Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 30.9 to 31.6 seatpost shim solved!!!
  • ti456neal
    Free Member

For all those that have been wanting to fit a 30.9 post into a 31.6 seat tube, I have found a cheap answer that doesn’t involve cutting up coke cans…….

Purchase a USE aluminium seatpost shim sized 31.6 – 32.4, I bought mine from chain reaction for about a fiver.
    There is already a slot cut down the length of this already, simply trim 4mm off one side, effectively widening the slot.
    Slip shim into the seat tube, if the gap in the shim has closed up it may be necessary to trim a tiny bit more off, but don’t go mad.
    Slide your post in and it should be a nice slide fit.
    Sit back, admire your work and feel smug.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Ooooh how interesting! When you say “simply trim 4mm off…” – how easy did you find that?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

or just buy a USE 30.9-31.6mm shim for £4 from ukbikestore

mr_mills
    Free Member

or just buy a USE 30.9-31.6mm shim for £4 from ukbikestore

You can’t because they don’t exist, hence the need to bodge one as above. USE shims are £6.99 on ukbikestore – where are you looking?!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes they do i had one for my joplin on an MMMbop and sold it on here smart arse!!

psychle
    Free Member

Now now kiddies… I too searched high and low for a 30.9-31.6mm shim, could not seem to find one through any of the online chaps, so not sure if they’re still being made (not listed on USE’s own site for instance). Luckily sourced one of the forum, happy days 🙂

mr_mills
    Free Member

cruzheckler – Member

yes they do i had one for my joplin on an MMMbop and sold it on here smart arse!!

Hmmm well in that case can you post a link to one (for £4) then pwease?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

will try to find where i bought it from i am sure it was ukbikestore or maybe parkers

curlie467
    Free Member

You can get them as i have bought one recently and sold it on, you can get them from winstanleys.
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/31366/USE_Seatpost_SS_309mm_Shims
    It says no-stock but it did when i ordered mine but still got it within a week.
    Oh, and when i searched for one it took about 10 seconds on google.

psychle
    Free Member

Your google-jitsu is much better than mine then, I couldn’t find it for the life of me! 😳

Yours arrived the other day btw, thanks for that 🙂

mr_mills
    Free Member

I couldn’t find any on google either, but I just phoned Winstanleys and they reckon they can get them!

ti456neal
    Free Member

I trimmed mine with a normal pair of kitchen scissors as it’s very thin aluminium.
    I did try to get a 31.6 shim but everywhere said out of stock, even rang USE as they are local to me, but no luck.
    Sorry guys, didn’t mean to waste anyone’s time, just trying to offer a solution to a problem.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Well I’ve ordered one from Winstanleys now so I shall wait and see what turns up (probably a bigger shim with 4mm chopped off 🙂 )

curlie467
    Free Member

Yours arrived the other day btw, thanks for that

Excellent, i trust it arrived in one piece?

DT78
    Free Member

I bought my 30.9-31.6 shim from winstanleys a month or so ago, you can buy direct from USE but they charge a silly £5 postage I seem to remember…

psychle
    Free Member

Excellent, i trust it arrived in one piece?

Yep, all good, thanks for the excellent packaging 🙂

nuke

So we learnt a lot from this thread: yes you can buy 30.9mm – 31.6mm shims and cruzheckler = racing_ralph 😉

psychle
    Free Member

cruzheckler = racing_ralph

Good pickup there! 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘30.9 to 31.6 seatpost shim solved!!!’ is closed to new replies.