Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 69ers; poor man's 29er or best of both?
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

The bike itch is back. I’ve chatted to some of you about 26 vs 29 for a rigid which also throws up the 3rd variable.

Easier absorption up front with good old fashioned 26″ acceleration in’t back…or bicycle travesty which doesn’t behave properly?

Pics of yours and opinions wanted please 😀 Especially if anyone’s done a c456 69er.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

What about a 29er with very light wheels.

saracendan

Tried this last weekend at round 3 of the thetford winter series. Replaced the 26 front with a borrowed 29 on my viper hardtail running exotic 100mm suspension corrected carbon forks. Definitely helps to smooth out the trail surface with no loss of speed/acceleration noted. Only issue I had was getting used to having to be more aggressive with steering input to turn in.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i’ve only ever ridden a 69er (trek)

seems fine, but i’d never know!

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

i had a Io built up with Hummingbird forks, it rode so so well.

you have the best of both worlds but a funny looking bike (i thought it looked ace :D)

i’d have a 2008 Trek 69er in a heart beat if i ever find one in my size

clubber
    Free Member

not worth the effort ime but its been covered recently in the thread below and the one I link to in it.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tell-me-about-69ers-hummingbird-content

HermanShake
    Free Member

Steve, I don’t have the budget for ultra light components. However with regards to the topic that is a good solution.

I thought the smoothing would be the outcome. With regards to steering, would it feel like running a longer stem? Or is part of it being taller and having further to lean the bike? (or none of the above!?)

HermanShake
    Free Member

clubber, thanks. Experience based advice is gold.

It’s hard to know how much of a difference the 29″ wheel makes when there are so many variables affecting performance.

I’ll admit that a departure from 26″ for the sake of it is part of the curiosity. Ah the sweet unknown….

For the sake of illustration the rigid (26, 69 or 29) would be for rides such as the South Downs Way and other longer distance, less technical stuff. Big wheel speed is an attraction, but if I can afford a lighter weight 26″ wheeled bike the difference may be negated.

clubber
    Free Member

you drop the stem and bars to match so the height at the grips should be the same.

As to feel as I said its so similar as to ignore it. for me though that’s the problem – it’s just not different enough to be worth bothering.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Trek 69er (singlespeed), is one of the best HT’s I’ve ever ridden. Better handling than any 29er i’ve ridden. The rollability, grippy cornering of a 29er + the acceleration, tight back end + power transfer of a 26″ HT. Very capable, fast riding bike. But it was designed really well to be what it is. Harder to get something similar from an adapted 26″ frame, probably.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘69ers; poor man's 29er or best of both?’ is closed to new replies.