Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • 7 seaters …
  • garage-dweller

Firstly apologies to all of you who answered my what estate thread a few months ago as I did stuff all about it.

As it turns out that looks to have been a good thing. For some domestic reasons relating to an elderly and immobile relative we have decided we ought to be getting an MPV or similar.

What I need…

Ability to carry 3 adults including driver (one of the passengers is very immobile and inflexible) and 2 children who are still in bulky car seats comfortably including longer journies with one or both children (6&4) in the rear most seats. (These don’t fit together in a mk3 Mondeo comfortably so big estate is not an option here).

I’d like sliding doors at the back ideally.

I’d like to drop row 3 of seats flat into the floor for 90% of my mileage and putting bikes in the back (but they would get used weekly).

I’d like to be able to fold/drop seats to wedge a bike in diagonally when it’s just me.

The access to front passenger and/or mid row outer seat needs to be good with not too big a step up/not too high seat.

I’m going to be doing 15000 or so miles in it a year so no rattly cans.

My philosophy here is if it’s going to be dull to be drive is going to need to be refined and practical as possible.

Inspire me as to what to look at for a head over heart solution.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My sister has just picked up a Citroën SnoozeFest* that fits the bill, bar the sliding doors. Seems pretty well put together, but being French, the satnav is wobbly at best, and it’s hardly an interesting place to be.

*C4 Picasso.

fadda

Budget? New? Used? Very used…?

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

If you haven’t already, try driving a plush Vito or Viano – I think you’d be surprised how un-van like they can be. Mine’s tuned and quick too and honestly feels more like a car (and mine’s a shabby 2011 Kombi type too with only six seats).

Otherwise I was impressed with Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen van derivatives. Big and practical.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Oh and the Vito is rear wheel drive, which can be fun if you put rubbish tyres on (albeit predictable still)

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

OOPS, double post

garage-dweller

Cfh thanks.

Is the rear row in those decently usable on a long (3hour+) journey?

I’m reconciled to it being dull. It’s to improve an ageing relative’s quality of life and in particular so they can spend more time with their grandchildren and we can take them to visit their extended family 3 hours away/take them away with us without ending up in two cars or being split in half as a family.

Trekster

Touran…..
    Owned one for 5 yrs and 75k most. 2ltr/140 diesel can be fun to chuck around(some on here may not agree)
    Used for biking, could get 3 bikes inside with everyone’s gear. Used to ferry 4 grandkids around. Used for caravan towing. If and when MrsT feels like downsizing from our Sorrento we are likely to get another 😆 She has arthritis btw and we are unlikely to return to a “normal” car due to her mobility issues.
    Big brother, the Sharan or the Seat version?

matt_outandabout

Sliding doors and full size 7 seater? Seat/Vw shalambra….

Fwiw, I have liked the move from Touran to Galaxy. Outrageous amounts of leg room and storage, comfy, cruises the miles on motorway and a peasant enough place to be. Ours is the bigger engine (it wheezes with the 1.8, the 2.0 has been great to have when loaded up with kids, canoes and bikes). Ours is also Ghia/Titanium spec so also has nice toys and seats.
    The extra space over a compact 7seater is all in the rear – legroom in rows 2+3, boot is 50cm longer than the Touran.
    We have done near 50k miles in ours in two years, now at 120k overall. So far it’s cost a wheel bearing and new thermostat, over tyres and servicing. It had just had clutch and exhaust when we bought it.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

The seats are great. I was riding in some taxi Vitos and Vianos too in Madeira and they are so comfortable like mine but obviously much plusher overall. We’ve travelled across Europe in ours and I’ve done it in a oner from Central Scotland through Britain to East Switzerland. It wasn’t much less comfortable than a very comfortable Volvo.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is the rear row in those decently usable on a long (3hour+) journey?

Depends on the size of the passenger. They’re not as good as the ones in the boot of a XC90, but better than those in a Nissan X-Trail or Discovery Sport for example.

(Looked at a lot of different 7 seaters reasonably recently! Bought a XC90. Would be ideal for your needs, bar the height is 3. The Citroën is nice and low. )

garage-dweller

Sorry budget £10-14k preferably lower half of that.

Vans almost certainly not an option.

