Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • A King James Bible for ever state school?
  • SST
    Free Member

supplied by the government.

Are state schools generally C of E? I can’t remember.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No and I am sure the jews and the Muslims are waiting eagerly for their copy in their schools. I say theirs obviously the taxpayer funds it

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

just the one would be ok I suppose, shouldn’t be too expensive.

The headmaster could always use it to prop her office door open to show how accessible she was.

Northwind

I think they ought to have one, alongside the Qu’ran and the Torah and the Dhammapadda and some sutras and whatever other texts for the major religions. It just shouldn’t have any special place other than as a textbook available to pupils.

sc-xc

I think they ought to have one, alongside the Qu’ran and the Torah

Not all teachers drive Volkswagens 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Are state schools generally C of E? I can’t remember.

A fair few are catholic – I’m not sure how offended they will feel about being given King James Bible. I suspect not very much, and they will take it in their stride. Which is probably what everyone should try to do.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

I think they ought to have one, alongside the Qu’ran and the Torah and the Dhammapadda and some sutras and whatever other texts for the major religions.

A veritable library of faerie stories.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Probably showing my age, but wouldn’t pretty much every school already have one in the school library?
    The whole thing does seem to have a hint of a “the thick of it” script about it.

Still, it looks like the kids are really into it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I believe they have been funded privately. Whilst I think the money could be better spent, it’s not my money so who am I to tell whoever stumped up the cash how they should spend it.

I don’t think their generosity should be criticised really.

Aristotle
    Free Member

I don’t think their generosity should be criticised really.

But why bother to donate a book that every school that either wants, or doesn’t want, one probably has anyway? I can’t imagine that there is a particularly long waiting list to borrow this most desirable (….yes, yes, one of the most printed book ever…)of tomes from most school libraries.

Why the King James version, other than it being some sort of arbitrary anniversary year? Why not a version written in ancient Greek or Hebrew? Why don’t they send a Kindle version?

Father forgive them, for they know not what they do…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why the King James version, other than it being some sort of arbitrary anniversary year?

I believe mainly because it’s the 400 year anniversary of the King James version – it really wouldn’t make any sense to use another version to mark that event.

And also undoubtedly because most people won’t be bothered that a King James Bible is being sent to every school, eg :

Maulana Shahid Raza, chairman of the Mosques and Imams National Advisory Board, said: ‘I hope it enables children of all faiths to discover the heritage and cultural legacy of their country and helps them to grow up in a peaceful, cohesive and tolerant society.’

A fair, reasonable, and tolerant, comment. I hope he never tries to post those sort of sentiments on STW 🙂

swiss01
    Free Member

one presumes then that the naysayers aren’t english speakers. which must be the case as otherwise, allowing for some farfetched claims as to originality of phrase or usage with the kjb, one would be sidelining it as a critical text in the codification of the english language.

similarly the argument must be made that if it isn’t to be available in schools then perhaps it lacks historical significance which would be to entirely ignore that period, what’s it called? oh yeah, the reformation. and that series of events did nothing to shape the history of the entire european continent and beyond the world.

but then again that could just be me. let’s ignore the language we speak, the history through which it was formed and the effects it had on the culture we now live in. fabulous idea. best start with the kids eh?

anagallis_arvensis

I’d be astounded if every school didnt already have one.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’d be astounded if every school didnt already have one.

They aren’t just sending them some generic paperback copy from Waterstones to bung on a shelf.

mogrim

Even Richard Dawkins has commented on the beauty of the English used in the KJB, it really is a fundamental text, easily as important as Shakespeare when talking about modern English.

Not that I’m convinced sending a single copy to a school is going to make any difference, but it’s not my money.

bullheart
    Free Member

It’s a book. For schools. For free.

What’s the issue?

Education is about asking questions and seeking answers about all aspects of life; I’m agnostic, but if a free book in my school library increases the opportunity to learn stuff then I’m happy to look at the bigger picture…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What’s the issue?

I think you’ll find that the issue here is that it’s a religious book, and this is STW – home of intolerance, and religious intolerance in particular.

joao3v16
    Free Member

😕

I’m confused.

We’re talking about religion, and yet so far the comments have been well-balanced and sensible.

Very strange for a STW ‘religion’ thread.

wwaswas

I’d have been more in favour if Michael Gove hadn’t insisted on writing a foreward to it.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’d have been more in favour if Michael Gove hadn’t insisted on writing a foreward to it.

😆

What possible value can that nit add to the biggest selling book in the history of the world etc

munrobiker
    Free Member

When I was at school all the year 7 kids got given a bible by the gideons anyway. I think mine went in the bin.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don’t agree with religions so I find it a bit irksome but at the same time I think that since we have so many people who follow these curious ways of thinking students should have access to information about all of them. Much the same way you learn about Nazi’s but don’t necessarily suggest it as a career path.

