Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 44mm headtube and tapered forks
  • z1ppy

We’d like to fit tapered fork to a Kona Unit (2013 with 44mm headtube), so am after some advice on headsets (STW’s favorite topic)
    The original headset is listed as a FSA TH ZST No.10

The orignal headset is zerostack/semi intigrated, do we need to use an external cup at the bottom to take the 1.5 headset?

I ‘think’ that SSC’s “Tapered Headset T4 – 44mm Taper Conversion” might be what we need to use but would like some confirmation

goodgrief
    Free Member

Hope type H, just been fitting one to my kona honzo today
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-pick-n-mix-headsets-bottom-cup/rp-prod70727

z1ppy

cheers, look like that and some 120mm forks might lift the front end up too much, so maybe a straight steerer 120mm might be a better plan.

pushbikerider
    Free Member

<actually I’m not sure that would fit the top of your headtube…>

Or a slightly cheaper, but more garish option, from Nukeproof:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-warhead-44iets-headset/rp-prod85845

cookeaa

S.H.I.S. : EC44/40

And the SSC Tapererd T4 you linked says it has an EC44/40 lower cup, so you’re golden…

or you could just get Hope a Type H lower cup on its own, for ~£30 and reuse the original upper headset components.

z1ppy

cheers all, look like the owner given up due to brain ache and ordered a straight steerer fork! 😯

Though as mentioned, using an external lower headset and 120mm fork might life the front end far too high, as it really only suited for 100mm… he’s just hoping to move the forks onto a Parkwood at a later date.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Hope Cup E or G are internal cups that will take a tapered steerer in a 44mm HT .

andyl
    Free Member

Hope Cup E or G are internal cups that will take a tapered steerer in a 44mm HT .

no they won’t. It’s not possible to fit a tapered steerer internally on a 44mm head tube. Do so you would need bearings and a headset cup with combined thickness of <3mm as 1.5″ is 38.1mm.

Has to be an external lower cup.

Daffy

A Chris King Inset 7 will do what you ask.

spectabilis
    Free Member

no they won’t. It’s not possible to fit a tapered steerer internally on a 44mm head tube. Do so you would need bearings and a headset cup with combined thickness of <3mm as 1.5″ is 38.1mm.

Has to be an external lower cup.

YES 😳 Don’t what I was thinking there ! I was even sat looking at the damn chart as I typed lol ….

Got two custom builds here I’m working on was sure the one with internal was a tapered steerer but obviously not as you stated impossible!

///….I’m going to the pub

ajt123
    Free Member

Don’t go Nukeproof – don’t last long and hard getting spares for when the bearings do wear out.

M:Part seems to be doing well thus far as a replacement. Quad sealing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

or you could just get Hope a Type H lower cup on its own, for ~£30 and reuse the original upper headset components.

That’s what I did, original cheepie CC headset still in the top as IME top bearings last almost indefinately.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘44mm headtube and tapered forks’ is closed to new replies.