1. Work probably won’t be happy (needs to be used for client meetings/professional business travel)
    2. Most I’ve driven are a big climb up into the body that my relative probably won’t manage.
    3. Economy and refinement are never as good in a van and my suspicion is they aren’t designed to the same level of occupant safety
    4. Speed limits – I stick to the limits so losing 10mph all over the place is a pain in the arse on long dual carriageway trips (and I do a lot of them)

daviek

We have had a VW Sharan for the past 4 years due to adding hooligan number 4 to the family and I really like it for what can only be described as a bus. You can get 3 big and bulky kids seats in the middle row which isn’t possible in lots of other mpvs that we tried at the time of buying, although you only want 2 its more an indication of size.
    When I have to drive somewhere with my bike I fold down one of the middle row of seats and remove the bikes front wheel and it goes in vertically no problem and the daughters 20″ islabike fits in without dropping any of the middle seats.
    The seats are quite high up but only you can be the judge of what’s too high and I couldn’t live without sliding rear doors anymore!
    Worth a look I’d say

matt_outandabout

Is the rear row in those decently usable on a long (3hour+) journey

In a full size Alhambra/sharah/Galaxy they are nearly full size seats, and when you pop middle row forward a click or two, more legroom in rear row than Touran/Zafira\C4 Middle row….

garage-dweller

I didn’t know the big VAG ones had gone sliding door. Bet they’re out of budget but will check them out.

If I could get everything into a touran sized thing properly that could be tempting for running cost but worry a bit cramped out back.

Anyone had a Zafira tourer?

My instincts if there’s any uncertainty is towards go big over small and use it as a van that’s not a van much of the time.

dantsw13

I have a 7 seater 4×4, but if old infirm passengers will be regular, they can be high to climb into. Other than that, my Volvo XC90 would be great.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

3rd row of seats in a Mazda 5 aren’t a bad size for kids. Bugger all boot space with them up though. You do get sliding doors….

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

And the Mazda is actually ok to drive, too. You’d get latest shape for your budget too.

garage-dweller

Thanks all I see hours and hours of auto trader trawling in my future….

Anything else greatly received. 😀

funkrodent

Steer clear of the Zafira. End of.

If you’re going down the people carrier route it’s worth going big. The Galaxy is a superb motor. Drives like a car, is only a tiny bit longer than a Mondeo estate and I’ve sat comfortably in the rearmost seats (I’m 6’4″). Would recommend one without hesitation and will almost certainly be getting my second one soon. The Sharan/Alhambra is meant to be great as well. If I remember correctly the newer models have an integrated child booster seat in the back. I’d avoid French because… why take the risk..

kimbers

Got one of the pre tourer zafiras on the 10 grand deal

It’s been absolutely fine, no sliding door but 2 years and it’s still been problem keen free, it’s not exactly exciting and the rear seats are only OK for short legs on long journeys, but it’s been great value, highly functional (is a great bike wagon too).

garage-dweller

Steer clear of the Zafira. End of.

Including the new type ? I had a brief ride in one and it seemed quite nice as a passenger (but it was literally days old and ultra high specced).

hammyuk
    Free Member

Caddy Maxi Life ticks every box.
    7 full size seats, twin sliding doors, estate car drive, available in DSG,
    Big boot – even bigger with the rear bench slid out in one.
    Floor pan is low too so no awkward step up.
    There’s pics of mine on a for sale thread somewhere.
    Provisionally sold atm BUT I’ve yet to be paid so …

Sui
    Free Member

I was in a uber plush Vito a few weeks back, was very impressed with how it drove and the interior was lovely and very quite! LOADS of room, and for an immobile relative probably the only real answer i would say.

Sundayjumper

2. Most I’ve driven are a big climb up into the body that my relative probably won’t manage.
    3. Economy and refinement are never as good in a van and my suspicion is they aren’t designed to the same level of occupant safety
    4. Speed limits – I stick to the limits so losing 10mph all over the place is a pain in the arse on long dual carriageway trips (and I do a lot of them)

3 – My ancient T4 does 45mpg, probably not as good as an estate, but better than an SUV.
    4- That only applies to vans, a minibus (Caravelle, Viano) has the same speed limits as a car.

2 – I once had a Frontera, with a 2″ lift and large tyres. When giving my wife’s great aunt a lift one time we had to fetch her a step to get in & out 😀

khani
    Free Member

The new Doblo looks ok, comes in a seven seat version and easy to get in and out of, you just step in rather than stepping up or dropping down, the rear sliding doors are huge and leave a wide opening, we’ve got the earlier version and our elderly relatives don’t have any problems getting in and out even with mobility issues, and when the seats are down its huge,
    You’d probably get a new one with seven seats for 14k if you look around and haggle..

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Last of the mitsubushi grandis with the VAG diesal, bullet proof and drive really well suprising boot space with all seats in place (really a six seater) has proper seats in third row – stopped making them in 2010

dahedd
    Free Member

I’d definitely recommend the new Zafira Tourer. We had a 2litre diesel SRI version, lovely car, great for kids & bikes. Had no issues driving from Morayshire all the way to the south of France. 2 adults, 1 6ft tall teen & 2 youngsters. Handled itself very well, pretty nippy too.