Junkyard
    Free Member

easily as important as Shakespeare when talking about modern English

Oh behave

let’s ignore the language we speak, the history through which it was formed and the effects it had on the culture we now live in. fabulous idea. best start with the kids eh?

aye if we did not have one of these books in every school in the land all this would be lost for ever…excellent point.

GrahamS

Can’t really see any sensible objection to giving kids access to books.
    Particularly hugely influential books that have shaped our language and heritage today.

As long as they keep it in the fiction section obviously. 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

We’re talking about religion, and yet so far the comments have been well-balanced and sensible.

Very strange for a STW ‘religion’ thread.

Well it’s true that people like Junkyard who is usually a reliable source of religious intolerance/outrage, have only made a half-arse attempt. Perhaps what Guardian reading “lefties” need is something to jeer them up and get their teeth into.

Let the Guardian come to the rescue and help to whip them up into a frenzy of indignation :

Michael Gove’s King James Bible plan rescued by millionaire Tory donors

Unfortunately the article only claims that Michael Gove wrote an accompanying letter not the forward. Although on the plus side it does darkly suggest that the project is being bankrolled by “mostly former hedge fund and private equity bosses”.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

What’s the issue?

Balance?

As long as the schools use it in conjunction with other religious texts and some text that provides a counter viewpoint that’s great. They will then have some context in which to make decisions regarding their own lives.

If, as Ernie suggests, it’s funded by an external source, you do have to question their motives at the very least (blimey, did I just agree with Ernie, must go lie down).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Wow ernie you really are a bastion of tolerance and respect the likes of which I can only aspire to
    You are like a poor mans Z-11 trying to provoke a reaction to overcome your ennui with the same old [personal ish] attacks.

You would be lost without someone or something to goad on STW
    Good luck finding someone to bite so you can pleasure yourself via arguments on the internet, personally Mleh and IDGAS

GrahamS

Balance?

That’s up to the schools to sort out though surely?

If it was being given on condition that it was taught as absolute truth and was not contested then I’d get upset and start frothing into my skinny latte.

bullheart
    Free Member

As long as the schools use it in conjunction with other religious texts and some text that provides a counter viewpoint that’s great. They will then have some context in which to make decisions regarding their own lives.

As someone who deals with a great number of schools, from state comps to independents to grammar, I’m fairly confident you’ll find a wide and varied range of religious texts in most school libraries.

it’s funded by an external source, you do have to question their motives at the very least

Does this include other external sources, such as the British Library, the British Science Association, the Historical Association, etc…?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

the same old [personal ish] attacks.

Junkyard……….the man who has never knowingly posted a ‘personal attack’ on someone !!!!!!

Seriously mate, that made me lol 😀

bigblackshed

Being bloody suspicious, I find that the books are from a private donor through the Gov. If a private donor wishes to give a KJB to every school then why does the Gov need to be involved?

Unless it’s a case of Bibles for Peerages or PM Questions?

Or to distract attention from the phone hacking / Jeremy Hunt debacle?

Just being suspicious?

joao3v16
    Free Member

it’s funded by an external source, you do have to question their motives at the very least

Why so much cynicism/suspicion.

Maybe someone just thinks it’s a good idea and wants to use their privileged position (i.e. loads of money) to help, especially at a time when the govt is pretty strapped for cash.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

bullheart – Member

As someone who deals with a great number of schools, from state comps to independents to grammar, I’m fairly confident you’ll find a wide and varied range of religious texts in most school libraries.

Seems reasonable as long as the schools provide text that dispute the religious texts as well – you know, the whole picture – there is, there isn’t, and all the varieties of each.

Does this include other external sources, such as the British Library, the British Science Association, the Historical Association, etc…?

Yep, as long as the motivation is known and up front. For example British Science Association are, I assume, promoting the scientific method. Which, on balance perhaps answers the first point. As long as my 2 are provided with the information, they are sufficiently intelligent to determine for themselves which route/s to follow.

Free books are great, as long as they are free in all senses of the word.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If a private donor wishes to give a KJB to every school then why does the Gov need to be involved?

Of course the government doesn’t need to get involved. I’m sure the bibles could have been distributed without the involvement of a senior government politician. I have no doubt that it’s just a political stunt by the Tories. But so what ?

richc
    Free Member

SO, what, SO WHAT! how the hell is that kind of comment going to fuel the athesit arguements on here!

Get a grip ernie, where the hell do you you think you are!

Remember to focus on the core doctorine of STW: ‘My opinion on everything is right, if you disagree with me, you are an idiot’ 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

he does 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ouu…..is that a personal attack JY ? 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

observation ? 😉

totalshell

I d rather the govt was involved in giving all children in the country access to a cornerstone of the dominant religion in the country than pretending religion is good bad or insignificant

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘A King James Bible for ever state school?’ is closed to new replies.