Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • 853 Tubing! Tell me…
  • PlopNofear
    Free Member

My friend is a skeptic of 853 bike frames. Give me some benefits and some facts about 853 tubing to prove him wrong.

Thanks

Edric64
    Free Member

I's light and strong ,way stronger than 531 and I can't break that offroad .What doesn't he like about it?

clubber
    Free Member

It has added pixie dust.

My 853 inbred feels the same as my standard ones…

clubber
    Free Member

This sums it up well. You can see that many people desperately want to believe the hype 😉

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/853-is-it-really-better

hopster
    Free Member

TBH there are so many 853 tube options that a custom built frame will feel different to an off the shelf built for everyone type of frame. I agree that an off the shelf frame built with 853 will feel no different to an inferior tube if built with the same diameter tubing and geometry but a well built custom frame with tubing to match your weight and riding style will.

Northwind

It's just light. Best of luck trying to make something the weight and strength of a Soul out of bog standard cromo. Not convinced there's anything magic about the feel though.

Course, some bikes fail to even get the light weight out of it, like the new Pipedream, they prove nicely there's nothing magic about 853.

Macavity
    Free Member
    Edric64
    Free Member

It rides better ,one of my friends has just changed from a Charge to a Pace 853 frame and he says the ride is amazing He should know as he runs my local bike shop and has ridden most bikes known to man .I can tell the difference instantly between an old 531 mtb and 4130 gaspipe it is far more forgiving quicker on rough stuff and far less knackering to ride it is far more than just a sticker

ahwiles
    Free Member

it's very strong, so you can make the tube walls a bit thinner, which makes the frame a bit lighter, and a bit more flexible.

that's about it…

clubber
    Free Member

Edric neatly demonstrates the bike industry standard 😉

convert

It is another one of those small variables that makes up the whole experience. Geometry, wheel choice, tyre choice and pressure, fork setup and bar and stem length could easily mask something so subtle so I think you would have to really know your onions to hand on heart know it was the type of steel that was making the difference.

That said I love my 853 Niner Sir9 but that is certainly no proof – might have been nice made out of gas pipe.

clubber
    Free Member

Years ago, I got a frame repainted and rebuilt it with exactly the same components as before. Told my (very experienced cyclist) mate that I'd got a new frame. He rode it and commented about how much better it was than the old one. It's amazing the different a coat of paint or a sticker can make to even experienced riders if they think they know what to expect…

Macavity
    Free Member

Materials

"The chemistry of air-hardening steels like our 853 and 631 means that not only are they stronger than typical chrome-alloy 4130 type steels, but after TIG o r MIG welding, the heat-affected zone (HAZ) will be significantly stronger due to the grain structure formed on cooling in air. The positive result from this is a higher fatigue life for the joint – usually 30-60% better than an equivalent Cr-Mo joint. So less material can be used to achieve a particular target fatigue performance."

PikeBN14
    Free Member

convert – Member
    It is another one of those small variables that makes up the whole experience. Geometry, wheel choice, tyre choice and pressure, fork setup and bar and stem length could easily mask something so subtle so I think you would have to really know your onions to hand on heart know it was the type of steel that was making the difference.

That said I love my 853 Niner Sir9 but that is certainly no proof – might have been nice made out of gas pipe.

Swapped all the bits from a Soma Juice (presige Tange) to a Niner Sir9 and the ride was massively different. The reviews had talked about feeling like it had an inch of suspension travel at the back which I thought was absolute 8ollocks, but the proof is in the pudding, it is a far more 'comfortable' ride.

Are some frames not made with just an 853 front triangle, guess that could be why some don't feel so much different to cheaper tubed siblings?

letmetalktomark

From my personal (lay) perspective….

My Soul is a wonderfully compliant ride that whips up climbs and is very forgiving on the downs – I agree with Pike ^^ that it does almost feel that you could be riding a soft tail.

My Pipedream is far harsher. More akin to one of my non 853 framed hardtails.

I guess though they both should be pretty tough.

clubber
    Free Member

Most 853 frames use non-853 stays because there's no real advantage (Cy explains why in the other thread).

You can't compare a Soma Juice and a Niner SIR on the basis of the tubing used when they're not remotely the same.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Tube Size has greater effect than material.

But stronger materials means thinner/smaller tubes can be used.

853 is stronger than everything else (except 953) allowing designer more flexibility in design. (i.e. for more strength, more stiffness, or light-weight or comfort etc)

Hence why 2 different bikes made from 853 can feel radically different.

It's still a nice sticker and a good industry standard for top end quality steel.

