Home Forums Chat Forum 36 points and still on the road…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 36 points and still on the road…
  • ratherbeintobago

According to the BBC:

The second-highest points total – 36 – for a person still driving went to a man from Warrington, Cheshire, who was caught driving without insurance six times in less than two weeks between February and March last year, the IAM said.

“Drivers must expect that 12 points means a ban or the whole system falls into disrepute.”

jon1973
    Free Member

Driving without insurance should get you banned, irrispective of how many points you already have.

ratherbeintobago

Apparently, the Police are entitled to impound the vehicle if there’s no valid insurance. So, the question arises, given that he was stopped six times within two weeks, why wasn’t his car taken away?

CaptJon
    Free Member

ratherbeintobago – Member
    Apparently, the Police are entitled to impound the vehicle if there’s no valid insurance. So, the question arises, given that he was stopped six times within two weeks, why wasn’t his car taken away?

Twist: he was driving a police car.

wwaswas

Didn’t Guy Martin have over 20 on his but wasn’t banned ‘cos he needed it for his ‘work’?

I was always surprised that he was still the ‘salt of the earth’ and everyone’s new favourite enthusiastic and chipper northerner after I found that out.

from mbr;

He rents a house, but owns a £140,000 supercar. This is a man who’s got his priorities right. “I haven’t driven it this year”, he explains. “I need to sort out the insurance, but I’ve got 21 points on my licence, so I might need to earn a bit of overtime”. 21 points? How is that even possible? “I just keep getting caught in the van. I was in court last Friday. The judge asked me if it would affect my living if I couldn’t drive. I said I race motorbikes, I race mountain bikes and I go to work and if I can’t drive I can’t do any of them. He gave me three points and let me keep my licence”.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve just murdered someone but you can’t put me in prison because it’ll affect my livelihood.

The ridiculous farce of the legal road system in this country is simply laughable, or it would be if it wasn’t getting people killed. If you can’t live without your car, stop driving it like a bell end. If you can’t do that then you’re clearly not fit to be on the road and all privileges should be removed. You’ll have a to get a job that doesn’t involve driving.

ratherbeintobago

If you can’t live without your car, stop driving it like a bell end.

+1.

Driving isn’t a right, despite the way the legal system seems to treat it in the UK; if loss of licence affects your ability to earn a living (it would affect mine) then don’t drive like a knob.

irc
    Free Member

Maybe it was. Because he gets it back if someone else who is covered by another insurance policy picks it up on his behalf or if is taken back on a low loader.

I believe that this loophole means that many insurance companies amended the “drive other vehicles” cover to exclude this.

antigee
    Free Member

Remember being asked by a sales reps solicitor to confirm would lose job if lost licence for drink driving. I sent the solicitor the notes on the guys verbal warnings relating to accident record and a written warning concerning a suspect drink drive incident reported by a colleague. Said he’d be offered a role that did n’t require to drive. He deserved to lose it just hadn’t been caught before.

Allowing people with points to stay on the road is just another acceptance that bad driving is really quite ok

ratherbeintobago

I believe that this loophole means that many insurance companies amended the “drive other vehicles” cover to exclude this.

Now you mention it, I think my current policy has the ‘other vehicles’ clause removed.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I seem to remember asking. I have cover to drive another car, provided it’s insured by someone else. But it’s worth checking.

And in my mind, it’s a thing for the unexpected: someone taken ill or similar.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘36 points and still on the road…’ is closed to new replies.