• This topic has 54 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by accu.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • 853 Prince Albert
  • kane10255
    Free Member

20 more pre orders needed to see this happen check out http://www.dialledbikes.com
    Come on I want one of these lets make it happen.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

I emailed yesterday about what deposit is required…. no answer yet…

soobalias
    Free Member

anyone got any pics handy of the original colour sets, red, black, grey, blue?

Dont imagine this is gonna happen quickly, so why wait for the 853 rather than have a 725 version now?

richc
    Free Member

The blue looked like this:

Personally I am hanging on for the Ti Alpine ……

Kane, less than 20 more orders needed as of today (need to check the list, but it’s probably more like 10 now).

Richie Boy, if I haven’t replied to you yet, I may not have received your email, so please re-send, as I answered all my e-mail backlog yesterday evening.

LoCo
    Free Member

I sold my Mk1 4130 powder blue Albert to help fund the business setup and have regretted it since as it was one of best bikes I’ve ever had, got hold of a mk 2 520 frame, having seen this thread though I really fancy an 853 in powder 😀

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Thanks Mike, YGM 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

would be nice to track down your Mk1, it deserves a special place in history

failing that order an 853 #l’oreal

nedrapier

very tempted by one of these. doing the dekerf up (much needed respray, decals, disc mount + assorted tidying of guides and bosses) will come to a slice more than one of these.

What are they like as an all day xc bike? are they build a bit too tuff to be comfy and lithe?

What sort of weights do people build them into? With, say, STW standard issue reba’s, thomson, pro II and crests, 2 x 10?

Ta!

freeridenick
    Free Member

ned – they are good all day bikes, certainly for around surrey.

I ride a Kobe at the mo, but have a Mk1 frame in the garage.
    Kobe better jumping etc – but gets your back on longer rides.
    PA – more stretched out and longer stays so easier on the body!

30lbs build up.

kane10255
    Free Member

freeridenick good to hear of your experiences of the bike as an all day comfortable bike which judging by the other comments from the forumers it can also handle the rough stuff with ease, just the ticket for me, cheers.

nedrapier

just found more here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bfe-or-prince-albert

Good to hear it’s going to be lighter, I was a slightly put off by this review of the original 853 on bike magic:

The thing to remember about 853 is that it’s not actually less dense than regular chromoly, but it is considerably stronger, so you can use less of it, either by speccing smaller-diameter tubes or ones with thinner walls, or both.

The PA, though, has hung on to its generously-proportioned tubes. That has two effects. First, you don’t get the weight saving that you’d expect. But second, you get a ludicrously strong frame. 5.5lb of 853 goes a long way…

Mike, do you have likely weights for the new 17″er?

freeridenick
    Free Member

Yep – its also capable with a decent 20mm fork – but slightly long for jumping IMO.

Gordymac
    Free Member

I’m hovering over the buy button at the moment.

Just have to flog a few things to fund it 🙂

ojom
    Free Member

To those in our neck of the woods, we are taking in a pile of them from Mike so you can come see and fondle etc

yunki
    Free Member

SWMBO says no… 🙁

simon_g

I’m still undecided. Mostly because I already have a nice orange PA already and it seems a bit silly to spend £295 to replace it with basically the same thing. But still… 853… hmmm.

rOcKeTdOg

Only £295? Thats a bargain for an 853 PA!

diawl2
    Free Member

Aaaargh….already have a grey 725, which I love to bits. I don’t need an 853 but really really want one….in Kwacker green. Might pay to go down a size too. Truth be told, I want a Holeshot and an Alpine too!

soobalias
    Free Member

ned, Mike said on another thread recently (IIRC) that he doesnt know frame exact weights
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dialled-prince-albert-2

ive always thought that if you are concerned about weight, then steel isnt the frame material for you.

EDIT: i thought the 725s only came in orange/green is your grey one a custom spray job? (pics?) far as i can tell the 853s are not going to be done in kwaka…..

honourablegeorge

soobalias – Member

ive always thought that if you are concerned about weight, then steel isnt the frame material for you.

If you’re wondering whether an 853 frame is worth the premium over the standard one, then it’s pretty relevant.

diawl2
    Free Member

DOH! Mine’s a 520. Even more reason. Matt black appeals.

soobalias
    Free Member

on a £ for lb basis, yeah i guess its relevant.

personally, half a pound either way isnt worth thinking about – that shows in my current bikes and general attitude to riding.

no price premium here tho, pre-ordered PAs at the same price as the current 725 versions.

Ned, typical 725 builds are around the 27-28lb mark for a sensible thrashable build.

The 853 frames will be lighter than the 725 frames as all the main tubes are thinner walled. That weight difference will only be a matter of ounces though. People know the Prince Albert and its reputation, and if they’re seriously considering it, they won’t base their decision on whether it weighs 5lbs or 5.25lbs.

If someone already has a current model 725 frame and they’re happy with it, my honest advice is stick with that unless the 853 tubing and engraved head tube (and a few less ounces) really float your boat. The 725 Prince Alberts are still a perfectly good frame design and material. Once this limited run of 853 Prince Albert Classics are sold out, Prince Alberts will go back to being made in 725 again anyway.

letmetalktomark

Hmmm …… Been after a MK1 for ages.

£295 seems to get you a lot of bike.

Hmmm …… Don’t NEED another HT especially a 26” one but ……..

Bugger.

diawl2
    Free Member

Gone and done it now. Does that make only 9 more needed?

honourablegeorge

soobalias – Member

no price premium here tho, pre-ordered PAs at the same price as the current 725 versions.

Ah – I didn’t realise that.

Shit. I REALLY don’t need one.

soobalias
    Free Member

heh, whats that ‘need’ word you used there mean?

batfink
    Free Member

Ordered one in Grey…. the good news is that I’ve got several months for the “want vs need” guilt to abate 😀

The parts-bin is virtually empty at the moment too – so I see lots of freshly purchased, anodised, cnc’d loveliness in my future

honourablegeorge

soobalias – Member
    heh, whats that ‘need’ word you used there mean?

4 bikes in the shed, including a 140mm 853 hardtail that I bought a few months ago. No physical space for any more.

Minor issues, really.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Ordered one in Grey…. the good news is that I’ve got several months for the “want vs need” guilt to abate

The parts-bin is virtually empty at the moment too – so I see lots of freshly purchased, anodised, cnc’d loveliness in my future

I went for grey too…. the only colour that will go with all my components!

soobalias
    Free Member

george you are looking at this all wrong.

far as i can see you need a bigger shed 😉

HermanShake
    Free Member

I foresee an influx of 520 and 720 frames on the classifieds in a few months!

Crell
    Free Member

Personally I am hanging on for the Ti Alpine ……

^This

Gordymac
    Free Member

Does that make only 9 more needed?

Must be less than 9 now, I stopped dithering and ordered a Sky blue one 😛

diawl2
    Free Member

Torn between a 15″ and a 17″. Anyone ridden both and can provide some feedback? I’m 5’7″ with a 29″ inside leg and currently ride a 17″ PA.

diawl2, my recommendation is go for a 15″ to replace your 17″ and swap your current 50mm stem for a 60-70mm stem.

LoCo
    Free Member

Just decided I’ll order one, at that price I can’t resist 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Me too . The power of “social networks”

souldrummer
    Free Member

I am so tempted but I have an Alpine which I love and a Soul which is fun and an old Kona Explosif, so can I justify another (4th) 853 hardtail frame?? The price doesn’t help as it is such a good deal. I wish I could make a decision….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘853 Prince Albert’ is closed to new replies.