Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 7 speed to 9 speed – what needs to be upgraded?
  • acjim
    Free Member

I'm going to finally take the plunge with my commuter cx and upgrade from my ancient RSX 7 speed gears to some shimano 9 speed.

Obviously I'll need; shifters, cassette, chain and rear mech but what about the front mech and chainset (currently a compact double) – will they need to be swapped too?

oh and if anyone has some 9 speed STI shifters (roadie style) they want to sell do say!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Probably also need a rear wheel and a chainset. I'd have thought the front mech and shifter would be ok.

BigJohn

Sounds a waste of a lot of money.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yep the freehub body is probably too small to fit a 9 speed cassette on so it will get expensive.

odannyboy
    Free Member

how about 8 speed block (if it will fit on the hub) new chain and shifter.
    all only worth considering if your old stuff is completly worn out tho…

clubber
    Free Member

Unless it's a 8/9 speed wheel with a spacer behind the 7 speed cassette (unlikely) then you'll need either a new hub/wheel as appropriate or a new 8/9 speed freehub (if it's a Shimano hub) and some playing around with the spacers on the axle.

The chainset will be fine (assuming it's not too worn)

You don't need a new rear mech. The front mech will work but a newer one will be easier to tune and avoid chain rub.

acjim
    Free Member

Cheers folks – It's already using a 7 speed on a 9 speed cassette with spacers, so the 9 speed cogs will fit ok.

So basically I should try my luck – I reckon the rear mech is sh4gged anyway, and I'll definitely need new chainrings but the more stuff I can keep the better!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘7 speed to 9 speed – what needs to be upgraded?’ is closed to new replies.