Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A bit of a unusual flip flop hub question.
  • juan
    Free Member

Right If I use a flip flop hub for fixed riding purposes (what I acutally do) we all agree that the pedalling action tighten the sprocket.

So basically, on the non drive side as the thread is reversed, so basically the braking action should tighten it.

So I could theoretically run a disk on the non drive side of a flip flop hub, as it will tighten under braking right…

Now is there a gizmo that will allow me to run a disk on a flip flop hub?

crikey
    Free Member

I'd say no because the disk and the sprocket would have to be fixed somehow together, and you'd get oil on the disc too?

Ah, do you mean just run one sprocket and a disc on the other side?

handyman153
    Free Member

Even if there was a way, i doubt very much the disc would be close enough to the frame for it to work.
    As there is quite is large gap on mine between the threads and the frame dropout.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Juan – i am running a fixed cog on one side and a disc on the other on my Carver. It is a Phil Wood hub but not fixie specific. The fixed cog is just a normal cog with a bit of Loctite to hold it on.

Lots of people on here told me I would die as the cog isn't locked in place and isn't a reverse thread.

They were wrong and can ride happily around the NF and Lordswood with a fixed cog and a disc brake.

alpin
    Free Member

BBB, you can happily run your set up if you use the disc to slow yourself down. if you had your set up without a disc (or any form of rim brake) you'd likely undo the cog leaving you in a very tricky situation.

i know of one guy who went out on the track and thought he'd slow down by skidding. the result was that his cog came loose, he lost control and caused a pile up.

Riofer
    Free Member

DMR made an adaptor to do just this and I happen to have one I don't need. I think I got it from CRC. Drop me a mail if you are interested

mattsccm
    Free Member

Riofer, you have an adaptor that lets me run a disc on a flip flop thread?
    Just what i am after I think. I was experimenting with welding an old disc to a machined down sprocket to allow me to run an disc and single speed. Spacing worked but getting it straight was trciky as the two metals had different distortion rates. I'll get there but if I can find one, well….If its not avavilible a pic would be great.
    How do I pm? or receive any? Never worked that out!

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Yes, you can; SJS sell an ARAI to disc adapter. Was originally for putting a disc-brake on a drum-brake mount to act as a tandem drag brake. But fits on a standard freewheel thread to mount a disc. You may have to shim the disc to the correct spacing, but will work beautifully.

Do it, and show us your scars!
    ever ridden a fix-wheel with a back-brake? I have.
    Much more dangerous than riding a fix-wheel without. The wheel is prone to locking up with your legs in odd positions and feels a bit like your riding a bucking bronco.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have happily run just a fixed sporcket with no lock ring. after a bit (years) the steel and alloy corrode and getting the thing off is the problem.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Fixed and brake. I'm not that daft. tried it as a youngster thinking I would stop quicker. Scars have gone, at least the physical ones have. hell. No this project is SS with a disc. And before some one says anything its track width SS so a flip flop is the way to go. Bloody alloy frames. Can't spring them to 135mm.
    With ref to above post. I have also unhappily done the same !

Riofer
    Free Member

Matt
    it is here at CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1048

This is some info I got from DMR
    "The thread size on that product is 1.37" – 24TPI
    As long a the male thread on your hub match's this it will be fine.
    Best to enquire with the hub manufacture first"

Yours for £10 if you want it

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Fixed and brake is fine once you get used to it.

I can happily lock the back wheel without using the brake and without the cog coming off. This is off road and not on a track remember. I use the back brake to slow things down a bit on steep or long descents rather than to actually try and lock the wheel.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A bit of a unusual flip flop hub question.’ is closed to new replies.