an all that) but after going through 3 in a year I’ve had enough.Bright they may be but unreliable as hell as far as I am concerned.And before you ask they were all torches used for walkin the dog, not bashin thru the bush so to speak.

andrewh
    Free Member

I got two brand new Hope Vision 1s off fleabay for £60 each, can’t be beat for that price.
    One is perfectly adequate for raod/commuting duties, probably overkill TBH but I ran one on the bars and one on the helmet at a 24hr. Got a set FullBeam NightNemesis now, phenomenal amount of light from those but somewhat over your budget.

Clobber
    Free Member

I use the smudge light on the helmet, I’ve been looking for a punchy light for just this purpose. I run a trout original liberator on the bars.

Having fully experienced this now, I really think something nice and floody on the bars combined with something with throw on the helmet is a great combination.

I rode last night in the forest with just the smudge light and it was strange experience not having the trout lib light the way, but the smudge light was excellent.

I have recently got a fibreflare rear light too and it may be my imagination but it seems drivers do take more care when they see one of these, really impressed.

derekrides
    Free Member

I know I don’t read good, and I’m not the sharpest tool in the box, but can anyone explain what abscission has to do with lights, in those smudge lights they say no abscission. I need to know if I’ve got abscission now and how bad my life will be if I get it.

Oh and if any of you kind biking people answer this I have another question whilst I have someones attention, I want to put like those little led lights on my bike, like they have on cars, like a strip of them, yes it is for over the top effect, but I need it to cheer me up I’m having a bad time right now.. Anyone know where to get such a thing?

Taff
    Free Member

FYI went out for tue first night ride tonight with the torch. Used it on low on my helmet but kept the hot spot so that it was only 4-5 bike lengths in front of me. No issues with cars. Was pleasantly surprised how good it was on the low setting. Its strong but the hotspur is quite narrow but does give off a generous halo which on medium or full would make it adequate for road riding. Would be awesome I. Conjunction with a bar mounted flood so I will see what it’s Luke when / if my DE package arrives.

TimP
    Free Member

hotspur is quite narrow

what it’s Luke

Did ride to the pub??

Taff
    Free Member

D’okh. Sorry… predictive text on the iphone.. thought I proofed it as well!!!

simon1975

I just did this shopping list for a friend, so I thought I’d share it with you here:

This is my latest one, which was from DealExtreme’s UK warehouse:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-p10-r5-cree-xr-g-r5-5-mode-350-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-1-18650-904442972

But I don’t think they’ve got the batteries and other accessories in stock in the UK, so you might need to order from them in HK, or from someone else entirely (ebay?).

My 18650 batteries (you must get the “Protected” ones to prevent damage to battery/charger/torch):
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-protected-18650-3-7v-true-2400mah-rechargeable-lithium-batteries-2-pack-20392

My charger (yes, it’s REALLY basic, but it seems to work well – you’ll need to fit a standard UK mains plug to it, or use some sort of adaptor):
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/single-18650-17670-lithium-battery-charger-1a-charging-current-5837

My helmet mounting block:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/universal-adjustable-bicycle-mount-for-flashlights-2cm-4cm-diameter-31871
    but look at your helmet carefully first, because you might be better off with this one:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/universal-nylon-mount-for-flashlights-and-lasers-12000
    or buy both because they’re not exactly expensive!

I’ve got a bar mount too, but I haven’t actually tried it with this newest torch. I’m sure it’ll be fine:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/universal-bicycle-mount-for-flashlights-and-gadgets-2cm-3cm-diameter-adjustable-15642

Happy shopping!
    Simon

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘A which lights thread’ is closed to new replies.