😀

Macavity
    Free Member

Reynolds 853 used to be just the seat, top and down tubes but
    853 seatstays & chainstays are listed
    http://reynoldstechnology.biz/assets/pdf/rtl_2010_parts_list.pdf

clubber
    Free Member

Available but still not widely used and even if they were, other tubes have at least as much influence on how the bike feels (springiness) as the stays which are relatively short and well supported (triangulated). Plus, unless you use really very thin walled ones, chances are they'll just be stronger rather than more flexy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I can tell the difference instantly between an old 531 mtb and 4130 gaspipe it is far more forgiving quicker on rough stuff and far less knackering to ride it is far more than just a sticker

you might want to revisit that comment…………

5** reynold tubes ARE 4130! In fact there was an article/info page/press release/interview thingy on the on-one site about why the inbreds are made out of what they call DN6 steel. Turns out 520/525 are just the same thing one made in tiawan and the other in birmingham and the shop mkaing it in Tiawan just pays $5 to use the reynolds 520 badge on its own 4130 tubes which in turn are made to a higher spec than the reynolds spec for 525. So the on one DN6 is actualy 'beter' than the 525 coming out of Birmingham (if it were built to the exact standards). But I suspect Birmingham 525 is probably just 4130 as well.

james-o
    Free Member

"its own 4130 tubes which in turn are made to a higher spec than the reynolds spec for 525"

not quite – Founderland make it to Reynolds' specs for dimensional accuracy and tolerances etc so they should be the same, taking wear of dies etc into account

531 is mag-moly, 525 + 520 + DN6 + 4130 are all cro-molys. different alloys so different properties for elongation, UTS etc. 5** = not sure, posts's been swear-edited maybe!?

there is no way to tell between 531 and 4130 if all tube dims are the same, they will ride the same. only difference is durability. so what people feel as a beter tube is in reality a different tube dimension flexing more or less, depending on your preferences.

Edric64
    Free Member

Isnt 4130 just the industry standard code for chromo in the states?I can tell the difference instantly between an old 531 mtb and 4130 gaspipe it is far more forgiving quicker on rough stuff and far less knackering to ride it is far more than just a sticker

No my Overburys Fellrider is a much nicer more forgiving ride than a Gaspipe Diamondback I have

clubber
    Free Member

But if that's not just in your mind, it doesn't mean it's because of the Overbury's specifc tubing model itself compared to the Diamondback's 🙄

The two bikes don't have the same geometry, design, tube diameters, wall thicknesses, butting and so on and that's before even considering the different tyres, components and so on.

Edric64
    Free Member

It's not in my mind and after 32 years of cycling I think I can tell if one bike rides better than another based on the tubeset.my Ishiwata tubed tt bike is better than the Columbus one I used previously.My 501 mtb feels dead compared to 531.I know my steel frames!

james-o
    Free Member

clubbers right, 4130 is only gaspipe if you spec a 38×1.2mm PG top and down tube, for example. if you could buy 532 in that size it would feel crap too.

dimensions affect ride feel, material affects strength.

Edric64
    Free Member

never ridden 532 😆

clubber
    Free Member

You should try – it's springier than 853, stiffer, lighter and faster. And more comfortable, better at absorbing shock and 152% better at transmitting power.

Edric64
    Free Member

Does it make up for the fact that I am old and slow though?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I stand corrected I misread 531 as 525/520

And having ridden a DMR switchback and On-One 456 back to back with identical builds (everything was swapped over) I can safely say the 456 and DMR ride completely differenly. Funny that becasue if it were down to the steel sticker they should be entirely the same (ones 520, the other DN^, both rebadged 4130).

clubber
    Free Member

Hard to say.

Actually no, I'll go for the magazine/mtb industry myth route and say yes it definitely will and you'll definitely be able to feel the difference despite what all the material science/etc may say.

Pixie dust y'see 😉

james-o
    Free Member

Edric, with respect, the sticker isn't affecting what you feel, it's the frame's design. you can feel a difference in the frames yes, but if you made that 501 frame from 531 and didn't change any dimensions at all, it'd feel the same. the 531 version would probably last longer on an EN jig tho.

worth reading Scott Nichol's metalurgy for cyclists essays online – very well written frame engineering fudamentals.

james-o
    Free Member

532 is the new 531, it's stiffer 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

152% better at transmitting power.

Now that is just plain bollocks, it's 163.5% better.

sanctimoniousasshat
    Free Member

It rides better ,one of my friends has just changed from a Charge to a Pace 853 frame and he says the ride is amazing He should know as he runs my local bike shop and has ridden most bikes known to man.

So much farkin bollocks on this thread I barely dare add to it… 853 is 'stronger' but it depends what you do with it. two frames made of the same profile tubings (diameter, wall thickness and butt length) one in 853 and one in non-branded 4130 will ride exactly the same. the 853 one will probably last longer – that is it.

I can tell the difference instantly between an old 531 mtb and 4130 gaspipe it is far more forgiving quicker on rough stuff and far less knackering to ride it is far more than just a sticker

531 is 4130 you asshat. again – it's down to tube profiles and frame design. equally true – you could have a frame from 853 that rides like shite and an 'unbranded' butted 4130 frame that rides beautifully, there are some examples around.

james-o
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon, that ride experiment says it all huh.

Edric64
    Free Member

If you are correct then an 18/23 hi ten steel road frame would feel the same as 753 if built to the same dimensions and angles?

clubber
    Free Member

If you include butting profiles, diameters and wall thicknesses then yes. And it'd weigh the same. It'd be weaker though.

Edric64
    Free Member

531 is 4130

No it's not 531 is not chromo its manganese molybdenum

clubber
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/41xx_steel

4130 contains a small (1%) amount of chrome IIRC in comparison

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘853 Tubing! Tell me…’ is closed to new replies.