I say we had one because it got written off after some dumb Bint on a motorbike came round a corner on the wrong side of the road & went head first into it. Safety features worked a treat.

Now driving a Ford Galaxy. Huge wagon. So much room it’s just daft. Slower,automatic & more boring to drive but it was cheaper & the wife loves it. Note that the Galaxies usually cheaper than the S Max even though it’s bigger. It’s not as fashionable apparently.

Avoid at all costs a Picasso. 2 folk I know have them & can’t wait to bin them. Constant electrical issues.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Another vote for the VW Caddy Maxi – my 95 year old mum can get in it, and it’s got loads of space.

garage-dweller

Zafira tourer is out I think. We won’t get a walker or wheel chair in the boot with row 3 in place so best guess means no Mazda 5, Touran or other mid size. Also how close are those rear seats to the rear window??? How the heck would any one survive even a modest rear ending?

The Caddy Maxi wasnt something i had thought of. The taxi one I went in a while back was a bit of a nail. It seems to tick all the relative lugging boxes but based on limited passenger experience of them my concern would be it’s still ultimately a van mechanically and structurally. Maybe I need to go and try one but my fear is it would suck at the waft along in tranquility at 50-70 that is 80% of my driving. It has to do this sort of thing well as I can spend six hours+ on the road for work in a day. I’m prepared to be convinced otherwise so try if you like!

My experience of the Caravelle (dads 2004 one) is despite all its fanciness it still doesn’t do refinement anywhere near equivalent to a vehicle designed as a car from the ground up (my Mondeo is older with twice the mileage and it’s still smoother and more comfy). I find it hard to believe a caddy would bridge that gap better. But I’m prepared to find otherwise.

What’s the floor height like in a Viano (I agree with whoever posted above it does seem pretty close to car refinement on taxi passenger experience anyway)? Big step up?

porter_jamie

i have a viano which has 7 seats. its a 3.0 auto and is so much better than the t4 it replaced its not even funny. it’s so quiet and refined. i dont think its a big step up at all, its nothing like a transit for example. vitos and viano are 100% twin side loading doors. the beauty of the viano is i can fit the second rowforwards or backwards as per a taxi – this makes getting in much much easier, so at least you can try either. if you are local to essex feel free to come and try mine

porter_jamie

oh, and 50 to 70 mph wafting is exactly the sweet spot for my viano.

garage-dweller

^^^ thanks for the offer but we’re in Hampshire. I hadn’t thought about the taxi layout. That might bee good. Exit stage left to auto trader.. .

PePPeR

Kia Sedonas are great old vans, the later 2.2 is a much more economical engine, but the 2.9 is grunty and effortless.

Scamper
    Free Member

Having looked into this in great length myself, go for maximum fire power on the size front, if it’s a proper car you want. Forget your S Max or C4 Picasso. Or touran. Even the latest Galaxy I think has been downsized. The Seat Alhambra will have both kids and the 3rd adult in the second row comfortably. Not quite as good to drive as an s max in terms of feeling like a small car or going round corners, but is still very refined with the best version of the VAG 2.0 I’ve driven yet. Build quality is leagues ahead of my previous Passat. Only down sides is fuel economy could be better and the poor turning circle.

Sundayjumper

You seem to be looking for a car that is the size of a van (full 7 seater + boot space for a wheel chair etc), while still being a car just like your Mondeo.

This might be tricky.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The Caddy will sit at 75, give 45+ with the cruise on and be under 3k rpm
    It is seamless with the DSG fitted.
    OP – whereabouts are you?
    Welcome to try mine if only to see if it suits

shifter
    Free Member

Suburban ftw

garage-dweller

You seem to be looking for a car that is the size of a van (full 7 seater + boot space for a wheel chair etc), while still being a car just like your Mondeo

To clarify because I know what you’re getting at…

I don’t care if it’s the SIZE of a van and I don’t care if it’s not as sharp to drive as a car.

I do care if it has terrible road and engine noise and slams and bangs about like a lightly loaded panel van because I still have to do 15000 miles on it a year on my own.

If anyone knows where I could all the moon’s of Jupiter on a stick that’d be cool too. 😆

garage-dweller

Too late to edit above.

My wife would have preferred a mid size if feasible. Personally I’m happy with the extra size of a Galaxy sized thing but I would have happily shrunk a little from that if it would have done the job.

I think I do need to look at the Caddy because it seems so good on the practical level.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘7 seaters …’ is closed to new replies.